Conquest vs. Voyager???

gilly99

We are taking a cruise for my 40th birthday in April..... and due to budget, have narrowed it down to these two cruises, sailing out of TX. We have a 7 y/o girl and 10 y/o boy. We have done the Disney cruise three years ago and they both loved it, but that isn't an option for us this time. I am looking for feedback between these two ships. For cost and itinerary (Jamaica, GC) I am leaning toward Carnival Conquest. There seems to be a lot more activities on RCCI Voyager, but it goes to Hondouras???? I haven't been able to find info about the kids clubs (specific times/activities available) on either ship. I am worried about my kids having enough to do on sea days... we live two blocks from a huge aquatic center, so I don't think the ship pools will interest them much, lol. Can anyone help??

Thanks,

Linda

I have been on the Conquest, and I would not take my daughter on it. The ship itself is very difficult to get from one place to another and feels VERY crowded. Also, I would not take a child off the ship in Jamaica no matter which ship I took there (just my personal choice).

There are many more daytime activities on RC ships than Carnival ones. Carnival seems to gear up after 10 p.m. Also, two words: Rock Wall. Kids (and adults) love it!

Also, two words: Rock Wall. Kids (and adults) love it!

Don't forget the ice skating rink and the mini golf as well.

I cannot comment on Conquest as I have not been on her, but I have been on Voyager (twice) and can tell you there are tons of things to do for all ages.

From what I researched, Roatan has good beaches and good snorkeling so if your kids are into water activities that would be a great option.

There will be plenty for your kids to do! On Sea Days, Adventure Ocean on RCI is open from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Then there is Late Night Party Zone from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. with a charge per hour for your kids.

Each session has a different theme and all activities relate back to that theme.

Have you posted this on the carnival message board? We are also trying to decide between these two ships given we live in TX and want to go out of Galveston and I am curious about the response you get from the carnival board.

We have been on Voyager in the past and it was great, we just wanted to try something different, however, we are a little hesitant of carnival given the reviews seems to be mixed depending on the ship.

I I would not take a child off the ship in Jamaica no matter which ship I took there (just my personal choice).

I agree on this. Been there twice, and if I get there again, I'll probably stay on the ship myself.

But we did not experience the difficulites on getting around on Conquest. We thought the ship was fine. I haven't been on Voyager but I hope to at some point. Honestly, my son (6) is thrilled on any ship we've been on. But I would love to ice skate on a ship, though I don't relish the thought of packing my skates (I hate rentals!).

But I would love to ice skate on a ship, though I don't relish the thought of packing my skates (I hate rentals!).

Carmen, pack your skates. They have special times just for people that bring their own skates so it would get you more skating time (not that you need it at the moment, you could probably go outside and skate in your yard at the moment!:p).

For those that have concerns getting off the ship in Jamaica, do you know if there are the same concerns in Roatan? Either place, we would probably do an organized tour of some sort. Would that be more safe? I have not posted on the carnival board yet. Anyone here with kids gone on the Carnival Conquest??

Jamaica is really the one port in the Caribbean that I consistently see posts regarding safety issues. I did not experience them myself and really enjoyed myself in Jamaica (well before I got hurt but that has to do with me being a klutz and not Jamaica:p).

As far as Roatan, so far in my research, I've only seen positive posts about Roatan.

So has anyone been on BOTH Carnival and RCCI (on these class of ships) that could compare the kids clubs between the two??

This may be more dependent upon your children combined with the kids clubs. There is also a component that you may not be able to rate, and that would be the number of kids participating in your children's age groups. My DS who is 6, is pretty darned happy just about anywhere. And he doesn't care how many kids are or are not there. He seems to have a good time no matter what.

So has anyone been on BOTH Carnival and RCCI (on these class of ships) that could compare the kids clubs between the two??

I've been on both cruiselines, not those classes, but as far as the kid's clubs go they are the same fleetwide for each cruiseline.

You can compare activities by clicking the link in my signature then seeing the different schedules (I have Carnival and RCCL listed on the left hand side after you click the link)

My kids love BOTH of those clubs. My youngest (age 3) likes Camp Carnival better. But my oldest likes RCCL's AO better. And both like the RCCL ships more. But they had fun on every cruise.

I agree on this. Been there twice, and if I get there again, I'll probably stay on the ship myself.

But we did not experience the difficulites on getting around on Conquest. We thought the ship was fine. I haven't been on Voyager but I hope to at some point. Honestly, my son (6) is thrilled on any ship we've been on. But I would love to ice skate on a ship, though I don't relish the thought of packing my skates (I hate rentals!).

Hey, Carmen! How is everything! It's Rachel from the 10/08/06 roll call. I need your address to send you a Christmas card. I didn't send any last year because a couple months after our Conquest cruise, I had a hysterectomy.

My sister is a skate snob too. She competed in high school. She won't go near the rentals!

rwohrlin at cabq dot gov

Archived