Car seat laws

oldhamlass

We cruise on Jan 12th but travel (from England) on the 5th and spend a week in florida before. We have hired and car and I'm unsure of US laws regarding child restraints in cars. We have booked a hire car to pick up from Orlando airport but are unsure whether to bring her seat. She is 3. Is a booster OK in the us? She is still in the younger carseat here and is a little light for her age. We drop the hire car off before the cruise so if we hire a seat what about getting to the port? Also what about our stops..St Thomas i particular? Any help is very welcome. Thankyou!

Sarah

Since you'll have some time here, I'd go to Target or Walmart and pick up an inexpensive 5 point harness car seat. Something like the Cosco high back boosters that have a harness. You should be able to get one for around $40 US. Then you can take it along with you to the ports etc and if you decide to leave it here and not take it home, you won't be out tons of money. You could also try the Eddie Bauer portable car seat (on amazon and other places) but I haven't felt comfortable with the design to buy one.

Just a word of caution- we have traveled several times where the car company or rental agency said they had car seats that we reserved. On arrival, no seat was available. Please call to confirm that they will have a seat for you in the hired car.

Archived