Suggestions for Cruise Line please

stevebeme

I am hoping that some experienced cruisers out there can give me some advise.

I am trying to figure out the best cruise line for us. We are first time cruisers, 57 years old. I am leaning towards a Mexican Riviera cruise in January 2009.

We, and by that I mean I, DO NOT like to dress up and really don't like to be on a regimented schedule for eating. We would like to see the ports of call and are not terribly interested in the night life but still would like to have some activities in the evenings. Would you lose out on the quality of the food if you eat in the buffet lines?

I used to be a tour bus driver and hauled passengers for Holland America. Everyone seemed to enjoy the cruise but they tended to be an older crowd. From what I hear HAL is somewhat stuffier about dressing for dinner than some other lines. I also did some work for Princess and the people seemed somewhat stuck up.

Our travel agent has recommended these two lines for us. Having worked in the travel industry I know that commissions talk and the concerns for the customer are sometimes secondary.

Anyone have any advice I sure would appreciate any suggestions.

I am trying to figure out the best cruise line for us. We are first time cruisers, 57 years old. I am leaning towards a Mexican Riviera cruise in January 2009.

We, and by that I mean I, DO NOT like to dress up and really don't like to be on a regimented schedule for eating. We would like to see the ports of call and are not terribly interested in the night life but still would like to have some activities in the evenings. Would you lose out on the quality of the food if you eat in the buffet lines?

I used to be a tour bus driver and hauled passengers for Holland America. Everyone seemed to enjoy the cruise but they tended to be an older crowd. From what I hear HAL is somewhat stuffier about dressing for dinner than some other lines. I also did some work for Princess and the people seemed somewhat stuck up.

Our travel agent has recommended these two lines for us. Having worked in the travel industry I know that commissions talk and the concerns for the customer are sometimes secondary.

Hello:) I have only been on Carnival and Costa Cruise Lines ,but have done much research on bascically every cruise line out there. Since you stated you don't really want an assigned dinning time,Princess and Norwegian cruise lines I believe are the only ones that offer anytime

dinning.However you have the choice have dinner at the buffet during any time you want and sit with whomever you wish to.It's not formal,you can wear what ever you want. The best food I beleive are in the dinning rooms but much of the food in the buffet is still pretty good.If you go with Celebrty or Holland America that tends to have older crowds and be more upscale and they dress up more.Carnival,Princess,Costa,Royal Caribbean are geared towards all ages but have assigned dinning and a lot of nightlife.In my opinion I would look into Princess and read some recent reviews here on CC about various Princess Cruise Ships and possibly consider other lines as well.Good Luck.

HAPPY CRUISING!

Lindsey

Hi. Don't have much experience. Only one cruise so far and another on the way. Both on Princess. Hubby and I like to dress up once in a while but are more casual people esp. on vacation! We enjoyed our cruise and Princess tremendously. Ate in one of the specialty rest. (loved it), one of the dining rooms (not so good) and loved the buffet. Felt very comfortable the entire time. Have fun whatever you decide.

Forgot to add that we're late 40's and early 50's.

If you don't want to dress up at all, your only real choice is NCL. While it's by far not my favorite line, after 51 total cruises on most every line out there, it's the most casual line and no assigned time for dining. The two big problems with freestyle dining is that you can experience long wait times for a table if you dine at the most popular times, and you don't get to establish any kind of rapport with one waiter. Personally, I like to know my waiter and find that once he knows my preferences, it makes the dining experience more pleasurable.

the NCL ship that does mexico is the star, i was on her for alaska last year. she's a great ship and made for freestyle, meaning she has many different restaurant options. dress code is resort casual..no suits,ties or formal dress needed (unless you want to). dining is like a local restaurant, you go up to the hostess and they seat you. i never had a wait on the 2 NCL cruises i have done (since they went to freestyle). it's easy to get tables of 2 or 4 (or more) and you don't have to seat with strangers (unless you want to)

you won't be dining in your cabin or in the buffet, if you don't want to dress up...you can dine in any of the options, just no shorts or torn jeans after 5pm.

the NCL board, on CC has more information of the NCL star.

