Any details on the "small engine fire" on Spirit this past week?

bethcollins

I was on the Spirit and it was around 9 pm when the ship started to vibrate, it was very loud and everything shook, felt like maybe we had hit something. Then we heard an alarm but couldn't tell what it was from inside our cabin. About 5 min. later Darin Earl came on the speaker and said it was a false alarm and not to worry. Another 5 min, and Darin came on again and said it was a small engine fire that was completely under control. He said the virbrations was from the engine shuting down but eveything was fine and come and enjoy the show, it was now about 9:30 and time for the second show. Nothing more was said and there were no more problems.

They also have small engines.

What do you think is "small"? I saw a show about a modern cruise ship (RCL Radiance, I think) and one of the engines was a turbine like what powers a jet plane.

I know some ships actually are all electric, where the engines turn generators which produce electrical power which runs DC motors to propel the ship.

Anyway, this really is a serious matter. For all the talk about noro and bedbugs, the real threat out on the sea is fire. If a disaster happens on a cruise ship, it won't be hitting an iceberg (or a barge) it will be a fire.

I often look at and determine whether fire suppression systems are adequate for the occupancy class for work. People are often very shocked to hear that the vast majority of suppression systems are not designed to extinguish fires, only to contain them and keep the fire from spreading.

What do you think is "small"? I saw a show about a modern cruise ship (RCL Radiance, I think) and one of the engines was a turbine like what powers a jet plane.

I know some ships actually are all electric, where the engines turn generators which produce electrical power which runs DC motors to propel the ship.

Anyway, this really is a serious matter. For all the talk about noro and bedbugs, the real threat out on the sea is fire. If a disaster happens on a cruise ship, it won't be hitting an iceberg (or a barge) it will be a fire.

How about the engines in the lifeboats? They're much smaller than the main engines or generators.....

Archived