Best shopping in Nassau

loppster

We will be in Nassau in June with a our teen daughters and they are going to want to do some shopping. I've heard about the straw market, but I was wondering is there anywhere else close by that we could shop or if anything worth a taxi ride to go shopping?

Also, is there a certain time that the shops close? We don't arrive until 1pm.

Thanks!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;6;12;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Until 6/04 Jubilee Cruise

I just came back from Nassau. Found shopping to be very expensive compared to the Caribbean. The straw market is your best bet because you get them to come down on their prices. Just start to walk away and they will lower the price, or offer them less money. More than likely they will let you have it. Your only other option is Bay street shops, however, you will pay what they want. Hope this helps.

I too found the bay st shopping to be a wee bit expensive. For the same price I could purchase certain things here (NY) and at least have some recourse if somthing were to happen to them.
Overall, I was not to impressed by the shopping there
The straw market is quite an experience...and your girls will probably love it
You can walk from the pier

debbie

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;9;26;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't been yet, but I plan to check out the Rum Cake Factory. It's behind East Bay Street near Deveaux St. I hear the cakes are excellent. They also have canned jellies and candy. I'm not sure about the candy, but the jellies and cakes make excellent gifts. The cakes are vacuumed sealed and keep for 12 months (I believe), so they can be taken back home with you. For anyone interested, check out [url="http://www.bahamasrumcakefactory.com"]www.bahamasrumcakefactory.com[/url]

First cruise in about a week...Can't Wait!!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Man I can't agree with the naysayers on this!

There are several top stores worth checking out for certain items ... the "usual" jewellery, cosmetics, perfume, etc. Remember there's no sales tax here. I've seen alot of folks not take that into account when calculating relative prices. Admittedly some stores are more reputable than others, but you can't go wrong with John Bull, Diamonds International, Colombian Emeralds, Solomon's Mines, etc. Trust the big names. IMHO Coin of the Realm on Charlotte St. is one of the best jewellery stores anywhere.

As far as having "no recourse" goes ... it's the same as Stateside (where we've lived and where we travel at least four times a year). The reputable stores will back you up. And reputable brands are backed up by the company. Buy a Rolex and have problems, contact Rolex Stateside, for example.

BTW if you go to the Rum Cake Factory (it's not huge) tell George "Hi" from the folks at Caffè Caribe.

Colyn R., Nassau Native

• 3 years later...
The large John Bull store on Bay Street carries some brands of perfume and lots of cosmetics. And although I can't recall the name, there is at least one perfume only store along Bay Street (closer to the straw market than John Bull).

Know your U.S. prices to compare. And don't forget there is no sales tax.

BobK/Orlando

Thank you! I am looking for Tommy Bahama Set Sail (great name, huh?) for women. It is $52.50 here plus tax. I just wasn't sure if Bahama prices were any lower than US. I know the caribbean is supposed to be really great price wise.

I appreciate your response!

Lisa

Archived