Hotel for cruise out of Port Everglades

cotondog

Hello All,

I need some help please as to what would be the most ideal location for a precruise hotel stay, just one evening in Fort Laudedale? Checked Priceline, specifically looking at airport locations and beach locations. Not having much luck though getting a bid accepted. We are leaving mid week before Spring Break and the rates are obvioiusly high. Any opionions on specific hotels to book direct with or areas where we can take advantage of shuttles to the cruise terminal? Thanks for everyones help in advance!

DH

The Renaissance Hotel is only about 1/2 mile from the port and is on the 17th Street Causeway across the street from a Walgreens and convenient to walk to restaurants, liquor/wine store and grocery store. I assume that you are trying for some date in March which is a bit too early to be making a successful bid. You never know though, you might get a hit. Try 4 star in Downtown Fort Lauderdale as Renaissance is the only hotel in that area and I can vouch for the hotel as we had two stays there last year. You have a few free rebids and you can start trying now and have a couple of months before you should give up. You could always reserve at another hotel and when and if you get a Priceline hit, give up your reservation. Good luck with your hotel shopping!

I highly recommend the Sleep Inn in Dania, clean, attractive facility with good breakfast included. Free transportation from the airport and to Port Everglades. It is adjacent to a Walgreen's Drug Store and a Publix Supermarket for any last minute needs. There a several restaurants in the Publix shopping center.

We are staying here on 2/2/08 for a cruise departing on 2/4. They offer complimentary pick-up at the airport and transfer to the pier:

Best Western Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port 1221 W State Road 84

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

33315-2349, United States Phone: 9544627005

Fax: 9544625949

Toll Free Reservations:

888-744-7005

The above choices are great but what you need to do is go back to what I call the Table of Contents and scroll down to North Amereica Homeports forum, than hit East Coast Departures, then Florida Departures. You will find all sorts of info there.

Marilyn

We stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites on Sterling Rd. It is close to the airport, provides a free shuttle from the airport and a free shuttle service to the ship. Less than $150 for a suite, with a nice breakfast.

I do not recommend the red eye approach. Fly in the day before and avoid the chance of an airport hang up. We fly to Florida every year and have had plane issues half of those times.

Have a great cruise.

We stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites on Sterling Rd. It is close to the airport, provides a free shuttle from the airport and a free shuttle service to the ship. Less than $150 for a suite, with a nice breakfast.

I do not recommend the red eye approach. Fly in the day before and avoid the chance of an airport hang up. We fly to Florida every year and have had plane issues half of those times.

Have a great cruise.

We will be staying at the Fort Lauderdale Grande in February prior to our cruise--it was formerly the Marina Marriott--and we have always been happy to be there pre-cruise. They have a bus that takes you right over to the port. Also, there is a water taxi stop right there so you can get everywhere of interest very easily and very cheaply. As we are coming from Canada in the winter, we actually come three days early to be sure our luggage makes it--one year it took two days for our luggage to arrive--it would have spoiled the cruse if it hadn't.

We have also stayed at the Renaissance post-cruise, and it wasn't as much fun as we couldn't sit out on the deck overlooking the inland waterway and watch the boats go by. Also, at that time, it was more expensive than the above mentioned hotel!

We like the Embassy Suites and they have just renovated, so it should be even better than when we were there last February. They are not on the beach, but will provide transport there. As a business hotel, I doubt they attract much spring break action. Rooms are suites, breakfast is complimentary, and they run a van to Port Everglades. The pool area is very nice. We also received a welcome basket in our room. (I am not sure if that was just because we are Hilton Honors members or returning guests or what.) I was really impressed with the fact that they chauffeured our entire party of 12 to dinner at a restaurant in the Riverwalk area for free. They also drove my Dad to Walgreen's when he realized he had forgotten his medication. The hotel is close to a supermarket, liquor store, pharmacy, and a couple of restaurants including a Mexican restaurant and an Outback. You can see the ships in port from the Embassy's windows. Only one of our party was dissatisfied with the Embassy---her room was more in the thick of last year's renovation---and they took $200 off her bill. If you are looking for a deal, check and see if you can use a AAA discount or see if your cruise line will book you there. Our price was somewhat reduced because we booked through Princess. At any rate, have a wonderful trip!

We will be staying at the Fort Lauderdale Grande in February prior to our cruise--it was formerly the Marina Marriott--and we have always been happy to be there pre-cruise. They have a bus that takes you right over to the port. Also, there is a water taxi stop right there so you can get everywhere of interest very easily and very cheaply. As we are coming from Canada in the winter, we actually come three days early to be sure our luggage makes it--one year it took two days for our luggage to arrive--it would have spoiled the cruse if it hadn't.

We have also stayed at the Renaissance post-cruise, and it wasn't as much fun as we couldn't sit out on the deck overlooking the inland waterway and watch the boats go by. Also, at that time, it was more expensive than the above mentioned hotel!

I already have reservations at the Sheraton Airport but nothing is around it and the reviews are not that exceptional. My hubby has points for a free night at a Holiday Inn and there is a Holiday Inn Express also on17 / causeway near the port with free transportation from airport and to the port. I have been googling (google earth) different ones so now I am looking for feedback. Do you have to ask for a room to view the marina or is it like some places who only have waterway views? Also, water taxi sounds nice. Do they have a pool? We are going in the day before and should be there by noon so will have some time to pass on 2/29/08/

Holiday Inn Express also on 17 / causeway, do you have to ask for a room to view the marina ? Also, water taxi sounds nice. Do they have a pool?