Steve, I think your best choice is NCL. (JMHO, but I've found that some TA's discourage booking on NCL because they don't make as much commission :rolleyes: .) If you want to go "country club casual", NCL is the line for you! We've been on two NCL cruises and will be going on our third in March. We've never waited more than 5 minutes to be seated for dinner.

We also enjoy the Princess "Anytime Dining", but it's not as informal as NCL.

Let us know what you decide :) !

Hello,

Go on a NCL ship with its emphasis on casual, or stay home. An important part of a cruise, is the magic of formal nights. Since you are not interested in experiencing formal nights, then select an NCL ship. You will pay the same amount for an NCL ship as you will for Princess, Celebrity, HAL, or RCCL.

Remember, a cruise is not for everyone.

Fred

Hello,

Go on a NCL ship with its emphasis on casual, or stay home. An important part of a cruise, is the magic of formal nights. Since you are not interested in experiencing formal nights, then select an NCL ship. You will pay the same amount for an NCL ship as you will for Princess, Celebrity, HAL, or RCCL.

Remember, a cruise is not for everyone.

Fred

Sorry, Fred, but I haven't found the underlined to be true. NCL cruises are usually less expensive (not always, but nothing is "always"!). We all know that you enjoy dressing for dinner, but not everyone shares your joy :D .

NCL is a great line for those who don't want to dress up for the whole evening or even for dinner, just as another store is a great alternative for those who don't want to shop at Nordstrom's.

(BTW, I'd never suggest that people stay home rather than cruising because they don't have formal clothes. Anyone can cruise on any line without formal clothing.)

Thanks for the advise everyone. I had considered NCL but I have not heard to many good reviews in my research so far. I think I have decided on the Princess line but i am waiting to see where Fredr is going and when so I can join him. I will buy a new pair of bib overalls and a t shirt with the printed frills. Maybe him and I can be dinner mates and share a big plate of pompous wouldn't that be fun.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I had considered NCL but I have not heard to many good reviews in my research so far. I think I have decided on the Princess line but i am waiting to see where Fredr is going and when so I can join him. I will buy a new pair of bib overalls and a t shirt with the printed frills. Maybe him and I can be dinner mates and share a big plate of pompous wouldn't that be fun.

Steve,

I come from a working class family and put myself through school. I was a member of the Teamsters union when I lived in Detroit (Detroit Produce Terminal on Fort Street), and I have had several other jobs including gas station attendant, furniture mover, and warehousman. Further, I went to college at night (8 years or so) to obtain my three college degrees. If someone shows up at my table in a bib overall, he or she will have a great time with me because we will talk about all kinds of things and I never, ever judge anyone by their clothes.

My point...you asked for advice about cruises and I wrote that you should particpate in formal nights because a formal night on a cruise ship is a special night. If you do not want to particpate , your money's is as good as mine and you won't go hungry, but you will be wasting a nice opportunity to experience one of the joys of a cruise.

MY DW and I will be on two Princess cruises...in January to Mexico and in April on a transatlantic. I'll be the guy in a high hat, looking like Gatewood the Banker in " Stage Coach", or the Mayor of River City in "The Music Man".

Happy New Year,

Fred

I just wanted to point out that while Princess and HAL have anytime dining or a derivitive thereof, they still expect formal attire on formal nights. I have not sailed HAL, but have on Princess. They do have a buffet in the evening (Celebrity does not) and the formal dress code does not apply, most on the ship will be in the evenings dress. NCL is the most casual of the mass marketed lines. Then there are upscale luxury lines like Oceania, Regent, etc. Most of them have a country club casual dress code with superb service and food, but their cost is many times what the mass marketed lines run.

Out of curiosity, did you use Cruise Critic's Find a Cruise program to select a line? If so, what were the results?

We really don't know enough about you, & your priorities, yet, to select a perfect match.

For instance, which is most important, Price or the Demographics of the aprox. 1,600 stangers who will be sharing public areas of the ship with you & your bride?

We know that the Mexican Riviera is your desired destination, but we don't know if you have your hearts set on a visit to Acapulco, where only certain lines offer.

Also, briefly, which major CA port is closest to you? Or do mind flying, driving or taking the train?

Don't worry about the dress codes, we can get around that.

