FT.Lauderdale hotels

robbie2201

Does anyone have an opion on the Lago Mar, we are book there for 3 nights post cruise(Emerald Princess 3/25/08)...... if not does anyone have anyrecommendations.....we use to stay @ the Marriott Marina Bay, but they are now called the Ft Lauderdale Grand.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.....

Thanks

Rob & Dave

Last January I stayed there for several nights. The room was lovely, and along with the grounds immaculately kept. It's also very convienient for watching ships come and go into Port Everglades. The beach and swimming pools were quite nice too.The major down side though was the inatentive dining room service and the lackluster fare. It was quite a let down after dining in the Princess Grill on the QUEEN MARY 2 and then having such poor food and service at the hotel.

When I was back in Ft. Lauderdale later in the year, I did not stay in the Lago Mar for the above reasons. Would I go back again? The answer is maybe. As the property is in a quiet residential neighborhood the nearest restaurant is over at the Hyatt Pier 66 which is about a mile walk. If I had a car and could drive to other restaurants and activities, then I'd think about staying there again.

I am leaning towards changing to another hotel...any sugestions... ? Gay vs str8, Other than the Grande resort, what else might be a good place to stay either all gay or gay friendly. The Grande resort you have to book 4 nights and we are only going to in town for 3days after the cruise.

Again any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Happy New Year.

Rob & Dave.

I would recommend New Zealand House.

I must admit I haven't been there yet but I was very impressed with how they handled my reservation for February. The website looks nice and it gets raving reviews on tripadvisor compared to the other gay guesthouses.

Will give a full report in March :)

Reint

I would recommend New Zealand House.

I must admit I haven't been there yet but I was very impressed with how they handled my reservation for February. The website looks nice and it gets raving reviews on tripadvisor compared to the other gay guesthouses.

Will give a full report in March :)

Reint

I am hoping to find something soon, as I think we would prefer a gay resort vs the Lago Mar...Thanks for the recommendation.....

Please keep them coming as I need to have something in place soon.

Rob & Dave.

My partner and I are staying at the Alcazar Resort in late February before the Atlantis Caribbean cruise. It is a gay hotel conntected to its sister hotel, the Worthington, so you have complete access to both "resorts". The Alcazar (www.alcazarresort.com) does allow 3 day bookings, whereas the Worthington does not.

We stayed at the Worthington a few years ago and enjoyed it, so hopefully this property will be similar. The reviews on TripAdvisor are not bad, so we will see.... can give a full report in March.

You might also look into the Cabanas Guest House, www.thecabanasguesthouse.com I have a reserevation there for post cruise.

I stayed at the Cabanas in 2004. The facilities were quite nice, and kayaking in the canals was a treat, but people should keep in mind it's located in the neighboring town of Wilton Manors. Wilton Manors has its own gay community and bars in a strip mall in the middle of the town, but you'll want a rental car to get to the Ft. Lauderdale beaches or Las Olas.

Actually, the Grand Resort and Alcazar/Worthington, are right next door to each other. All are located within 1-1.5 blocks from the beach, and very close to the gay beach. The biggest down-side (to me) is that there are not any gay bars/restaurants that I know of near these hotels. You definitely need a car (or cab) to get to the Wilton Manors area.

I stayed at the Cabanas in January 1 night post cruise..strangely it was the cheapest option gay or not. I'm a budget traveler..I'm still trying to find all that disposable income :)

It was because the Superbowl was that night...guess all those macho men in town weren't secure enough to go for it LOL

It was nice place..well kept and with character (give me that any day over a 5 star resort), but it was rainy..so I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I could have.

Actually, the Grand Resort and Alcazar/Worthington, are right next door to each other. All are located within 1-1.5 blocks from the beach, and very close to the gay beach. The biggest down-side (to me) is that there are not any gay bars/restaurants that I know of near these hotels. You definitely need a car (or cab) to get to the Wilton Manors area.

You know, I can't think of any situation in Fort Lauderdale where I wouldn't want a rental car or rely heavily on cabs. The beach isn't near the shopping, the hotels aren't near the restaurants, bars are in every corner of Creation and of course nothing is walkable to the ship OR the airplane.

When I stayed there overnight before the cruise, it wasn't a big deal to cab it to our hotel at the beach, walk to Las Olas and back, and then cab it to the port. It was a bit of hiking, though, and the same sights would have gotten old.

We have stayed at The Grand several times and have always had enjoyable stays. I would recommend it.

As for The Windamar, it's lower priced, and more active. They also have a video room, if you're interested in that kind of action.

We have stayed at The Grand several times and have always had enjoyable stays. I would recommend it.

As for The Windamar, it's lower priced, and more active. They also have a video room, if you're interested in that kind of action.

