Cave Tubing concerns

stormycat

Yes it gets dark in some places. But there is outside light in places you don't expect. Everyone has head lamps.

We were there on a sunny day and it felt like there was light most of the time. I think once we all turned our lights out. It didn't seem completely dark for too long. Go around a bend and there was outside light.

It would be a shame to miss out on a great excursion like this.

I am claustrophobic, and also concerned about how long we will be in the caves during our upcoming cave-tubing adventure. Don't think the dark will be a problem, but the enclosed feeling will most likely get worse the longer that I am inside. Any advice??

Would you feel uncomfortable in an auditorium? If not you should be OK. These caves are HUGE. You could get a 747 in there. Not at all like any cave I've ever been in in the US. They are dark when everyone turns out their lights, but that lasts only a minute or two.

Hi KrusII

We were connected together by holding each others legs. They did this to make sure we'd stay together and that no one would drift away from the group. This allowed them to navigate us as a group through the cave. I know it was a comfort to my wife because she wasn't crazy about going through the caves on her own.

The caves are definitely huge. Claustophobia shouldn't hold you back from this excursion.

It's also a bit dark in the caves, btu you're given a light to put on your head (as is everyone else) so the caves wind up with a nice glow. ;)

The caves are beautiful!! Don't hesitate to try it!! :D

I am very afraid of the dark.... but I made it through the caves just fine!!! As stated, you do have a head lamp ( like a miners lamp). I also had my son with me who was 6 at the time. When he became too afraid, I would take my head lamp and put it around my neck like a necklace and shine it up towards my face... this would give him a good view of my face and he could also shine his light on me.

The caves are a pretty long.... we did a private tour so we went through 2 caves. ( when you do the ship tour you usually only get the one cave) There were times that I did feel like I was in the dark for a long time... but every once in a while you would find a hole from the top that had sun light peaking through.

Also, as stated before, there are times that the guides have everyone turn off their head lamps.. just for a minute.... to really get a feel for the vast darkness of the cave.... this did freak me out a bit... but I was right by my husband and son and could talk to them and hear them. The guides only do this for about a minute... so it really isnt that bad.

The only thing you really need to pay attention to is when your guide is leading you and tells you "bottoms up"... this means you are coming to a really shallow area where the rocks will smack you where the sun dont shine if you dont lift your bottom up.

In the end, I did it and my 6 year old son did it and we had a great time!!!!

I am very afraid of the dark.... but I made it through the caves just fine!!! As stated, you do have a head lamp ( like a miners lamp). I also had my son with me who was 6 at the time. When he became too afraid, I would take my head lamp and put it around my neck like a necklace and shine it up towards my face... this would give him a good view of my face and he could also shine his light on me.

The caves are a pretty long.... we did a private tour so we went through 2 caves. ( when you do the ship tour you usually only get the one cave) There were times that I did feel like I was in the dark for a long time... but every once in a while you would find a hole from the top that had sun light peaking through.

Also, as stated before, there are times that the guides have everyone turn off their head lamps.. just for a minute.... to really get a feel for the vast darkness of the cave.... this did freak me out a bit... but I was right by my husband and son and could talk to them and hear them. The guides only do this for about a minute... so it really isnt that bad.

The only thing you really need to pay attention to is when your guide is leading you and tells you "bottoms up"... this means you are coming to a really shallow area where the rocks will smack you where the sun dont shine if you dont lift your bottom up.

In the end, I did it and my 6 year old son did it and we had a great time!!!!

How did the 6 yo like it? My 4 and 1/2 see pictures and says she wants to do that! Did you see any snakes or anything like that? What ship were you on? Did you ever get nervous about the time? What company did you book through?

Thanks,

misand

I am claustrophobic, and also concerned about how long we will be in the caves during our upcoming cave-tubing adventure. Don't think the dark will be a problem, but the enclosed feeling will most likely get worse the longer that I am inside. Any advice??

My DH wants to do the cave-tubing and I want to do it for him, however, just reading this thread causes me troubling breathing. I too am claustrophobic. For me its mostly the dark. I get a feeling of being trapped when I'm in the dark and I start to get worked up. One thing leads to another and then it just turns into a bad experience. If I felt that the periods of dark or even not being able to see the daylight were very brief, I could handle it.

For me, its the not knowing that gets me nervous. Never having been cave-tubing before, could someone give me a better understanding of the whole event? Can you see sunlight most of the time or just the opposite, hardly at all? How long does the cave-tubing take? Is it a 15 minute thing, or closer to an hour? If I got really uncomfortable, could I go back, or is that impossible? Would I have to continue to the end?

Personally, I find if I know what is going to take place, I do much better. May seem silly, but if someone walks me through things verbally before an event, I can work my way through it because I know what to expect. If I knew approximately how long I would be in the dark or even how long the cave-tubing takes, I would better understand if its for me.

Tks!

My then 6 year old was proud that he did it. Did he like it the whole time all the way through? No... he had a smaller tube but he was still a bit too small to navigate his way around by himself in the tube. We tried linking up with my husband... but being in the middle was not comfortable for me... so, I hooked my foot under DS's tube and kept him with me the whole time. It wasnt too bad.... but boy was my leg sore later. ( you see, I am not the tallest of the bunch myself... I didnt have that great of a reach from in my tube either... boy were we a twosome!!!!)

Anyway, there were times that he was a bit scared by the darkness, that is when I put my lamp around my neck so he could see my face. I never saw any snakes or anything. I am sure they were in the water and in the rain forrest.. but they didnt want to see me as much as I didnt want to see them!!!!

We used www.belizecavetubing.com they were very professional and at no time did we feel concerned about returning to the ship on time. It is long ride out there and I suggest bringing a change of clothes or a sweathshirt for the ride back ( after being in the water).

I personally think 4 is a bit too young for this trip. It is a long drive, then there is the long walk through the rain forrest ( DH had to carry his tube and DS's tube the whole way) The time in the caves is about an hour and then there is the ride back. ( we stopped at a local restaurant for lunch afterwards... delicious but not for picky eaters like our son... I had a jar of peanut butter and some bread for him to eat there!!!!) Then, there is the long ride back to the ship.

over the edge.... i understand your needed to know what to expect. I have similar issues... I really wanted to do this and I did it!!!! There were times that I was a bit afraid... but you can always let your guide know that you are a bit afraid and want to stick right next to him!!!! But once you start into the walk heading towards the caves.... there really is no turning back!!! it would not be safe for you to walk back yourself and the guide needs to lead the group forward. All the guides that go there are really good... and helpful. they want you to enjoy and will help any way they can!!!

I have to say the funniest part of this trip was the entering into the water in our tubes. The water was not deep enough to jump in from the rope swing... so, picture this if you can. The guide is on a ledge... he holds your tube in the water and leads your bottom to the tube. You are on the ledge and you kind of hold this rope in a repelling position ( the guide at this point is positioning the tube under you)... the guide tells you to let go.. and boom... you fall into the water with your butt smack dab in the middle of the tube!!!! Graceful it is not.... but funny!!!!!

Archived