Upsells

NorthernNeighbour

This April will be my 14th NCL cruise. I have ONLY received one Upsell call. It was a great upsell, that has caused my family ONLY to cruise with a balcony now. ;) We went from an inside to a AF. We booked with a TA, and received the phone call one month before our sail date. We usually travel during school breaks, so that is why we do not get an upsell , our sailings generally are sold out by the time final payment is due. Good Luck to everyone, I wouldnt mind another phone call!:D

Well, I think what gets you an upsell may be the original price you paid for your cruise. When I've been reading about upsell experiences on the boards, people aren't saying what they paid. but I can tell you that in a million years I never expected the upsell fairy's call, but it happened. I have never sailed NCL before. I bought and paid for my January cruise last April through an American Express auction for a bargain price. The deal I got specifically said no upgrades. I was really surprised a few days ago when the offer came in. So now I'm thinking they look at ways to get more money out of the people who paid the least. they get to fill empty cabins and get more money. It's a win/win!

Now, I know every time somebody thinks they figured it out, somebody comes along and has a story of why it can't be. so I'm wondering, could it be that they choose the people who paid the least for the first shot at upsells?

I thought I had it figured out (earliest booked get an offer), but on a recent thread, a poster who had booked only a week earlier got an offer. What's up with that?

Weren't you just saying on another thread that it's so much more fun speculating? :D I think there's no rhyme or reason to who gets called. Except maybe for those who booked stern cabins... ;)

Weren't you just saying on another thread that it's so much more fun speculating? :D I think there's no rhyme or reason to who gets called. Except maybe for those who booked stern cabins... ;)
You're right, Becky! That was moi. And guess what? We usually book stern cabins. :D I'm speculating that's why we've gotten those calls. ;)

OTOH, you may not want to give up the view of an aft AF for a midship suite.

Dave

If it was a good upsell deal, we'd give up an aft AF for a full suite regardless of where it was on the ship. (Well, actually, we did.) The aft location is great, but not worth missing having the full suite perks (as long as the upsell price is right for us).

I can't imagine saying no to a sweet deal because of aft versus non-aft.

beachchick

• 1 month later...
My e docs just became available for our 2/9 cruise. I had a BA guarantee and was assigned a BA. Does this mean my chances for an upgrade or upsell are slim or do those things happen after e doc first become available?

Frank,

Our 2/9 sailing is pretty sold out so it will slim to none to get an upgrade since you are already at the top of the upgrade chain short of being in a suite.

We booked a BC Gty and got upgraded to a BA. Come by the rollcall and say hey. We have a couple of Meet & Greets scheduled and are also doing a paid one hour cocktail party. Click on the link below to get to the rollcall.

Dave

Two weeks ago we booked an AE on the Dawn in March (DH, myself and DS). A week later we decided to bring our DD and a friend and booked an inside stateroom across the hall. They had to switch us around so one adult was assigned to each cabin. We have 2 different reservation numbers. The only other cabin available that would accomodate all of us would be the AB penthouse, which I would LOVE! Since we have 2 reservation #'s, should I call and ask that they give us one # and have them note we'd be interested in the upsell? I don't think there is anything indicating that we are all one party. Right now there's only one AE left (there were 4 or 5 available 2 weeks ago) and several ABs so hoping for that possibility.

We booked a minisuite on the Pearl (sailing in 3 days on Feb 3!) back in November. A few weeks ago I got an e-mail from the NCL upsell fairy offering an upsell to an AC Penthouse for me and DW for total of $500. I gladly took it, but then found out that particular AC was at the very front of the ship and did not seem to be as big as other AC's. Also DW was concerned about wind on balcony at front of the ship. I called the agent back and explaind our concerns and she offered me an aft honeymoon suite AD for a total of $400 more per couple. I asked her why they chose us and she said hmmmm I'm not sure, you must have sailed with us before, then she looked again and said no that wasnt it because this is your first time on NCL. She refunded me $100 back and we have been even more excited about this trip as we are getting ready to fly down in a couple days....I think the suite is gonna be fab....can't wait

We booked a minisuite on the Pearl (sailing in 3 days on Feb 3!) back in November. A few weeks ago I got an e-mail from the NCL upsell fairy offering an upsell to an AC Penthouse for me and DW for total of $500. I gladly took it, but then found out that particular AC was at the very front of the ship and did not seem to be as big as other AC's. Also DW was concerned about wind on balcony at front of the ship. I called the agent back and explaind our concerns and she offered me an aft honeymoon suite AD for a total of $400 more per couple. I asked her why they chose us and she said hmmmm I'm not sure, you must have sailed with us before, then she looked again and said no that wasnt it because this is your first time on NCL. She refunded me $100 back and we have been even more excited about this trip as we are getting ready to fly down in a couple days....I think the suite is gonna be fab....can't wait

Rainman - same thing happened to us last month on the Jewel - was offered the AC, turned it down because of location. Asked for the AD for less money, and they gave it to us! We LOVED it. I have some of the most beautiful pictures of the sunset view off our balcony. It truly was wonderful. Have a great trip!!!:)

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to report back because I asked earlier on this same thread about getting an upsell and look what happened:

We got a call yesterday (2/19) from our super amazing travel agent that NCL had offered to upsell us to the owners suite ... we definately felt it was a great opportunity and JUMPED on it!!!!! I'm so excited...

When we first booked on 12/8 we were in Ae/12008... then on my honeymoon registry some one purchased us an upgrade to AD/10016 in January...

NOW... we are in AA/12502!!!!!!!

Archived