Snorkeling in St. Thomas/St. John

mistyq

I'm on CB next month, and have been looking at snorkeling excursions in St. Thomas. Has anyone used or heard anything about Sail Safari? They seem to be very eco-conscious and use small cats to go to some of the more out-of-the way places. We're experienced snorkelers, and really don't like the "everyone follow your guide" snorkel excursions.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

One month from today...

--Tracy

Tracy it might be a good idea to go to the Ports of Call board and scroll down to St. Thomas/St. John. You will find that forum on what I call the Table of Contents. There is alot of vaulable information there. Have a great cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Marilyn

I'm on CB next month, and have been looking at snorkeling excursions in St. Thomas. Has anyone used or heard anything about Sail Safari? They seem to be very eco-conscious and use small cats to go to some of the more out-of-the way places. We're experienced snorkelers, and really don't like the "everyone follow your guide" snorkel excursions.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

One month from today...

--Tracy

We sailed the island girl last week and had a fabulous time. There were 4 of us in our party and had the boat to ourselves. They also have the propulsion snorkel gear so you do not have to do any work. $75 and well worth it.

I was in St. Thomas/St. John last month - unfortunately that was the worst port weather-wise but I still had a great time. St. John is much less touristy and less developed than St. Thomas and I am so glad I went there. Actually I only went hiking and to the beach but Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay are supposed to be excellent for snorkeling.

John

Just grab a cab to the ferry,then once at St. John, get another cab for Trunk Bay- best snorkeling in the carribean.

There are so many fish that at times you can't see the ocean floor!

Also, it is better in the morning, before all the tours show up, with novices splashing about, doing their best to scare away the fish.

You may not have enough time, but we went with Limnos many years ago and they were great. The British Virgin Islands are fabulous for snorkeling if you have the time based on when the ship arrives/leaves. http://www.bestofusvi.com/bvi/limnos_feature.html

Otherwise, St. John's is good. It is easy to take the shuttle from Redhook. St. John is definitely less commercial than St. Thomas and worth a visit if you are not into the shopping in St. Thomas.

You may not have enough time, but we went with Limnos many years ago and they were great. The British Virgin Islands are fabulous for snorkeling if you have the time based on when the ship arrives/leaves. http://www.bestofusvi.com/bvi/limnos_feature.html

Otherwise, St. John's is good. It is easy to take the shuttle from Redhook. St. John is definitely less commercial than St. Thomas and worth a visit if you are not into the shopping in St. Thomas.

I would take a trip to St. john's, but only if I can dock at Havensight. Getting to Redhook from Crown Bay would take forever. eviltongue.gif

I would take a trip to St. john's, but only if I can dock at Havensight. Getting to Redhook from Crown Bay would take forever. eviltongue.gif

We did it last month. Well under 1 hour. Just plan to get off the ship early. There is also a ferry from town to St. John but it takes longer. Either a longer taxi ride to Red Hook and a shorter ferry or a shorter taxi ride to town and a longer ferry. Total time with either option is about the same. The ferries from Red Hook are more frequent.

Archived