Barcelona Tours

We were in Barcelona in November for pre-cruise for 2.5 days.

The first day, we bought an all-day ticket for the Bus Turistic (hop-on, hop-off double decker bus). We got to the station about 10am and we had to wait an hour to board, so I'd recommend getting there earlier or waiting until after 1pm to try them. We did the Southern route first. When we came back (to the Placa Catalunya, IIRC-the one at the north end of La Rambla), we did a late lunch. After lunch, we took the Northern route bus and there was no line-this was about 3pm. We didn't do any shopping. Barcelona is a huge city-hard to see all the sights even in two days. There certainly are other touring options.

On our second day, we took a day trip to Montserrat-it was very nice and much easier to do than we had anticipated. You can purchase a Montserrat package at the major metro stations. It is about a 45 minute ride on the train. I'd recommend starting early to avoid the crowds and to get there in time to see the boy's choir, if that is of interest to you. We purchased the package that included the train ascent up the mountain. The other choice is to ride the cable car up and back. In November the crowds were not bad at all and it is amazing how the monastery is built into the mountain side.

We used Rick Steve's book on Barcelona and it is a great resource with all the details on how to do Barcelona and Montserrat on your own. He really makes it easy. It did not take us long to figure out the Barcelona subway system-it is very nice. Montserrat has a website with a lot of useful information, too. Have fun!

There really is no need for an organized tour in Barcelona. The public transportation is expensive and easy to use. The hop on-hop off bus is, imho, more trouble than it is worth as it gets very crowded. I suggest buying the Barcelona Card (unlimited public transportation and discounts to some of the main sites).

Monserrat is well worth the the trip. As mentioned, it is easy to buy a combined ticket.. this is a much more interesting way to go than by tour bus. Unless you have seen the mountains there, you will not understand Gaudi's work.

taxis are reasonably priced and almost always honest. The only negative about Barcelona is that i seems to be the pickpocket/purse snatch capital of the universe, so take precautions.

Paul

Hi-we just returned from Barcelona about a wk. ago and it was one of the highlights of our Med. cruise. We stayed 2 nights post-cruise and purchased a 2-day Touristic bus pass. This is a fabulous way to see the city as there are many routes to choose from. Our hotel was on Las Ramblas,so getting to Plaza Catalunya was only 2-3 min. walk.

We toured Montserrat the day we disembarked from Galaxy and I am so glad we did this! It is such a beautiful place and very serene and peaceful. We didn't see the boy's choir and as someone else suggested,it's a good idea to get there early in the morning as it does get very crowded around noon. We saw the increase in traffic as we were leaving. It's not a long drive from Barcelona-maybe 45 min. drive. My husband loved the chocolate that is made by the local nuns at the convent.

We didn't have any problems with pickpocketing in Barcelona,but I was extremely paranoid,so I may have scared some potential thieves away with my look!!! One thing I shall always remember is the open air market that could have been a scene from 100 yrs. ago in that it was very quaint with Christmas hymns and huge nativity scenes. No Santa Clauses or Jingle Bells to be seen,just old-fashioned enjoyment everywhere. That was very touching for me,as I hate all this commercial stuff around the holidays.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Happy holidays to all:) Shelly

These are the things that we did on a first trip last September...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c74524/Barcelona:Spain:Things.To.Do.html

We planned them all and how to get to them one afternoon sipping coffee at a coffee house with a map and guide book spread out in fornt of us.

Pjk

Hi Barb-We stayed at Hotel Continental right on Las Ramblas. I booked directly with the hotel and requested a balcony room. The balconies are very small,as is the whole room,but it really gives you a flavour of the city. I didn't mind the noise,but it did wake up dear hubby a couple of times throughout the night!!

I believe we paid about 110 euros per night. For us, it was perfect, not so much for its decor(!!)but for its location and the fact that its lounge was a great place for meeting people. Plus,the unlimited buffet of tea,coffee,beer,pop,water,and sweets were a nice addition. For 2 nights post-cruise,it was perfect.

I booked about a yr. in advance! You probably don't have to, but I'm a Type A,so I did!

Have a great vacation! Shelly

My wife and I were in Barcelona on Nov 30 thru Dec 3 when we embarked on NCL Gem trans Atlantic. We stayed at the Hotel Guadi on Nou de La Rambla and were very happy with the experience. It is about 50 yards from Las Ramblas across from Palau Guell. Price was reasonable and within walking distances of much of the citiy's sights. They have a on site restaurant the provides breakfast for 10 Euro pp.

I walked much of the city easily by myself. (Beth was a bit under the weather.) On Sunday, Dec 2 I took a tour with Barcelona Day tour of the Montserrat Monastery that included a Cava winery tour. It was disappointing to find the cava winery is open only in morning on weekends so we could not get to Montserrat for the boys choir short concert. The tour guide was from California and therefore very easy to understand but has lived in Spain for 10 years, so she knows the area well. Excellent combination.

Beth uses a electric scooter to get around. Barcelona is not fully handicapped accessible. She was unable to enter several restaurants with the scooter. She could not go on the Cava tour for it included three long runs of stairs leading down to where wine is aged underground. The streets have good curb cuts but few restaurants have the space to permit a 2' wide scooter to be brought in. Those in Placa Reial seemed most accommodating (besides they were close to hotel and had good food. :) )

I don't know when you are considering trip, but in May '06, I found the Hop-on/Hop-off Bus to be a great form of introduction and transportation. We never waited more than 1/2 hour to recatch bus. One of my traveling companions spent a whole day using this system while the rest of us took a tour to Girona/Figueres. The latter was a highlight for me. Girona is charming and relaxing, and the Dali Museum in Figueres is not to be missed.

Barcelona is easily navigated, and most sights are within short and reasonable taxi ride of one another.

• 5 months later...
My wife and I were in Barcelona on Nov 30 thru Dec 3 when we embarked on NCL Gem trans Atlantic. We stayed at the Hotel Guadi on Nou de La Rambla and were very happy with the experience. It is about 50 yards from Las Ramblas across from Palau Guell. Price was reasonable and within walking distances of much of the citiy's sights. They have a on site restaurant the provides breakfast for 10 Euro pp.

I walked much of the city easily by myself. (Beth was a bit under the weather.) On Sunday, Dec 2 I took a tour with Barcelona Day tour of the Montserrat Monastery that included a Cava winery tour. It was disappointing to find the cava winery is open only in morning on weekends so we could not get to Montserrat for the boys choir short concert. The tour guide was from California and therefore very easy to understand but has lived in Spain for 10 years, so she knows the area well. Excellent combination.

Beth uses a electric scooter to get around. Barcelona is not fully handicapped accessible. She was unable to enter several restaurants with the scooter. She could not go on the Cava tour for it included three long runs of stairs leading down to where wine is aged underground. The streets have good curb cuts but few restaurants have the space to permit a 2' wide scooter to be brought in. Those in Placa Reial seemed most accommodating (besides they were close to hotel and had good food. :) )

I booked months ago Barcelona Day Tours, however, I am hearing horror stories about them and I dont know what to do. Please tell me your experience because I may need to cancel and look elsewhere. Please help

Archived