What to wear for Mayan Tours

mantle

. . . or if you have very attractive legs, you should wear shorts; if you are worried about scrapes or tend to bump into things, dungarees. USE AN INSECT REPELLENT, preferably containing DEET--put it on before you go--not on your clothes, just a little on your skin--DON'T spray toward your face or eyes, use your hands to wipe some on your face--and do take water with you, as although water will be available, lines can be long when several ships are in port. We usually cruised with HAL, which supplied us with bottles of water as we left the ship, but it has been a couple of years now and I don't know what any of the cruiselines are doing--or charging for--now. A sun hat is also almost universally recommended, and a good sun screen or block if you HAVE elected to expose any of your surfaces.

There are consistent complaints about mosquitoes, and in Belize the mosquitoes most active in the daytime are also the most dangerous to cruiseship passengers, as some of them can provide you with dengue, or "break-bone fever." Which you probably would be wise to avoid unless you have a really good sense of humor. The malaria mosquitoes do not represent much of a threat as they are waiting for evening to attack. :eek::rolleyes:

i did lamanai just over 2 weeks ago. didn't have any problems in 'skitters, have on shorts, short sleeve shirt/tops, good walking shoes. we did have bug spray with us, but never needed it.

lamanai is in shade, surrounded by tall trees (and howler monkeys). we didn't have the problem with direct sun.

now in quiriqua (Guatemala), we were being eaten alive, thank goodness i had enough bug spray to share. thse came up from the grass.

. . . are waiting until mantle and I arrive in January--sort of a New Year's Resolution, which they hope to write in blood . . . . Still, Toyz711, it was good of you to test the jungles for us! :D

If things get too good in the mosquito department we will no doubt have shiploads of naturists swarming the ruins . . . . ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

As the President might say, "Bring 'em on!" Ay, and Host Mach too! Nuts!

Archived