John and Diane's Amazing Round the World Aventure

Johnny B

Peggy Sue - in answer to your question, the room never seemed too small for me. And you're right - the ship did seem like home. I was afraid that we might feel claustrophobic after a while, but it didn't happen. We did learn that we can live in a whole lot less space than we have in our California home.

Jeff - I've never known anyone whose email screen name fit so well. How's the tan going? I've begun reading your blog, and the photos are phenomenal. We'll look forward to seeing you on the aft deck again sometime.

Well done and congratulations to John and Diane on the excellence of this amazing thread. I said to Shannon Nelson (CSI) who also looked after us on the 2007 GWV that I thought her firm had planted you on the Amsterdam because of all the wonderful accolades you (rightfully) paid them. Lovely to see so many of the 2007 crowd appearing in your blog and on your thread. A big hello to them all. Just hope I get the opportunity of reading a travelogue from you two some time in the future. Best wishes.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear Cruise Critic Friends,

John and I are so glad that everyone seemed to enjoy reading our cruise ramblings, but in the middle of the cruise, in Cambodia, we wrote about having an opportunity to do something really good for people who have very little. Our Cambodia tour bus, with 16 people, had a truly wonderful guide named Sam who, in his spare time (apart from a 6-day a week job, being a husband and father and finishing a 4-year college degree in 5 years while working full time) raises money to put deep water wells in remote rural villages. These wells make the difference between shallow wells that bring up bacteria-laden water which makes babies sicken and die - and fresh, clean water that helps everyone in the village.

If you want to do something which seems small but makes a HUGE difference to these people, please contact Sam at: sambrothers@online.com.kh and ask how you can help. The name of his endeavor is in memory of two of his brothers who died under the Khmer Rouge, one from starvation and one from a land mine.

We're all in this together; let's try to help one another.

I didn't mention that the reason I posted this today is that this morning we received an email from Sam with a photo of the well for which our Bus #1 raised money. Although I couldn't get the photo to print, here's his email:

Dear All friends,

You all had visited Angkor in March this year and you all have chipped in to buy a well for local community, the well is done now.

Please acknowledgement by returning email.

All my best to all of you, Sam ( A&K / Cambodia )

Beneficiary family: Mr. Saut Seuy

Khna village, Khna Sandai commune, Banteay Srei district, 16 north-east of Siem Reap city.

2 families sharing well with amount of 8 people.

• 2 months later...

John and Diane,

Add me to the list of grateful folks who have enjoyed viacariously traveling the world with you, via your wonderful postings.

I pushed myself to write "extensive" travel notes during my 15 day trip to Egypt, (a mere drop in the bucket compared to your trip!) and some days it wasn't easy. So I appreciate the self discipline you exercised.

Looking back on it all now, those travel notes were one of the smartest things I could have done. This way I can relive the trip over and over again, as well as sharing it with others.

Thank you again for letting us share your trip! :D

Archived