Taking medicines on board

Ally's Mom

I read somewhere (although I don't remember where) that any medications you take on board must be in their original container. Does this include non-prescription (aspirin, etc.) too? Also, what about non-medicinal pills, such as vitamins and supplements?

It has nothing to do with the cruise lines and most likely, they won't check, but the law says prescription drugs must be in their original containers.

Having said that, we always put ours in the daily dose containers but take the original bottles with the extras along in case they would check. They never have. Be sure you take all meds in your carry on, never in check luggage, airline or ship.

we took a pile of stuff....for airline travel the rules are "in their original bottles", i don't know if they inforce that or not.

always, always, pack important stuff like your meds in what you are going to carry on to the ship. if you take any of your meds off the ship, like in port, make sure it's in it's original bottle, just in case the drug dogs sniff it out.:eek: some times the local authorities can get tough.

vitamins and supplements are no big deal to the cruiseline.

That is in fact the law for prescription meds. Its is not necessary for non prescription ones. The reality is except for CLASS 1 2 and 3 drugs no one cares(any narcotic or controlled substances.). Actually I think the law says you need to have a prescription for them in your name not necessarily in their original containers(which may be in someone else's name)

JFYI

If you are traveling by plane, DO NOT put your medicines or vitamins etc in the daily dose carrier in your luggage. Due to not using some meds due to a bit of alcohol consumption (oops!), I did not put the unused meds away for the trip home. The container was gone when I got home. They didn't just empty the container, they took it.

My DH takes A LOT of vitamins. He always insists that they will be ok all together in one zip lock bag. It has never been a problem on a cruise or plane for him. I just figure that if there is a problem and he gets arrested or something, I will have a good time anyway and take lots of pictures for him to look at when he gets out! :D

I read somewhere (although I don't remember where) that any medications you take on board must be in their original container. Does this include non-prescription (aspirin' date=' etc.) too? Also, what about non-medicinal pills, such as vitamins and supplements?[/quote']

Never a problem with non-medicinal drugs or prescribed drugs when boarding the ship. We carry them on w/carry-ons.

Never a problem:)

For both airlines and cruise lines, I have always put my meds in the daily dose containers and carried them on. Never had a problem.

The airlines and cruise lines could care less. It may be the CUSTOMS PEOPLE when you return to the USA who will be suspicious of any prescription drugs not in their original containers.

They probably will not seize your drugs not in original containers -- but legally they have the right to do so!

The airlines and cruise lines could care less.

I don't know how accurate this is considering any inhaler, liquid or spray in your carry on has to be "observed". They did take my inhaler out & read the label on it checking to make sure the box it came in matched what the inhaler actually said it was.

I consider that "caring" about what's in your meds.

For both airlines and cruise lines, I have always put my meds in the daily dose containers and carried them on. Never had a problem.

I am sure this is 100% true. That does NOT mean everyone should do that as well.

If for some reason the feds decided to inspect your stuff and think it is an illegal drug, you could be delayed. We have pretty much given away our rights when it comes to inspections at the airport. Do not believe it could happen to you? Wait and see.

I am sure this is 100% true. That does NOT mean everyone should do that as well.

If for some reason the feds decided to inspect your stuff and think it is an illegal drug, you could be delayed. We have pretty much given away our rights when it comes to inspections at the airport. Do not believe it could happen to you? Wait and see.

all prescriptions drugs are illegal without a prescription. The two ways of proving that you have them legally is in the original bottles or with copies of the prescription....

At the border you have no rights at all when being subject to a customs inspection.

I emailed the access desk about the meds question, and I was told we could bring pills (prescription or not, including supplements) in a travel case, but it is best to bring along a list of any medications in case there is a medical emergency and they need to know what meds you're on. There was no mention of bringing the prescription itself, but I still think we'll bring the original bottle for my husband's prescription meds, just to be safe.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Here in Denver at DIA they checked all of my meds as I went thru security and at the cruise port in Ft Lauderdale they went thru my medicine. Making sure they were current scripts I was told by both security lines. They did not bother my ginger at all. They just layed it aside. Maybe because I had 6 bottles it looked like alot to them I do not know.

Being a diabetic I always carry my water with me and security never takes it either. I just show them my med alert bracelet and the card I carry. I just carry everything on I want.

I don't know how accurate this is considering any inhaler, liquid or spray in your carry on has to be "observed". They did take my inhaler out & read the label on it checking to make sure the box it came in matched what the inhaler actually said it was.

I consider that "caring" about what's in your meds.

i think the reason the security folks look at inhalers/liquid/spray meds so carefully is a concern that these types of containers could possibly be used to bring chemical weapons [mace, various gases,etc.] on board an aircraft or ship. liquids can be all kinds of 'evil' material. personally, i am realllly glad they check. i'd rather have 5 extra minutes in the line than be in a scary situation.

Never had a problem with meds going through airline screening. they also never bothered with my inhalers either. Any meds I have with me sans my vitamins go in my carry on.

My fast-acting inhaler is always in my purse, and if not in there, its on my person because asthma can kill you.

Last thing I need is have an uncontrollable asthma attack at 35,000 feet.

Like most folks have posted, by law you should carry them in their proper bottles. But its not the end of the world if you don't.

-Q

i think the reason the security folks look at inhalers/liquid/spray meds so carefully is a concern that these types of containers could possibly be used to bring chemical weapons [mace, various gases,etc.] on board an aircraft or ship. liquids can be all kinds of 'evil' material. personally, i am realllly glad they check. i'd rather have 5 extra minutes in the line than be in a scary situation.

I agree that the reason they looked more closely at the inhalers was b/c of the precautions they have for "liquids"... I was pointing out that not all prescriptions are exempt from being looked at. I have always carried my prescriptions bottles, etc with me, so this has never been an issue.

Archived