There are no water views from the Holiday Inn Express on SE 17th Street. No pool.

Hello All,

I need some help please as to what would be the most ideal location for a precruise hotel stay, just one evening in Fort Laudedale? Checked Priceline, specifically looking at airport locations and beach locations. Not having much luck though getting a bid accepted. We are leaving mid week before Spring Break and the rates are obvioiusly high. Any opionions on specific hotels to book direct with or areas where we can take advantage of shuttles to the cruise terminal? Thanks for everyones help in advance!

DH

We stayed at the Ramada Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port hotel. 2275 SR 84, Marina Mile Rd. phone: 954-584-4000.

We could not have been happier with our choice.

I booked this room based simply on price and their free transportation from the airport and to the port. I did not have particularly high expectations since our room was only $85 (November '07). It was afterall, only for one night ... all we needed was a comfortable bed and a clean room.

We were very impressed! We had a nice size, very pleasant room. The staff was exceptional. They picked us up promptly from the airport and the next day we were bussed to the cruise port. We had a nice dinner at the hotel. The complimentary hot breakfast buffet the next morning was efficient and good. Had the weather been a bit warmer we would have enjoyed sitting out by the pool as well.

We spoke with many fellow cruise passengers and most had paid much more than we did, with much less service. Most did not have a hot breakfast included and some even had to pay extra for the airport & cruise port shuttles.

We will definitely be staying here again!

Try Doubletree..Gallery One ( Sunrise and A1A ) and Riverside Hotel ( Las Olas Blvd.)....both of these offer the Water Bus service( $11 per day)...but there are things you can walk to that are most enjoyable.

It's hard in "prime-time"....just put yourself somewhere you can get to malls ( Doubletree) ...or pleasant surroundings ( like Las Olas )

Good luck..

Sharon

We used this hotel for a precruise stay 3 years ago. Even though some negative reviews had been posted, there were many positive. It is just across the causeway from Port Everglades. Our room, located in the main hotel (not the round tower), was absolutely wonderful. Everything was new with ceramic floor, mahogany furniture and a shower that could hold 10 people! The large meandering pool with waterfall is lovely. This balcony room was not what I had booked, but lady luck upgraded me upon arrival. The concierge told me that the room was the best the hotel had! I was truly delighted. We enjoyed walking the docks, took the water taxi to one of the great seafood restaurants and especially enjoyed walking up to the top of the bridge to see the cruiseships. Our friends, who arrived later that day, were in a standard room in one of the separate buildings overlooking the pool. They said the decor was quite dated. Maybe they have upgraded that section by now. Taxi's to the ship the next morning were abundant. The port was only a convenient 5 minute ride!:)

Check biddingfortravel dot com to see which hotel is winning bids in that area. Of course there are no guarantees of which hotel, but by doing some research beforehand, you can almost be guaranteed your hotel choice. Many times, I have found comparable rates by contacting the hotel directly.

The Spring Break hotel rates are much highter typical for FLL. We're taking a red eye to avoid having to pay for a hotel - we'll arrive early in the morning, grab a bite and head for the ship.

We were trying to do the same, But Delta canceled our red eye into FLL. We are now arriving a day early and scrambling to find a room for 2/23. 8 ships in the port on 2/24 and rooms are scarce and expensive.

Dennis

It's owned by the same group that owns the Ft Lauderdale Grande and the Hyatt Pier 66. The hotel is dated but it's slated for a multi million dollar renovation in 2008. If your plan on staying next year be prepared for construction issues. It would be fine for a night.

• 4 weeks later...
We stayed at the Ramada Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port hotel. 2275 SR 84, Marina Mile Rd. phone: 954-584-4000.

We could not have been happier with our choice.

I booked this room based simply on price and their free transportation from the airport and to the port. I did not have particularly high expectations since our room was only $85 (November '07). It was afterall, only for one night ... all we needed was a comfortable bed and a clean room.

We were very impressed! We had a nice size, very pleasant room. The staff was exceptional. They picked us up promptly from the airport and the next day we were bussed to the cruise port. We had a nice dinner at the hotel. The complimentary hot breakfast buffet the next morning was efficient and good. Had the weather been a bit warmer we would have enjoyed sitting out by the pool as well.

We spoke with many fellow cruise passengers and most had paid much more than we did, with much less service. Most did not have a hot breakfast included and some even had to pay extra for the airport & cruise port shuttles.

We will definitely be staying here again!

We are booked there in two weeks. Is it near anything?? or by itself?

Thanks

Ramada Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port hotel. 2275 SR 84, Marina Mile Rd. phone: 954-584-4000.

Be careful, do not walk off the property after dark, ask for a room near the office.

We stayed here 1 night precruise on January 16, 2008. This totally renovated hotel had just reopened 7 nights prior. We were extremely pleased. Our Concierge, Mark, was wonderful. He attended to our every request and more. In fact, the entire staff was very cordial and let us know they were ready and willing to serve as needed.We asked for a high room facing the cruiseships and wow.....did we have a view! :D We had a tenth floor corner suite w/floor to ceiling glass and wraparound balcony. We loved the pod-type coffee machine in the room (tea and coffee). Luxury linens and bath products. There is also a great breakfast buffet for $15.00 pp. This hotel is located directly across the waterway from the Hyatt Pier 66. It was nice to sit on the balcony and watch our ship come in. It was a 5 minute taxi ride to our ship (less than 2 miles total).:)

Archived