The Buffet food is good on ships but service is lacking, your best bet is a dining room. But there is a time & advantage to both venues.

We know the month and year, but we don't know how many days.

Have fun planning!

Thanks for the reply Cloud9. Well my biggest concern was having to dress in a tuxedo or something like that for dining. That is not my style.

We have never been to Mexico before so any of the Ports of call would be new and exciting to me. I'm not really interested in sitting on the beach kind of thing but seeing how the locals live.

What we are planning on doing is to fly to San Fran stay and explore there for a couple of days then renting a car and driving the coast to what ever port the ship sails from.

Price not a big issue most of what I make goes for retirement funds or the little extras like this trip. But I am considering an inside cabin. Not because I'm cheap, and that's the story I'm sticking to, but because I'm a little concerned about the ship motion.

The scholarship at sea program that Princess offers has me interested something constructive to do on board.

All in all what I am interested in doing is having a relaxing time, eating some good food and maybe meeting some nice people, and seeing some places I have never seen before. But most of all going someplace warm for a couple of weeks and not having to truck heavy frieght over snow filled mountain passes.

Thanks for your interest in my needs.

Go with RCCL. They have assigned seating, but ONLY in the main dining room. You can alway eat in the other restaurants whenever you want, and sit by yourself or with others....it's your choice everywhere on the ship, except the main dining room. They may have 1 or more formal nights depending on the length, but again, only in the main dining room. If you don't feel like dressing up, just eat in one of the other restaurants.

On many of the RCCL cruises, they have flexible eating time, even in the main dining rooms. Just be sure to sign up as soon as you board. Then you can eat, even in the main dining room, anytime you want.

HAL is the line for old people. My MOm always cruises that line and she is 82. My fiancee and I prefer RCCL and Carnival. Lots of people our age on these cruises.I am 53 and he is 48. Formal night for him is a jacket with dockers. I wear dress pants and a blouse.Not many people dress up beyond that.I have never seen a tux on these lines. I cannot believe your travel agent recommended those lines? Has he been on those ships or what? We are more jeans and t shirt people. If you like Motorcycle riders check out RCCL biker cruises. Dress up night is leather attire or nice jeans! I love it check it out at www.hogsonthehighseas.com

Have fun what ever you choose :D

Well my biggest concern was having to dress in a tuxedo or something like that for dining. That is not my style.

Steve, clothes don't make the man, and the cruise lines realize that.

It is more about your character, and the smile on your faces. :) :)

Formal wear is described as a jacket and tie. However, a nice, crisp, dress shirt and slacks along with that big smile of yours will do just fine in the main dining room.

There will be a couple of restaurants like Sabatini's, or the elegant Crown Grill designated as strictly formal, in honor of those ladies and gents who enjoy dressing 'up' and being in the company of others who share their joy!

We have never been to Mexico before so any of the Ports of call would be new and exciting to me. I'm not really interested in sitting on the beach kind of thing but seeing how the locals live.

Okay, good to know. IMHO, I will now eliminate the Contemporary Lnes, Carnival & Norwegian, the only two lines to stop in Acapulco, (eliminating also because they are not five star ships and the service rating is far below your Premium choice line and 5 Star Ship the Sapphire Priness.

(Royal Carribban does not sail Mexican Riviera, 7 day, in Jan. 2009.)

Regarding the beach, Princess arrives a little early (7am) at Mexican Ports. So you may just enjoy a couple hours of relaxing and listening to the sounds of the surf, while flexing your toes in the sand at the beach, a sound and experience you will not hear or feel on the ship.

Ask your TA for the names of 5 star hotels which allow beach access

without a charge, in every port you visit.

Learn some basic Spanish and always bargain when you shop. Have fun!

Then, when the town wakes up, take a taxi tour or organized excursion.

Just be sure to set your watches to the Ships time, don't drink the tap water, have quarters and TP for toiletes, mind your head, and watch for uneven pavement, & most of all, respect the Tequilia.

What we are planning on doing is to fly to San Fran stay and explore there for a couple of days then renting a car and driving the coast to what ever port the ship sails from.

San Francisco sounds great Steve. Take a Greyline Tour for an overall view of the city. Then go back to spend some time at your favoites.

