Recommendations for stargazing on Kaua'i?

AZGrandma

My DH and I will be on the POA in January, and thus will have an overnight in Kaua'i. We would very much like to leave the ship and all 'city lights' behind and star gaze . . . any recommendations? I searched the board for stargazing but only got posts for Maui and the Big Island. I wondered if there was a good beach or park where we could spread a blanket and admire the stars, AND, be SAFE. Not all places are safe at night so I want to mention that, too. My DH is an amateur astronomer so we would really enjoy seeing what we can usually only see when we camp at Texas state parks. So fun to see the otherwise invisible Milky Way, etc.

Any ideas?

Leslie

Although I cannot give you any advice where there is safe stargazing, we had the most magnificent star gazing off our balcony.

Of course no telescope to zoom in, but really enjoyed seeing so many stars it looked like glitter across the darkness.

Oh! This is so encouraging!

I had assumed we couldn't get a good view of the night sky, based upon our experience on our only other cruise. We were on a Carnival ship, and that baby was lit up like a Christmas tree! Every night! We had no balcony, so we tried to sit on deck to night view . . . forget it!

So, I just need to get someone in my group to invite me on their cabin balcony, huh? We have two aft cabins with balconies, so I think I'll give that a try.

Thanks!

Leslie

I'm an amateur astronomer for a long time, and we were in Kauai during Halley's Comet's return in 1986 so spent a LOT of time looking for clear skies (and once on the big island saw it in one direction and Pu'u o'o in full fountaining eruption in the other... wow...)

You'll want to stay on the south side of Kauai for two main reasons. First - fewer clouds. Second - you'll have a more unobstructed view of the southern sky, which is what really sets Hawaii apart from the mainland. You can see Crux (the southern cross) Centauri, and the beautiful star fields of the southern milky way from Hawaii - given that they're "up," of course.

Some of the places you might think are logical, like the popular southern beaches (Poipu, etc.) are lousy because of the lights from the nearby hotels and condos. Forget them.

We found that the Old Russian Fort far out past Waimea had an astonishingly dark sky, and a couple of turnouts up the Canyon road - from 3-6 miles up - were remarkable also. One thing I've noticed is that the stargazing at or near beaches in Hawaii isn't all that ideal, despite the remarkably dark skies that some of these places enjoy. (this is addressed to your amateur astronomer husband). There is a haze to the sky, probably from sea spray, that probably extinguishes a couple of magnitudes of dim stars. I've found that even a little altitude gets you above it, and the clarity of the skies from slightly higher elevations is remarkable.

Are these places safe? I suppose - I've never been worried at any stargazing place in the state, but maybe that's just me. What's probably more worrisome to people is driving up the Waimea Canyon road at night. No street lights on the road - it's basically a twisty mountain two-lane road. Having enjoyed/endured such driving in CA, CO, and WY in search of dark skies it's no big deal to me, but to some the thought of driving way out to western Kauai in the ultra-dark might be a little unnerving. Your results may vary, but most amateur astronomers I know are delightfully single-minded in their search for good seeing.

I think it was the southern Milky I was looking at. I had woken early the first morning. Our cabin was starboard side coming into the big island.

Although most of the trip was pretty cloudy at night, that night was clear, and just for me!! Lol.;)

We are enthusiastic stargazers as well...and might try to get out a little on Maui or Kauai if the weather is clear I am bringing along binoculars and a small telescope for bird/whale watching and have found these to be OK for astronomy as well. If you REALLY want to see an amazing sight you have to come to rural northern MN in th winter...the only light we have to interfere with stargazing comes from the aurora borealis!

Sceptic is right. The best bet would be the southern beaches. However, Kauai is the wettest of all the Hawaiian chains(there's a reason for all the lush green), and the sky tends to be misty at night, especially in winter. Kona is the driest. The south point would be good, though hard to drive through the sugarcanes at night I imagine.

We found that the Old Russian Fort far out past Waimea had an astonishingly dark sky, and a couple of turnouts up the Canyon road - from 3-6 miles up - were remarkable also. One thing I've noticed is that the stargazing at or near beaches in Hawaii isn't all that ideal, despite the remarkably dark skies that some of these places enjoy. (this is addressed to your amateur astronomer husband). There is a haze to the sky, probably from sea spray, that probably extinguishes a couple of magnitudes of dim stars. I've found that even a little altitude gets you above it, and the clarity of the skies from slightly higher elevations is remarkable

Thank you for the suggestions! I have a questions about the fort - my Frommer's guidebook map shows the state park to be EAST of Waimea. It appears one would NOT need to drive up into the Canyon, and that it is on the same side of the canyon/river as the port at Nawiliwili. That doesn't sound like a location that is 'far out past Waimea' unless one is coming from the west . . . am I looking at the right place on the map? Is the fort in a separate location from the state park?

Leslie

Thank you for the suggestions! I have a questions about the fort - my Frommer's guidebook map shows the state park to be EAST of Waimea. It appears one would NOT need to drive up into the Canyon, and that it is on the same side of the canyon/river as the port at Nawiliwili. That doesn't sound like a location that is 'far out past Waimea' unless one is coming from the west . . . am I looking at the right place on the map? Is the fort in a separate location from the state park?

Leslie

I think he's talking about Polihale State Park also known as Barking Sands. It's the begining of the Na pali Coast. You continue past Waimea till the end. And you are right. You do not turn into the Waimea Canyon. The highway turns to a well-maintained dirt road at the park entrance. It's quite ways from Waimea, but an easy and straight drive. I've never been there at night so I don't know if you can enter the park at night or if you even want to. The Barking Sands is quite awe inspiring during the day, but under no circumstances, do not get too close to water. Ocean there is very dangerous any time of the year.

Anywhere around the end of the highway would be a great spot for star gazing, if you don't want to venture into the park, because it's the driest part of the island. Around there is flat, so you should have no obstraction. I think it's the best bet for you.

Archived