HANDICAPPED ACCESS IN CHICHEN ITZA - New to Forum

wsantelope

Hi all....

I'm new to the forum though I've cruised several times.

We are hitting Progresso in February and mom REALLY wants to see Chichen Itza.

She needs a double knee replacement and gets around V-E-R-Y slowly.

I'd like to make this happen for her if there is ANY way.

She will have a moterized chair on the ship and we could bring along a folding wheelchair if needed - I worry about someone steeling her power chair!

She can walk short distances-very short distances - but tires easily.

Maybe a private tour?

Maybe renting a car....

Even if we did those things could she get around while there either on her chair or pushed in a wheelchair?

If not does anyone have reccomendations for a decent Mayan ruin area that would be accessible and pleasant for her?

Last time I went on a tour that mentioned Mayan ruins they were replicas on a horseback trip on Cozumel.

I'm not even getting off the ship there! Enough Already! :(

Thanks all!

Hi and welcome! Answers to questions on this board come very slowly, but eventually, you will probably learn what you need. I can't help you with the handicapped access problem, but I can direct you to other threads on the board that describe the 3 ruins that you can go to from Progreso. I will be going to Progreso for my first time in Feb., and I would love to go to Chichen Itza. However, after reading what people have to say about it here, I think I will go to Uxmal instead. There is also a smaller ruin that is much closer to Progreso, that you might consider. Check out the other threads, including the one I made asking for advice on the best ruins from Progreso. I hope you'll find the answers to your questions there.

Here is a site that has many photos of Uxmal: http://mayaruins.com/uxmal/uxsite.html Click on each green arrow for photos, and don't forget to look for the "next" link at the top of each photo page that takes you to additional photos.

Also, please don't give up on Cozumel! It's a great place, and we have had some wonderful times there on our 3 different visits! Why don't you check out this park: http://www.discovermexico.org/ It isn't "real" Mayan ruins, but they have replicas and an educational tour that tells you all about the Mayan culture. I would love to go there! I bet it's a lot more likely to be wheelchair friendly, too. Wherever you choose to go, I hope you and your mom have a great time! :)

Edited to add another link to Mayan sites that you might find interesting: http://www.locogringo.com/research/ruins.html

Archived