Eastern Caribbean in March 08

marty30907

This is the first cruise to the Eastern Caribbean and our first time sailing in March.

Our itinerary is HMC, St Thomas, San Juan, and Nassau and we are sailing on the Carnival Triumph.

We were wondering how smooth or bad the seas will be. How is the weather during this time?

Any information would be greatly helpful as we plan what to pack.:D

In winter the eastern Caribbean typically experiences the calmest seas and fewest storms of the year. You should enjoy calm, warm water. Only Florida and the Bahamas pose a possible threat as cold fronts can penetrate this far south, albeit rarely by March.

If the weather in Florida is warm and sunny when you put to sea, you can expect similar weather until your last day.

MArty..with the weather that everyone is experiencing this year it really is hard to say how it will be in March.

We just got off the Victory & we went through Tropical Olga. Tropical storms do not happen in December. LAst year we sailed out of Miami with rain & we arrived in Puerto Rico with sunshine.

There really is no safe way to say how the weather is going to be. Just make the best of your cruise no matter what the weather is like. You are what makes your cruise not the weather..

In general, the hurricane season runs from June 1st to Nov 30th. March is usually a very calm/sunny/warm/non-humid time of the year. My favorite time of year up here in NE Florida! So you should be good, but of course you never know until it's time.

We sailed to the EC in late April, and it was smooth, up until the final couple of days on the run back to Miami. I think the combination of no stabilizers (to make time) and 10-12 foot seas played a large part in that.

We were experiencing some significant motion. :p

But, as expressed by earlier comments, the weather is going to do what it wants, and the captain will do what he can to mitigate Mother Natures tantrums.

We are also cruising our first Eastern Carib cruise this March 16! We have done 5 Western Carib and I wonder how much different they could be???? We had completely smooth sailings on all but one night on 5 cruises, and on that night, the Seas were really rocking and rolling! At 2:00 in the am, my crazy hubby was out on the balcony hanging on to the railing loving every minute...me just trying to hang on to the bed :D One night out of 35 isn't too bad though :)

Marty -- I see a link to a roll call in your signature. But you are the only poster on it. However, there is an existing roll call for the Mar 8, 08 Triumph sailing at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=513498. Come on over and join us and find out a bit more about who's already booked on this sailing.

Marty -- I see a link to a roll call in your signature. But you are the only poster on it. However, there is an existing roll call for the Mar 8, 08 Triumph sailing at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=513498. Come on over and join us and find out a bit more about who's already booked on this sailing.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe we will have the whole ship to ourselves!:D

Typically, leaving Florida for the Eastern Caribbean, the waters are rougher than a Western Caribbean cruise. This is because you're cruising through the Atlantic Ocean until you get to Puerto Rico. The Atlantic is rougher than the Caribbean.

In fact, one time the Captain warned everyone before we came into San Juan that the ship would be making a very sharp turn going into the harbor due to the winds. That was in March.

Archived