Car Rental in Galveston

Carnivalbound

I'm trying to figure out how to get my family of 7 from Oklahoma City to Galveston in one car. I was thinking about renting a van and dropping it off in Galveston and then doing the same on the way home. Is there a car rental company near the port? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for me?

I looked into the same thing going to Galveston from Kansas in February. I found out it was much cheaper to rent the vehicle for the week. Matter of fact, it has been some time since I did this, but I don't think there was even a location to drop the vehicle near the port. I found Enterprise to be the cheapest, and as long as you travel in KS, OK, or TX there is unlimited mileage. We got a mini-van for $300 for the week. I don't remember what parking is down there, but I think it was around $50. Anyway, this is my two cents, hope it helps.

It's been one year and a half since I was there. I don't know if it is still the same way it was.

I rented Enterprise from Hobby Airport. Our friends rented Hertz from Bush Airport. The return locations are not near the cruise port, they are 3 or 4 miles away. You can drop your luggage and family at the port and return the car.

The rental companies have vans that can take you back, BUT: by the time my friend finished discussing the overcharges that Hertz tried to give him, the return place was closing, and the courtesy van wasn't there anymore. We shared a cab with other people who had rented from Hertz.

Hertz is the only option in Galveston to pick up a car upon your return from your cruise. Enterprise is no longer open on Sundays in Galveston. Other days of the week would be ok.

Hertz has a rental kiosk in the Carnival port terminal. You have to take a shuttle to the car lot and pick up your car, and then return to the port to pick up your luggage and the rest of your party. This will take about an hour-and-a-half.

If your departure is on a Sunday, you have to leave the rental car at the Hertz office out on Broadway, (office is closed, drop keys and rental agreement in the lock box), call a taxi and go to the port. Hertz will continue to charge rental charges on the car, until they open the office on Monday. You are still responsible for any damages or gasoline theft while the car is sitting on their lot.

For our cruise in March 2008 we are renting a full-size from Alamo for the entire period, parking at the Port of Galveston cruise parking lot, and picking up the car from the parking lot upon return from the cruise.

Total charges for the week car rental and parking, were less than the total of two separate one-way rentals quoted by Hertz.

Hypo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived