Best Hotel in Montreal

Which hotel in Montreal is the best? Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth or the Hotel Omni Mont Royal. We will be arriving by train from Quebec for a couple of days after a cruise Oct.1, 2008. I have read alot of negative reviews about the Fairmont. Please help. Thanks and Merry Christmas. Linda:)

Best as in the most expensive, the best location, the best service, the best rooms? Which best do you want.

Personally, I wouldn't put either of those hotels at the top of my list of best hotels in Montreal. Best big hotel in Montreal for me would be the Ritz-Carlton or the Hotel Vogue. Best small hotel in town is the Nelligan or maybe the Gault or St-Sulpice.

One of the worst locations and worst values for a hotel in Montreal would be the W in my opinion. The location is awful. The parking is worse and expensive and they loonie and twoonie you on everything. (Loonies and twoonies are dollar and two dollar coins in Canada.)

The Queen Elizabeth is certainly the most convenient hotel, especially when arriving or departing by train. It has all the elements of a fine 5-star hotel, and with one exception, everything was comfortable when I've stayed there (the exception being an exceptionally warm day in early April, when the a/c was not yet functional). While you may hear occasional mishaps at the Queen Elizabeth, such will be the case at any hotel; I have not heard or experienced anything to suggest that mishaps are the norm here. If it is within your budget, then you should not hesitate to stay there.

I travel to Montreal a lot for work and have the choice between the Fairmont and the Hilton and ALWAYS take the hilton when available. It is accross the street from the Fairmont (or you can take underground walkway). The Hilton has a nice outdour 4 season pool.

The sheraton is not too far and is ok. The Marriott also looks nice but I have never stayed there. The Delta, is right next door to the Hilton and is also a decent option.

There is a better located Delta on President Kennedy. The location of that Delta Hotel (as well as the Bonaventure Hilton) are more inconvenient for those who want to walk and enjoy downtown Montreal. The Bonaventure Hilton is two or three streets south of the main core. You actually have to walk under the Queen E (Fairmount) if you are walking to the downtown core. And that's three streets (two in some areas) from St-Catherine street.

These are all fine hotels, but the question wasn't about fine... it was about The Best. None of these would qualify as the best, IMHO.

Archived