We are looking for something that is priced right and close to other activities. The Grand sounded great but they do not take 3night bookings, I would book for four nights but I cannot change the airfare without taking a hit.

So the Windamar is more trashy then ?, if so then we will stay away.

I lucked out, just got off the phone with the Grand and they will allow for the 3 night booking......................

Thanks everyone for all you wonderful help.

Happy New Year.

Glad to hear it, you will enjoy it. If you phone them they will usuallly take a 3 night reservation. The online system only accepts 4 nights.

I have booked a 4 night stay prior to the Atlantis Millenium cruise....my first time at this property. I normally book at Pineapple Point prior to RSVP cruises......but this time thought I would choose something close to the beach.

I do not expect the same as Pinapple Point...where I feel very spoiled. But will it be a loud over the top environment? Years ago when I was, lets say more festive I would drive from my duty station in Georgia all the way to Orlando to stay at a place called the Parliment house. Lets say it was a busy place especially at night.......

I am hoping the Grand is not the same....no, I am not a prude...but lets say a little older..but have no idea whether this property is seedy, neat and clean, class act or basically a gay owned and run Hoilday Inn. Any feedback? would be appreciated.

Hey Typhoonwill......happy Holidays kiddo!

For those that live in the area...what is the closest gym to the Grand? So far I have found a World gym about 2,5 miles away...which is walking distance with no problem.

happy Holidays to all.....about nine weeks to go before another cruise...yippy.

Tom aka bertha

I have booked a 4 night stay prior to the Atlantis Millenium cruise....my first time at this property. I normally book at Pineapple Point prior to RSVP cruises......but this time thought I would choose something close to the beach.

I do not expect the same as Pineapple Point...where I feel very spoiled. But will it be a loud over the top environment? Years ago when I was, lets say more festive I would drive from my duty station in Georgia all the way to Orlando to stay at a place called the Parliment house. Lets say it was a busy place especially at night.......

I am hoping the Grand is not the same....no, I am not a prude...but lets say a little older..but have no idea whether this property is seedy, neat and clean, class act or basically a gay owned and run Hoilday Inn. Any feedback? would be appreciated.

Hey Typhoonwill......happy Holidays kiddo!

For those that live in the area...what is the closest gym to the Grand? So far I have found a World gym about 2,5 miles away...which is walking distance with no problem.

happy Holidays to all.....about nine weeks to go before another cruise...yippy.

Tom aka bertha

Thanks Tom, and the same to you. Looking forward to seeing you back in the RSVP fold in 2009.

As for The Grand, I am glad you're not expecting the same environment as Pineapple Point. They Will be full, and gay operated Holiday Inn is not a bad comparison. Just a tad classier. It's not loud or over the top. If you like clothing optional, the rear fountain courtyard is the clothing optional area. As with any gay resort, the hot tub can get frisky after dark. The front courtyard is where're the large pool is and clothing is not optional there. You'll find a mix of young and old, couples and singles. Trip Advisor.com has some other reviews of The Grand.

There is a small gym on the property, and don't forget about Casablanca Café for lunch or dinner. Get an outside table and watch the boys stroll along the beach. Enjoy the Millennium cruise after you defrost at The Grand.

Just reading the information on hotels in Ft. Lauderdale.:confused:

Will need a post cruise hotel for December 2008. Last time in FLL stayed at Pineapple Point. It was very nice but thought I'd like to try something else. I read that Royal Palm was a nice place. Has anyone stayed there?

Looking for a small boutique style hotel, gay owned, 4-5 star near the beach. Clothing optional is not important to me. Any other recommendations?

Hope to hear back from you guys soon,

Scott

May 2008-Silver Wind, Lisbon to London Bridge

December 2008-Silver Shadow, Barbados to Ft. Lauderdale

phpouzgrvPM.jpg.8bc1c2ec92e1369c94cdb78fd3bda4cc.jpg

Just reading the information on hotels in Ft. Lauderdale.:confused:

Will need a post cruise hotel for December 2008. Last time in FLL stayed at Pineapple Point. It was very nice but thought I'd like to try something else. I read that Royal Palm was a nice place. Has anyone stayed there?

Looking for a small boutique style hotel, gay owned, 4-5 star near the beach. Clothing optional is not important to me. Any other recommendations?

Hope to hear back from you guys soon,

Scott

May 2008-Silver Wind, Lisbon to London Bridge

December 2008-Silver Shadow, Barbados to Ft. Lauderdale

If it's five star luxury you want, The Flamingo Inn amongst the Flowers is located right down the street from Royal Palms. IMO, the Royal Palms takes a back seat to The Flamingo,

I found the RP stark, bland and overpriced. If you liked Pineapple Point, you'll love The Flamingo.

Archived