iPhone WiFi on RCCL ships?

david2673

Hello all,

Does anyone know if you are able to access the internet via WiFi through an iPhone on RCCL Ships, more specifically the Vision of the Seas? I am from Canada and we do not have the luxury of the cheap unlimited data plans like our friends in the US. Data bills up here are ridiculous. How would you like an $85,000.00 a month bill.

http://www.congoo.com/news/2007December15/Hang-Canadian-cell-phone-bill

I thank you in advance for any light you may be able to shed on my iPhone WiFi queary.

David

I wouldn't do it with an Iphone. You can access the WiFi for a fee, but the terminals in the Internet Cafe are faster. With an Iphone, to access WiFi, you'll have to turn the phone on, and it will call to check your voicemails, leaving you open to HUGE at sea roaming charges. I kept my iphone in airplane mode the whole week, and off to not have to deal with these charges. Iphones, periodically "call" to check your voicemails, behind the scenes, if you have any messages, it will cost more than the min or 2 it takes to complete the call. I read an article prior to leaving of people who took their iphone to Europe, had it off, but not in airplane mode, and got HUGE charges just from calling to check voicemail. Having it in airplane mode is the only way to avoid this.

I've never had luck using the wifi function on my iPhone on a RCI ship. Basically, your iPhone is a mini Mac, and RCI's wifi does not play nicely with Macs or Safari. There's probably some crazy way to do it, but IMO, it's not worth the hassle.

You can use Edge, but it's slow and costly.

Find a place in port to check your email.

I'm surprised that Canadian data plans are costly. :(

I've never had luck using the wifi function on my iPhone on a RCI ship. Basically, your iPhone is a mini Mac, and RCI's wifi does not play nicely with Macs or Safari. There's probably some crazy way to do it, but IMO, it's not worth the hassle.

You can use Edge, but it's slow and costly.

Find a place in port to check your email.

I'm surprised that Canadian data plans are costly. :(

The iPhone is not even available in Canada yet so how can there be data plans?

As far as Macs on RCI ships I use their Wi-Fi all the time. Until my last cruise Safari would not log on. I had to use Firefox to log on and off. Only a a minor hassle. Not crazy. An easy workaround. That won't work with an iPhone since you can only use Safari.

Last week I was on Liberty of the Seas and I was able to use Safari to log on and off with no problem. I don't know if RCI changed something or if it worked because I was using the latest version of Safari under Leopard.

The iPhone is not even available in Canada yet so how can there be data plans?

You'd have to ask the OP.

As far as Macs on RCI ships I use their Wi-Fi all the time. Until my last cruise Safari would not log on. I had to use Firefox to log on and off. Only a a minor hassle. Not crazy. An easy workaround. That won't work with an iPhone since you can only use Safari.

Last week I was on Liberty of the Seas and I was able to use Safari to log on and off with no problem. I don't know if RCI changed something or if it worked because I was using the latest version of Safari under Leopard.

I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think that I will just stick with text messages and perhaps use one of the ships terminals for the breif amount of time that I plan on being on the internet. As for the iPhone in Canada, you are correct, it is technically not yet available, but with a little tinkering they will work on any gsm network. But there are other devices that require data plans and they are EXPENSIVE. Unlimited data rates do not exist up here. Bummer.

Have a great night.

I have an iPhone and I had the phone part off the whole time, it checks emails all the time and Im not on a plan I pay for so overage isnt an option. I did boot it up when we went to cozumel and got free wireless pic up which was nice. I did try it standing next to the ship (Navigator of the seas) but it didnt want to let you log in, which im noticing is an issue.

Dont use the ships WIFI though I did on my laptop and its dog slow and the terminals in the library are never in use and much faster with bigger screens for the same price.

Thats easy you can buy a US one on ebay, then you can download a cracked software version of the OS and reflash the phone to use it with a GSM network. Google it and you can find the results and instructions on how to do it. Id link you but I wanna feel special being one of the few iPhone ATT owners, and revel in the fact no other network has them. LOL

Thats easy you can buy a US one on ebay, then you can download a cracked software version of the OS and reflash the phone to use it with a GSM network. Google it and you can find the results and instructions on how to do it. Id link you but I wanna feel special being one of the few iPhone ATT owners, and revel in the fact no other network has them. LOL

lol. I have an iphone too. With AT&T. A few weeks ago, I was in the apple store when some guy walked in with an iphone. It stopped working. He went to the genius bar, and had an appt. The guy took one look at his phone, and said to him "your phone has been unlocked to use with another carrier, and now you're screwed. It will never work again." If you unlock your phone, you kill the warranty and apple won't touch it.

lol. I have an iphone too. With AT&T. A few weeks ago, I was in the apple store when some guy walked in with an iphone. It stopped working. He went to the genius bar, and had an appt. The guy took one look at his phone, and said to him "your phone has been unlocked to use with another carrier, and now you're screwed. It will never work again." If you unlock your phone, you kill the warranty and apple won't touch it.

VERY true!! My Iphone broke about a month ago, the touch screen was unresponsive. Apple gave me a new Iphone on the spot, but there was a sigh at the genius bar that said that if ANY modifications were made to Iphone, the warranty was void. The touchscreen becoming unresponsive is a common bug, and basically renders the iphone useless. I couldn't answer a call.....

Archived