Excursions for 5 and 7 year old boys?

ksc37

Hi, I'm looking for opinions/recommendations for excursions that would be good for my 5 and 7 year old sons. We'll be going to St. Maarten in early August. I've been looking at the Lord Sheffield trip, but was wondering if we should do a beach day and/or a little island sightseeing. It doesn't seem that the Lord Sheffield has a beach stop. Also, I was wondering about how easy it is for the five year old to go swimming. He's not a strong swimmer yet, so I wouldn't want him to be stuck on board for an hour. He's too active for that. Has anyone had a particularly fun time with two young boys? If so, what did you do?? Thanks! Karen

How about a visit to the St. Maarten Park (the Zoo), followed by a visit to the Butterfly Farm?

You could then spend some beach time at the family-friendly le Galion beach, quite nearby.

gary

p.s. Looks like the Zoo hasn't paid their website providers, so some links there may not function correctly.

gary

Thanks for the suggestions & links.

I showed my boys the pictures of the planes and they thought that was pretty cool. We may want to stop by, even for a short while just to witness the planes in person.

I also like the idea of a family-friendly beach like Le Galion. I'd seen a lot about Orient Beach, but am not so sure about taking the kids there. Not only for the nudity, but also if there are excessive crowds.

Is it pretty easy to rent chairs/umbrellas on most of the beaches?

I like the idea of doing some things on our own versus taking a tour. How easy is it to get cabs, water taxis, and more importantly, finding a taxi back to the ship after a day at the beach. I assume that they're plentiful when you disembark the ship.

Thanks again for the tips.

Karen

(Sorry if this ends up a double post)

Just an FYI that Le Galion is clothing-optional too (and even has a sign by the beach that confirms this). IMO, if you explain in advance that these are the beach customs of the people who live on and visit the island, then your boys are more likely to kind of take the usual kid "oh, my...ho-hum" approach to it. Just explain that pointing and laughing and other rude behavior is not appropriate, and I bet they're fine with any toplessness (or possible nudity) that they see. As all beaches on the French side allow topless sunbathing, as is the usual French custom, you may encounter it anywhere on those beaches. If you prefer to have the least chance of any toplessness/nudity, you may want to consider Little Divi on the Dutch side because that is reported to have little if any toplessness and no full nudity (at least as far as I've heard; we go to French side beaches, specifically Orient). I really don't think Orient is the least bit family unfriendly. Many, many families enjoy spending their time there. Some are used to the French customs; others are not. But it doesn't make a beach "unfriendly" to families to allow topless sunbathing (or even full nudity in some areas). That's a personal preference, not a friendly or unfriendly issue.

I don't know what times are best for watching planes at Maho. Please do be aware that it can be extremely loud if you're right under the flight path or nearby. Young ears (actually, all ears) need to be protected, so please be cautious. Also be aware that Sunset Beach Bar on Maho has (and honors) the motto that "topless women drink for free." You may or may not see any toplessness on Maho. It's likely that you won't, but you might.

The water taxi goes only from the piers to town and one other stop along the bay; it doesn't go around the island. Getting taxis is a piece of cake. They will be everywhere. There are plenty of taxis around most of the beaches, but I don't know specifically about Le Galion. Many people make arrangements with drivers to pick up at a specific time.

Enjoy your day!

beachchick

When we were at Sunset Bar during the day no topless women and it was crowded. Did see a topless woman one night under their webcam.

Seeing the planes are great. I think between 12-3 are suppose to be the best times. It is cool to watch the plane come in from far out over the ocean and get closer and closer. We did not stand directly under it because we wanted to see the side of the plane not the belly. Watching planes taxi to the end of the runway at the airport right by the beach and get ready to take off is cool as well. You can watch the guys (mostly) who stand holding onto the fence and endure the jet engine blast as the plane gets ready to take off down the runway. The jets get so low they have hit the top of the fence right there as they land. There is a small 2 lane road right before the fence. It would make me nervous to be sitting there as the planes land.

Kids will love it. We were all like kids ourselves enjoying it.

Have a great time in St Martin. We loved it.

Laura

Thanks again for all the recommendations, and for sharing your own experiences. I'm still not sure exactly what we'll do, but I'm thinking many of the beaches would be good options. Our cruise is still 7 months away - I'm likely to change my mind about 10 times, but it sounds really easy to just grab a cab to any of the beaches. Much better than overpaying for the cruise line's beach excursions - and more choices! Plus, with kids, it's nice to come & go on your own schedule.

Thanks again!

Archived