Three Queen Tandem Sailing?

Linenatic

Pardon the naive question if this has been posted previously and I missed it, I am only able to frequent the boards here on CC every now and again. Does anyone expect (weather permitting) that on 14 January the three queens will sail together on their southward journeys? I realize that QE2 & QV sail to Florida, as the QM2 sails southward to the Caribbean, but all three have two days at sea. Would one expect to see a similar course for part of the first day at sea?

I ask only because I know in the past, such as on 27 December 04, while sailing the Caribbean the QM2 & QE2 sailed together during a joint day at sea. I would also expect that to reoccur this year during the holiday cruises of the QM2 & QE2 on Christmas day as they are both spending it at sea and arrive in Curacao on 26 December 2007. I have read nothing of that possibility and thought someone may be able to shed either light or a more informed opinion on this matter. I will be sailing aboard QM2 on 13 January 08 and would love to share photographs with others with a different vantage point.

Cheers and happy holidays!

Bret

Hi Bret,

That would be wonderful if they did sail in tandem! Lets hope :D I'm so looking forward to seeing The QEII and QV.

We have a roll call for Jan. 13th if you'd like to join us.

Betsy

It'll never happen. Ian McNaught will be aching to let the ship out, having pootled across the North Atlantic.

And once he does, the other two will be left behind!

Matthew

I was hoping for this when I noticed the other day that all three were headed south. There's no reason for her to have to continue slogging along to Ft. Lauderdale.

I was hoping for this when I noticed the other day that all three were headed south. There's no reason for her to have to continue slogging along to Ft. Lauderdale.

I really do hope you get to see her at 30 knots. It's impressive, especially as you know she's not flat out!

Matthew

Matthew - what a wonderful suggestion!!

Going forwards, how many of her 9 engines would she need to keep up with QV? 5?

Rob,

I love your website! Your section on Mary is wonderful!:D

Betsy

It'll never happen. Ian McNaught will be aching to let the ship out, having pootled across the North Atlantic.

And once he does, the other two will be left behind!

Matthew

If he is told to hold formation then that's what he will do. Do you seriously think that with fuel costs going through the roof (have you not heard about fuel surcharges?) that Cunard will allow the oldest and least efficient of its ships to going speeding off for the sake of it?

Think again

Does anyone know how QE2 at 24 knots compares to QV at 24 knots? One is flat out, one is only half-ahead.

QE2's engine efficiency was very,very good (in 1987). They chose the most expensive, most flexible, most efficient option available. I'd love to see a comparison.

Nobody was being serious Ken, but we like to dream of our lovely old Lady being allowed to stretch her legs.

Does anyone know how QE2 at 24 knots compares to QV at 24 knots? One is flat out, one is only half-ahead.

QE2's engine efficiency was very,very good (in 1987). They chose the most expensive, most flexible, most efficient option available. I'd love to see a comparison......

I think things have changed in nearly a quarter of a century - old things get outmoded and surpassed :rolleyes:

QE2's engine efficiency was very,very good (in 1987). They chose the most expensive, most flexible, most efficient option available. I'd love to see a comparison.

Nobody was being serious Ken, but we like to dream of our lovely old Lady being allowed to stretch her legs.

My notes say QV's top speed is 23.7 knots, so if that's right, she would be needing a push from QE2 to go 24.

I really do hope you get to see her at 30 knots. It's impressive, especially as you know she's not flat out!

Matthew

I really do hope so, too! QM2 was moving smartly along when we were on her, but not anywhere near 30 knots.

I like going fast.

I think things have changed in nearly a quarter of a century - old things get outmoded and surpassed :rolleyes:

Like what exactly? QE2 is diesel, with electric propulsion, with very good heat-recovery for efficiency.

What's changed in those 20 years (where do you get quarter century from?).

Like what exactly? QE2 is diesel, with electric propulsion, with very good heat-recovery for efficiency.

What's changed in those 20 years (where do you get quarter century from?).

I think you will find that QE2 uses quite a bit more fuel than modern ships. I'm sure Peter has the figures at his finger tips :rolleyes:

If she had lasted just another 5 years wouldn't the engines would have been a quarter of a century old ???

Please plant the idea that she needs to "stretch her legs" at some point on the winter crossing. :rolleyes:

I will - of course. Although the idea has already come to him. Last year he was making jokes about us having a day of shopping in New York before coming out to meet Victoria!

I'm SURE he will want to show the new ship what a real ship can do.....

Matthew

I think you will find that QE2 uses quite a bit more fuel than modern ships. I'm sure Peter has the figures at his finger tips :rolleyes:

If she had lasted just another 5 years wouldn't the engines would have been a quarter of a century old ???

I think if you research the propulsion system, you will find that the Wartsila engines used on QV are state of the art in diesel technology. They are far cleaner burning as well, but we just need more of them in the new QE to push her along at a respectable "liner" speed. :rolleyes:

Archived