I am wasting my time and money?

Wheels007

Hello all I am wondering I have a cruise coming up next Jan and would like an opinion if you guys don't mind. I just had bariatric surgery done on the Th of Nov. and am doing good on it. So the question is? Will I do well because I can not eat like I used too and most cruises are eating and drinking and more eating I have better self control than I did before but not that good I think. Will they have food that I can eat (low fat low carbs) and still enjoy my cruise? I am totally happy with my surgery I have lost a total of 55 lbs in under two months and feel great but now I am going to a place where the main thing is eating and drinking. Everyone is very excited about the trip but I am not I am worried about gaining some weight and my Dr. will not be happy about that nor will I. So the question is what do I do? I think this is my way of venting about not being able to taste all of the good food. Thanks for letting me vent have a great day.

In the course of my work I've met several people who have had this surgery and depending on the progress of the patient, the kinds of food they can eat at the 1 yr mark varies. If I were you, I'd discuss this with your doctor(s) who performed your surgery as they can recommend foods that are good to eat while on a cruise or even a land based vacation.

As a side note, my Mum was on an Alaskan cruise with HAL this past summer and at the table next to her were a group of people who could only eat certain foods (things were prepared special for them) due to dietary considerations. So you may want to call Carnival as well and see what your options are.

I do know that at dinner and lunch in the dining room on Carnival ships, they have on the menu low carb/fat *spa* selections which aren't bad.

Hope this helps!

You can still taste all the good foods by just taking a bite or 2 of each thing. For dinner have all your friends/family get something different then you can all have a small bite of each other's food. At the buffet take just a very small amount of each item that is appealing. Enjoy your cruise and don't stress out. Walk everywhere, use the stairs, and that should help you work off the food you consume. I know hubby and I did this and ended up weighing less when we got home than we did heading out.

Sounds like a difficult position you would be putting yourself into. If you decide to go I would keep busy with activities and stay away from the Lido deck food. The possibility of overeating so soon after your surgery might be very dangerous to your health. Are you traveling with someone who can help you?

My dining partner was in a similar situation this past cruise. She was able to easily follow her diet needs on board even eating in the dinning room each night. She ordered what ever looked good to her but kept her total intake down. Between sensible dining and staying active she did not put on weight in fact I think she may have lost a couple of pounds.

I typically lose a few pounds after each cruise, I think because I am more active than I am at home. The food is portion controlled in the dining rooms and, as someone mentioned, the Spa menu is really good. Instead of an appetizer you can always get a plate of fruit and the salads can have the dressing on the side or not at all.

I also would stay away from the Lido deck food if I were in that position. While there are a lot of healthy choices, it can be tempting to grab the not so healthy foods as well. Try to eat your meals in the dining room so you can make sure to limit yourself and see the calorie count on the items on the Spa menu.

The cruise is not ALL about the food - it's about relaxing and enjoying yourself on the ship. There are plenty of activities going on that will keep a person away from the food.

My DB had the surgery done going on 5 years now!! We went on vactions 5 months after his surgery and he ate and drank what every he wanted!!! Stayed active and lost weight!! He weighed 358 and now weighs 195!! So go and enjoy your cruise and eat and drink whatever you want but stay active!!!!:D

Hello all I am wondering I have a cruise coming up next Jan and would like an opinion if you guys don't mind. I just had bariatric surgery done on the Th of Nov. and am doing good on it. So the question is? Will I do well because I can not eat like I used too and most cruises are eating and drinking and more eating I have better self control than I did before but not that good I think. Will they have food that I can eat (low fat low carbs) and still enjoy my cruise? I am totally happy with my surgery I have lost a total of 55 lbs in under two months and feel great but now I am going to a place where the main thing is eating and drinking. Everyone is very excited about the trip but I am not I am worried about gaining some weight and my Dr. will not be happy about that nor will I. So the question is what do I do? I think this is my way of venting about not being able to taste all of the good food. Thanks for letting me vent have a great day.

I had gastric bypass 7 months ago. 2 months after I had surger we scheduled our 4th cruise for next year. I already know going in that I can't eat like I used to. But that's not why I'm cruising. I'm cruising for the fun and enjoyment of the cruise. Yes, they will have low carb and sugar free stuff. If you feel it's going to be a problem for you, you can also request a 'diabitic' diet. On our cruise, I haven't requested anything special but will be bringing my protein drinks with me. I plan on enjoying my cruise just like I used to...but I won't come off the cruise like a bloated whale!

Oh, and by the way, Congrats on the weight loss! You are doing awesome.

There is always the salad bar/Grilled Veggies

At dinner there are Grilled Chicken breasts and there is the SPA menu which is healthier as well.

Breakfasts can be fruit, oatmeal, other healthy items.

I think you will do fine if you go in there with a plan and stick to it.

For my upcoming cruise this is my plan.

Breakfast = Fruit/Oatmeal

Lunch = Salad / Sandwich

Dinner = Splurge a little but try to stick to the healthier items.

Been there done that :D I had weight loss surgery almost 4 years ago. Lapband and I've lost 154 lbs and have been a size 10 for almost 3 years.

I've been on 5 cruises since then without gaining weight. I've never had a problem finding something to eat and I've never gained 5weight since then while cruising. I look forward to my chocolate melting cake every night at dinner and by taking the stairs instead of the elevator it hasn't been a problem. I do NOT eat dessert every day at home.

I skip breakfast.

For lunch I may get a scoop of tuna from the deli or something small like that.

For dinner in the dining room I usually order the seafood or fish entrees BUT that is because that is what I like.

The only problem I have encountered in the dining room since my surgery is--my waiters get a little upset at the beginning of the cruise since I usually eat less than half of anything I order. They think I don't like the food and want to bring me something else :D Now I can just smile and say "no thanks, I'm just full" after the 1st meal or two they understand. To me it is a luxury to order anything I want even if I only take 2 or 3 bites of it.

Our first cruise after my surgery my husband made the comment that I wouldn't be getting my money's worth. I set him straight real quick. Life and cruising is no longer about the food for me. It's about the FUN AND LIVING! I spent too many years being a couch potato with all that excess weight--it's my turn to have fun!

I say go and live it up! You'll be amazed how much better you feel and how much more you can do with 55+ pounds gone off your body!

Happy Sails

Wow, Poptart, you have the most amazing outlook on your life!!! And cruising.

Congrats on all your success and your PMA (positive mental attitude!!!). I hope the OP catches your zest for enjoying a cruise without it being all about over stuffing on food and drinking!!

I wish you continued success, as a nurse I don't always hear about long term success such as yours I'm sure your attitude is a very large part of it all!

Thanks for your post!!

Jan

Wow, Poptart, you have the most amazing outlook on your life!!! And cruising.

Congrats on all your success and your PMA (positive mental attitude!!!). I hope the OP catches your zest for enjoying a cruise without it being all about over stuffing on food and drinking!!

I wish you continued success, as a nurse I don't always hear about long term success such as yours I'm sure your attitude is a very large part of it all!

Thanks for your post!!

Jan

Thank you Jan! I lost more pounds than I now weigh and life is just so much sweeter and fun. I can do so many things I couldn't do before that I don't miss the food at all.

The 1st cruise we went on after my surgery I got up and danced with my husband for the 1st time in public! He was thrilled because he always asked me too and I wouldn't. Things like that are major victories to me that no food in the world could replace.

To the OP--enjoy this life changing journey you have just begun, It is sooooooooooo worth it :D

Hi all thanks a hole lot for you support and I am going to call carnival and ask for a high protein and low fat diet. You guys are great thank you all for your help and support you are what makes this board helpful God Bless and have a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.:D

Archived