My excursion was cancelled- help me figure out new plans!

SingingPixie

OK,

so our time in Belize was shortened, and now we'll only be there from 8am-4:30pm, minus tendering time. Because of this, they've cancelled the Lamanai (which I'd booked) and Xunantunich excursions. They're still offering Altun Ha and Cahal Pech. Should I switch to one of these? Chance a private excursion to Lamanai/Xunantunich? I'd really like to do ruins if at all possible, both for myself and especially for my friend Zac who was really excited about it.

if you go with a private vendor, they should be able to tell you how long the tour is...or control the tour to fit your time. i did lamanai on a ship's tour, everything went great...we made it back 1/2 hr before last tender and we were the 1st bus out in the morning...it's a long, long day.

I did Altun Ha and found it certainly worth the visit (and the bumpy road to get there). It's not a huge site as compared to something like Chitzen Itza, but does have several structures and is nevertheless impressive and interesting. The climb to the top of the main temple is doable, too.

. . . Cahal Pech is far inland, and it probably should have been cancelled if Xunantunich was. But Altun Ha is classed as a "half-day" tour, and there should be no problem visiting--and having a little free time afterwards! The Belize Tourism Board refers to it as a "well-manicured park," and it should be well worth the visit. ;)

Archived