Princess Denali and McKinnley Lodges and hiking question

clueless2

My wife and I will be taking a Princess Cruisetour in May 08 that includes 2 nights in their Denali lodge and one in their McKinnley lodge.

We'd like to do a little light hiking - maybe a couple of hours & relatively flat (something two 50 year olds with a sometimes bad back and a sometimes bad foot can handle).

What options are available?

Is there a resource on the web that would have this type on info?

My wife and I will be taking a Princess Cruisetour in May 08 that includes 2 nights in their Denali lodge and one in their McKinnley lodge.

We'd like to do a little light hiking - maybe a couple of hours & relatively flat (something two 50 year olds with a sometimes bad back and a sometimes bad foot can handle).

What options are available?

Is there a resource on the web that would have this type on info?

There is all sorts of info about that subject on the alaska Ports of Call forum. Hope this helps you.

Marilyn

Hi, I'll respond on the Princess McKinley lodge, as I have visited there quite a few times last year(being an Anchorage local and its a great 1/2 stop to Denali). First off, the fitness level of Bob - my better half, he does 3-5 miles on a tred mill each day, me? - well I like to be shuttled, and hit the hot tubs - so our walking/hiking vary greatly. He states 'these aren't hiking trails but paths around the lodge'. :-). I state, give me a breather as I watch the vista and Mt. McKinley view. In reality - you will be walking around the property which is on a hilltop. Scenory is great, exersize - not so much - also if it is wet - it will be slippery with the grasses and rocks on the trail. I did the butt landing once on a small incline with smooth tennis shoes.. :-). If you want to WALK - take the free shuttle to Talkeetna, there you will find a tar paved bike/walking path which will be easier. Best thing about McKinley Princess lodge - the deck. One just sits, basks, and enjoys the sounds of birds, the vista of the Mountain, and the never endling daylight.... enjoy.. its a great escape..

we stayed 2 nights in the princess Denali lodge and they were able to shuttle us to a trailhead not far from the visitor's center...we did a wonderful hike to a little lake; there was a bit of terrain, but it was not bad, and neither my back nor my then 5yo son complained too much. There were no real trails at the princess Denali lodge itself, but the shuttle runs frequently and is free.

Archived