Will you be booking an open jaw airline ticket (arrive one city then depart from another) or will you need to return to SFO? I suggest that you consider Amtrak one way or round trip Salinas- Los Angeles.

Ask your TA for a brochure and timetable, you will really be impressed.

So you will be driving down Hwy 1. San Fran to Santa Cruz, Carmel & Monterey, but then I would put you on the Amtrak-Coast Starlight to/from Monterey/Salinas to LA because the drive is monotinous and blanketed in thick fog, very dangerous.

Instead of driving, with your yes glued to the road, you & honey can hold hands, eat drink & be merry. Besides you drive enough and this way you can be free from the yellow & white lines & able to walk around and chat with new folks, some who will also be on your ship, watch a movie, enjoy a cocktail in the lounge car, good food in the diner, and comfortable accomodations with excellent service. (can you tell that I love Amtrak)

Price not a big issue most of what I make goes for retirement funds or the little extras like this trip. But I am considering an inside cabin. Not because I'm cheap, and that's the story I'm sticking to, but because I'm a little concerned about the ship motion.

Now here I have to ask more questions. Do you or your wife smoke? If so, I suggest a Balcony Stateroom Mid Ship for your comfort & pleasure.

Do you need handicaped/disabled facilities? Are you claustrafobic (sp?)?

Do you experience any respitory problems? Any equalibrium/ balance problems? Any problems or fright with pitch black dark? If you answered NO to all questions then I would say just OK for an Inside Cabin. But normally I don't recomend an Inside for a very first cruise. It presents an entirely different cruise experience from an ocean view.

At any rate, do not agree to a category guarantee. You reguire a cabin asignment to keep you close to the water, & mid ship.

The scholarship at sea program that Princess offers has me interested something constructive to do on board.

Princess sounds like the perfect fit! Catgory K, Plaza 316, 319, 320, 323,

324, 327, 328 or 331 would be best Inside for stability.

With your savings ask your TA about the Romance Package & Princess Care. Both are afordable and well worth it. Princess Care even gives cosideration to your pets!

All in all what I am interested in doing is having a relaxing time, eating some good food and maybe meeting some nice people, and seeing some places I have never seen before. But most of all going someplace warm for a couple of weeks and not having to truck heavy frieght over snow filled mountain passes.

Thanks for driving safely and keeping our economy going Steve.

You are very welcome, it has been my pleasure.

Cloud 9

Thanks for the reply Cloud9. Well my biggest concern was having to dress in a tuxedo or something like that for dining. That is not my style.

stevebeme - Hubby and I have sailed on Princess. I agree with Cloud9's response that the cloths do not make the man. A pair of dockers or such type pants and a button down shirt are fine for "formal" nites. Hubby wears this, a jacket, and tie on the formal nights as a concession to me who likes to dress. The other nights hubby wears the slacks and a polo shirt to the dining room. You might try anytime dining (dining room open %:30 - 10 and you walk up like you would to a local restaurant. There may be a wait at peak times.) so that you can go to dinner when you like and not at a scheduled time each day.

During the day you will see many cruisers running about in shorts and a t-shirt.

We haven't been to Mexico so can't comemnt.

Like cloud9 mentioned I would make sure your travel agent marks your reservation do not upgrade. This is because location, location, location will make more of difference to you as a first time cruiser and not knowing how you will react to the ship motion. I urge you to go mid-ship location both in front to back (aft) and up and down.

Hubby and I tried an inside once. The cabin size is the same as an outside but we found it very dark. Difficult to tell night from day and we almost slept though one. If you or dear wife smoke and it is within the budget try a balcony cabin so that you have access to the outside directly from your room.

Also, make sure to take bonine or it's generic equivalent. Take it at night before you go to sleep and start a couple of days before you go on your cruise to allow time for the medication to enter your system. Serveral other posters have also mentioned a "bracelet" that you place on your pulse point or ginger as effective solutions.

Have never participated so can't comment. It was fun to watch hubby learning how to juggle though.

As with anywhere else you'll meet people from all over. Go with an open mind and enjoy your hard earned vacation. I warn you cruising can become addicting. Safe driving and smooth sailing. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived