Tendering to Belize

treasurespast

We just got back from on the Carnival Valor. I'm just wondering about the tendering at Belize. This is the longest tender trip we've ever had to take at any port, I would guess about 5 miles. It took maybe 25 minutes or so to get to the port. Are there other ports where you have to tender and it's a longer boat trip?

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who have yet to visit this port, the waterfront area is too small to support a large cruise ship dock. If you wish to go ashore here, you must ride the tender boat. The last time I was there, they are starting another mooring project about a half mile closer to shore, but it will be some time before it is ready for service.

I know someone had a discussion not so long ago about trying to get on one of the earliest tenders. I remember reading that the cruise line excursions typically get the early ones. But who do you ask to try and get the earliest possible tender. We would like to get off the boat as early as possible for our privately planned excursion.

the problem with wanting to get off early, is that there are 2,000 other people with the same idea, who (all) think they deserve early tender. some ships have concierge sevice for their suites and past passengers. but, usually, it's a first come/first serve for tender tickets...after suites and ship booked excrusions. in the case of my ship, the tenders held over 50 passengers.... with 2 to 3 tenders, taking 15 mins to fill, it wasn't long for the others to start boarding. but they have to keep order or someone will get hurt. in our case, security was at each deck level, around the stairs/elevators, keeping order. the lines went from deck 4 (tender gangway) to deck 7...up the stairs, 3 abreast and they were starting to try to push their way through. (people can get nasty:mad: )

there are several tenders and when it first starts..as soons as one leaves, another takes it's place.

if you do manage to get a early ticket to by-pass the lines, don't tell anyone...it will cause mass complaints at the customer service desk ("you let them" "you gave them a ticket")

Archived