Cave tubing for a big guy?

keekahari

My husband and I just returned from Belize on 12/12/07. The cave tubing excursion was a blast! Seeing that I am a slightly larger individual also, I was very worried about the same thing. I found, however, that the tubes are individually assigned, based upon your size. So, the children were given smaller tubes, while the adults used tubes that had "very large" openings (far bigger than I expected). The only downfall (as based upon my size), was the fact that I occasionally got stuck in the shallow areas of the river.

Definitely do not avoid this excursion due to your size, you will have a blast!!!

can you talk a bit about the journey to/from the cave? Is the hike strenuous - muddy - climbing - or steep inclines involved? The length of the walk isnt an issue...but I'm used to walking on a flat paved surface. Not in a swampy jungle!

Also, during the cave tubing - is there any patch of fast and/or deep water?

Thanks for any info....

Not a problem! The walk itself is done on uneven and unpaved ground (primarily small to medium-sized rocks under you), with just a few inclines and declines. Not too bad! It took approximately 35-minutes to reach the cave entrance, and that was at a less than steady pace. Since the rainy season remains in effect in Belize, I will say that the ground was moist and moderately slippery. I wore water shoes, however, and did just fine.

There were a few moments that I wondered if the walk would be worth the tube ride. Shortly thereafter, however, I discovered that it was. The caves were absolutely remarkable!

Give it a shot! The guides will definitely work with you to meet your needs (I never carried my own tube once).

Best wishes--Sandi :p

Oh-by the way, in regard to your water-related question, there was one area of small rapids that we encountered. Although no one else seemed worried by them, I did panic for a second. I think my fears were falling out of the tube or striking a rock. My husband, however, grabbed my hand, and he actually guided me through that area. All was fine. Now, looking back, I realize that the current truly helped to move us along a bit quicker, as there were some areas that you need to paddle through with your arms.

Archived