What's going on in Galveston?

knomad

Please excuse my ignorance, but my husband and I have not cruised in two years. Our last cruise was in January 2006 on Splendour of the Seas out of Galveston (because we couldn't get a cabin on our favorite, Rhapsody). I came home in an episode of congestive heart failure and had to have emergency surgery to replace a defective heart valve. Complications followed (my kidneys and liver shut down) and I was in the hospital for 6 weeks.

It has been a long recovery, but, by the grace of God, I am doing well.

I say that to say that I haven't been keeping up with cruise things. I've been a little nervous about setting out on a cruise.

Now we have booked a cruise with our family on Voyager in February. We have a nurse, former paramedic, and a Care Flite nurse going with us, so I am feeling very confident about this cruise!

I've started reading the boards recently, and I am confused.

I thought Rhapsody was staying in Galveston through October/November of 2007 and was being replaced by Voyager. Now I am reading that Voyager is only in Galveston through April. Will there be no Royal Carribbean ships sailing out of Galveston after April? Wow, I find that hard to believe. Rhapsody always seem to sail full.

What's going on with Royal Caribbean in Galveston?

Please excuse my ignorance, but my husband and I have not cruised in two years. Our last cruise was in January 2006 on Splendour of the Seas out of Galveston (because we couldn't get a cabin on our favorite, Rhapsody). I came home in an episode of congestive heart failure and had to have emergency surgery to replace a defective heart valve. Complications followed (my kidneys and liver shut down) and I was in the hospital for 6 weeks.

I say that to say that I haven't been keeping up with cruise things. I've been a little nervous about setting out on a cruise.

Now we have booked a cruise with our family on Voyager in February. We have a nurse, former paramedic, and a Care Flite nurse going with us, so I am feeling very confident about this cruise!

I thought Rhapsody was staying in Galveston through October/November of 2007 and was being replaced by Voyager. Now I am reading that Voyager is only in Galveston through April. Will there be no Royal Carribbean ships sailing out of Galveston after April? Wow, I find that hard to believe. Rhapsody always seem to sail full.

You have some of it right,,,The Rhapsody left in Sept,(i think,maybe a tad earlier) which was always the plan.Voyager as of now,is set to sail from Dec 23rd 07- I believe mid april.When it leaves (as of now) it will not be back until the same time (Dec) for the same route.

There will be no other RCI ship at this time...There is another thread you may want to read,and I will link it...hoping that the announcement that is going to be made Jan 13th in a Galveston Media event is that we may be getting more aritillary :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=680330

Looks like that no RCI ship will be sailing from May 2008 to December 2008 out of Galveston.

I hardly doubt that an expected announcement will change that. The Voyager is selling cruises out of Barcelona for May through Nove 2008.

The only thing I can imagine is that the Voyager will be placed in Galveston year-round for the first time in 2009 since no schedule for after April 2009 has been released.

So from April 2008 through December 2008 you definitly will be out of luck.

You have some of it right,,,The Rhapsody left in Sept,(i think,maybe a tad earlier) which was always the plan.Voyager as of now,is set to sail from Dec 23rd 07- I believe mid april.When it leaves (as of now) it will not be back until the same time (Dec) for the same route.

There will be no other RCI ship at this time...There is another thread you may want to read,and I will link it...hoping that the announcement that is going to be made Jan 13th in a Galveston Media event is that we may be getting more aritillary :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=680330

Actually the original plan was that the Rhapsody would be in NOLA when the Voyager was in Galveston, then return home to Galveston when Voyager was in Europe. That was the plan when the Voyager was first announced and Galveston would be covered year round. The Rhapsody to Asia plan came (as a surprise) several months later. You just forgot, I believe that was still the schedule when you booked the group. It was when I booked.

Hopefully they will announce something more favorable to Galveston in two weeks. Hope so.

Actually the original plan was that the Rhapsody would be in NOLA when the Voyager was in Galveston, then return home to Galveston when Voyager was in Europe. That was the plan when the Voyager was first announced and Galveston would be covered year round. The Rhapsody to Asia plan came (as a surprise) several months later. You just forgot, I believe that was still the schedule when you booked the group. It was when I booked. ..

Hopefully they will announce something more favorable to Galveston in two weeks. Hope so.

No,I know there were many changes to Rhapsody's itin..Too many to list.

But I do think that she was always scheduled to leave Galveston (regardless of where she went) in Sept.

Archived