WiFi question - NCL Gem

New York Yankee

I was on the Pearl earlier this moth and I brought my laptop on. The charge for the air time. one of the packages is 100 min for $55.00. They had specials thru-out the cruise. I did not use there air time, while I was in one of the ports I went to a Internet café and paid 30 min for $5. I just used my laptop to download my pictures from my camera.

Doug

Bad first > The satellite internet connection is slow, about what you'd expect with a 56k modem.

Good last > The satellite connection is mostly up, as long as the Captain doesn't change the ship's heading too fast and the dish tracking can keep up.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask; why don't ya'll just stay home and save your money... cause you can't really relax if you're on this thing, and paying money for it besides!:rolleyes:

I've seen dumb questions before.....

This isn't asked of me, but I'm going to reply.

I just came back from a month-long cruise to Asia, and felt I still needed a "getaway". Since work continues to pile up, I'm compelled to enjoy a mix of work & play during my cruise which starts tomorrow.

As such I'll be bringing TWO computers.... 1 for work, and one for my continuing education coursework (university courses) which I do through Distance Ed.

This also lets me pay bills online, and keep in touch with family (which I consider to be quite relaxing...not being stressed about what may/may not be going on with parents & grandparents).

I guess the bigger question is: Who are you, to deem that everyone should vacation the way you do? My "vacations" typically consist of visiting somewhere interesting or unusual (see my Russia, Turkey, China, Japan, korea pics)...to learn something, or as warmer, sunnier climes within which to work.

For that, I'm also grateful that there's an internet connection.

Besides...money isn't really that big a concern.

And let me just add one more thing to SJBDTZ's eloquent response...

I have a portable Sirius satellite radio called the Stilletto. When I am outdoors, it draws its signal from sat-e-llites (that's man-made UFOs flyin' up in that blue sky, y'all)...

But when indoors, it can receive its signal from WiFi connections (that's the indoor mystery no-wire signal that gives them metal computer thangs a signal, sugar)...

Shucks, I do so wish it was all Britney all the time, but what's a feller to do? Just have to make do with the other 150 stations of non-stop tunes, in any category I care for...

See you on the floating tin can SJB...

Have we ever received a good answer to the original post yet? I'd like to bring my laptop too, Gem 1/5....Can i hook it up in the cabin, do i need to bring a cable....how does this all work?

The Gem is wired for WiFi -- repeaters throughout the corridors -- so no need to bring a cable.

See you on the 5th!!! ;)

If one brings their own laptop or other device that can utilize Wifi internet access in public areas and staterooms of the ships (as NCL Gem states it provides), is there a charge/password to use it, or is the network unlocked and free for those of us with our own equipment?

We were on the Gem out of Barcelona in November for 12 days.

1) There is WiFi available throughout the ship, even in your cabin. Curiously, I also saw an Ethernet cable jack connection in our inside cabin (near the TV). Dunno if it worked or not...

2) We didn't bring a laptop but can certainly understand some folk's need to bring one (despite the snide comments from other posters...:eek: ) You have to login each time you access the Internet; they will assign you a username & initial password when you first connect. That's also where you sign up for your usage plan. The 100 minute for $55 is what we used & it was enough. There are other plans available for a lower per-minute charge. You are charged per minute, btw. That's why you have to login each time you access the internet; as soon as you login, the clock starts ticking! There's no unlimited plan option available.

3) Speed; think 56k dial up, as a previous poster stated. It can be PAINFULLY slow. Also they will offer "Happy Hours" where you get double minutes (usually 4 - 6PM daily). The problem here is that EVERYBODY will try to connect during this not-so-Happy Hour making the speed even SLOWER. For example, what would normally take you 10 minutes to accomplish at, say, 9AM will now take you 20 minutes at 4:30.

I'd strongly suggest you visit the Internet Cafe in the Crystal Atrium on Deck 7 & get the particulars from the guy on duty prior to connecting. He may have some suggestions.

You didn't state in your OP but what are you going to be using the laptop for? Pictures? E-mail? Personal? Business? I may have some add'l suggestions based on what your intended use is.

Tom

Thanks Tom.....No work for me ....I will be using my laptop to keep in contact with my family... son is in Iraq (that should say it all).....Will i still be able to log on to my aol account?? I am not too good with the puter..can i access the internet from the cabin, or do i have to bring it to the internet cafe....i do have wireless installed in this thing....

Will i still be able to log on to my aol account?? I am not too good with the puter..can i access the internet from the cabin, or do i have to bring it to the internet cafe....i do have wireless installed in this thing....

You'll still be able to log on to your AOL account using their web mail. See me onboard. ;) And, you'll be able to access the internet from your cabin since you have a wireless card.

I have a portable Sirius satellite radio called the Stilletto. When I am outdoors, it draws its signal from sat-e-llites (that's man-made UFOs flyin' up in that blue sky, y'all)...

But when indoors, it can receive its signal from WiFi connections (that's the indoor mystery no-wire signal that gives them metal computer thangs a signal, sugar)...

i was considering the stiletto. i love my sirius radio in the car. i did not know the stiletto could receive feeds from wifi. i was concerned that the only time i would be able to use it would be outdoors. how do you like it? i am a big baseball (tigers) fan, and it bothers me that mlb games are not on sirius. i am booked on the gem the first week of april, and it will kill me to not be able to listen to the first games of the season.

For those that want to pass judgement about people using their computer on the ship, or making calls, don't.

As to how it works, pretty simple. Turn on computer and find channel, login using room information and select first or second mortgage option (LOL). You do NOT need any help from the internet room guy. Wireless may work, but make sure you have a GOOD connection. Take a cable, they weigh less than 3 ounces.

Using web based email like AOL, Yahoo, etc is very, very painful. Be warned.

And, NOTHING is free.

DH got me a stilletto for Christmas; had to return it. It would not let me upload my own music, which it is supposed to do; and wouldn't work in the house. We do have Wifi through out the house, so I guess it should have picked up the signal? But it didn't. HAd to put it out in the car to download music to listen to later, then it lost signal REPEATEDLY during the recorded. Serius is TERRIBLE to work with on returns or problems; DH spent over an hour on the phone with them trying to return the thing and get the service turned off. Must have had to repeat name, address, phone number, and email 10 times during the conversation. IMHO, the system isn't worth the trouble.

Archived