Cabin upgrades at departure

Kezzie81

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas.

Can anyone advise me on the following? Has anyone ever received a cabin upgrade at the time of departure/boarding even if their cabin number has already been assigned?

Alturnativly is it possible to request an upgrade on boarding (assuming there are free cabins) and pay the diffrence at this time?

Thanks in advance for any advise

Same on the P/S. I would think that all free upgrades were done in advance if any were available,think about the shifting around P&O must do to fit everyone in the correct cabin and then the re-shift on the bording dayif they did:eek: .I think that free upgrades are more in P&o's interest than the passengers,If there are empty cabins on a cruise then shifting people closer together could lighten the workload of staff and also free up the cheaper cabins to be offered at rock bottom prices like to T/A's and their families who get offered almost cost price. I could be wrong though? I am only going on what my T/A told me.I am sure that if paid upgrades are available then they will sell you one but I would imagine that most cabins would be premium type like suites.

Hope I am totaly wrong and you get a fantastic free upgrade before you go.

Den

I posted something similar to this thread before we went on our cruise on 9 November on the Pacific Dawn. We had a balcony cabin and I hoped to upgrade to a mini suite.

I decided to ask everyone....... :) My idea on life is - 'if you don't ask, the answer will always be no'

So, I telephoned P&O before we left and they said there were no upgrades available.

I asked again when we checked in and were given our cruise cards and they said they had no idea. All they do is check tickets and hand out the cruise cards.

And once on board, I joined the queue at the pursers desk and asked for the third time.

They all said no. :(

At least I won't die wondering. :D :o

I posted something similar to this thread before we went on our cruise on 9 November on the Pacific Dawn. We had a balcony cabin and I hoped to upgrade to a mini suite.

I decided to ask everyone....... :) My idea on life is - 'if you don't ask, the answer will always be no'

So, I telephoned P&O before we left and they said there were no upgrades available.

I asked again when we checked in and were given our cruise cards and they said they had no idea. All they do is check tickets and hand out the cruise cards.

And once on board, I joined the queue at the pursers desk and asked for the third time.

They all said no. :(

At least I won't die wondering. :D :o

I didn't have to ask:p But now the ticket and C/P have the cabin as a mini suite instead of the balcony cabin like the one you had Jen i am getting a sneaky suspicion that my sister in law or her partner may have actually paid for the upgrades? They have never cruised before and are very excited,but when asked about their tickets,they sort of avoid talking about them? Who avoids talking about the blue folder?

I would be just as happy with the balcony. Well mabe not quite:D

Den.

we are going crusing with the inlaws, but I dont think they would pay for us to upgrade. I would just enjoy the ride and play dumb, I guess they know that if you know they paid for it you will insist on paying them back and that would make it a bit............. well I mean not as much fun as giving you a suprise and blaming PO for the upgrade. I say just enjoy and buy them a BIG gift next xmas to make up for it.

I'm yet to go on a cruise that isn't full.:rolleyes:

I was tempted to ask for an upgrade to a Mini-Suite on the Diamond,as it was only a $250 difference Full Brochure Price.:eek: But we had a 'newbie' checking us in, so thought against asking.

Like your attitude Jen. If you don't ask, you'll never find out.

We found out about free upgrade at embarkation on Sapphire Princess after cabin number had been assigned. unfortunately DH needs a wheelchair cabin (double amputee) & the outside cabin was not wheelchair accessible. We hadn't indicated we wanted an upgrade as wheelchair cabins are hard to get on Princess (apparently a lot of able bodied people like the extra room). The ship was sailing full & we had to wait 2 hours before the hotel manager got the passengers in our original cabin (who were able bodied) to agree to swap. We got our inside cabin back & were very relieved. So upgrades aren't always a bonus.

We received an upgrade back in 2004 on Sky. We were confirmed on an outside cabin on Caribe deck but when we checked in we were told we were now in an outside cabin on Aloha deck. Naturally we happily accepted the change.

One downside was our luggage was tagged for the cabin on Caribe deck so it took a couple of hours for it all to turn up.

The other downside was that when we cruised on Sun in 2006 we had to get a cabin on Empress deck because we had been spoilt being so close to the action on Sky:D

Archived