Driving Time question in Kauai

tofuyan

It's a bit more than 40 miles to Hanalei and the majority of that is not at freeway speeds. I think 1 hour is optimistic. I'd plan on 2 to 2-1/2 hours each way so that you can take in the sights and make a few stops. Sure, you could just blast up the island to Hanalei, but there's so much more to see and to be savored. Have you considered continuing on to Ke'e Beach? It's basically the end of the road and a really lovely beach. Also, the traffic into and through Lihue in the afternoon can be quite heavy; you need to allow an extra 20 minutes or so for that.

beachchick

You can absolutely make it to Hanalei, and it would be the BEST use of your time on Kauai. It is truly amazing.

I would suggest you stop at the local beach at Hanalei Bay for some nice swimming and taking in the majestic views.

The beach at the end of the road is over rated and over run.

Laura

You can absolutely make it to Hanalei, and it would be the BEST use of your time on Kauai. It is truly amazing.

I would suggest you stop at the local beach at Hanalei Bay for some nice swimming and taking in the majestic views.

The beach at the end of the road is over rated and over run.

Laura

We were last at Ke'e a year ago and, while it is definitely "over run" in terms of barely adequate facilities and lousy maintenance, I don't think the beach itself is overrated. Even on a windy day, it was protected enough to enjoy a picnic and a bit of a swim (in the shallow area by the shore). There were some excellent waves for experienced (I emphasize: experienced) surfers too. It's not our favorite Hawaii beach or even our favorite Kauai beach, but it is one that we enjoy.

Hanalei was much rougher than Ke'e that day, but I agree that it is usually an excellent choice for relaxing, great views, and some swimming.

beachchick

Archived