Passport Requirements for kids

sdmike

Oh...and I guess because of the new year there's a rush on passports. All the post offices I called within reasonable driving distance either are booked up with reservations or have been experiencing long wait times. Maybe lots of new years resolutions to get their passports? :eek:

There are alot of dependencies as well -- if you are sailing from and back to US ports and staying strictly in North America -- you will not need the passport until the rules are allowed to go into effect. If you are traveling from a non-US port you will need them. If you are traveling by air from the US to a non-US destination or flying on a commercial flight from a non-US desination to another non-US desitnation, you will likely need a passport.

There is considerable debate as to when the rules requiring passports will go into effect. Right now the resort owners and cruise lines as such that will be impacted by the requirement -- have been lobbying hard. That coupled with the fact that the new law did not have funding to support it (hence the delays in passport processing) has allowed the enforcement of the law to be pushed back.

I've had a passport since I was in college in the 80's. DH has had his longer. DD is on her second passport - having gotten her first at just a few month old. It is a terrific document -- it allows us to pick up and go whenever we want to (our Med cruise in November was not planned until late August -- and for us that's a "long time"!); it has gotten me through lines at the Canadian and Mexican borders much more quickly than my traveling companions without passports; we've used our DD's as proof of age for various activities; etc.

I don't understand the infant passport. I got one for my 6 month old. But there is no way he is going to look like he does now 4 years from now. That requirement seems a little to strict.
Believe me my son's picture was taken last May or June and he didn't look like that in Dec, but they didn't give me a hard time. With the little ones they sort of expect it although I've heard stories where people have had a hard time.

There are alot of dependencies as well -- if you are sailing from and back to US ports and staying strictly in North America -- you will not need the passport until the rules are allowed to go into effect. If you are traveling from a non-US port you will need them. If you are traveling by air from the US to a non-US destination or flying on a commercial flight from a non-US desination to another non-US desitnation, you will likely need a passport.

There is considerable debate as to when the rules requiring passports will go into effect. Right now the resort owners and cruise lines as such that will be impacted by the requirement -- have been lobbying hard. That coupled with the fact that the new law did not have funding to support it (hence the delays in passport processing) has allowed the enforcement of the law to be pushed back.

I've had a passport since I was in college in the 80's. DH has had his longer. DD is on her second passport - having gotten her first at just a few month old. It is a terrific document -- it allows us to pick up and go whenever we want to (our Med cruise in November was not planned until late August -- and for us that's a "long time"!); it has gotten me through lines at the Canadian and Mexican borders much more quickly than my traveling companions without passports; we've used our DD's as proof of age for various activities; etc.

I too have had a passport forever, for me since high school. My DH is on his first passport, he didn't do much in the way of traveling until he met me. Still need to get him to cross an ocean on a plane but I think I'll have to wait for the economy to get better for that. He won't give me an argument as long as a trip to London is included in the plans. Since I want to see family in Paris I think I can manage both. :p

Anyway the problem is that even if they keep putting it off every time there is a deadline approaching the lines form and the wait gets long. It gets pushed back and everyone doesn't worry about it and then a deadline approaches again. If indeed the deadline gets pushed back then go ahead and get the passports while there is no line.

In the one Post Office that I went to that has a separate section for the passport (the more recent on I went to is the same line for stamps and packages can you imagine what that line might look like when everyone is trying to get passports:eek:) I believe I went a little before they opened after lunch and was the second person in line. Probably easier to do since it was just me and not me trying to get it with a spouse and the kids.

Most cruises do not call on solely US ports and most will go to an international destination. You are also forgetting that the accepting country determines the need for a Passport and not the US. Barbados REQUIRES a passport and does not accept the old Driver's Licence and Birth Certificate. The cruise lines and airlines will ticket to the most strinngent requirement.

Additionally, if something goes wrong and you miss the cruise, get sick and need to leave early, without a Passport, you are subject to a LOT of hassle since you are now an air traveler. Most carriers will not transport people without proper paperwork because they are fined and the passenger is typically required to be returned to the point of origin at the airline's expense.

BEst advice is to get the darned poassport!

Well, since our July sailing is "summer of 2008", it'll be kind of a crap shoot on whether or not passports will be required for us. It looks like the safe bet is to go get them. The only reason I'm wondering is that these are NOT cheap. There are 5 of us, and I'd rather spend the $400ish on other things. Better safe than sorry though.

Thanks everyone. I learned some good stuff in these posts...like both of us have to be there for the kids passports. :eek:

There are 9 of us. Since we aren't sailing 'til December. All need passports or renewals, except for me. We decided to start the process now with the pictures and everything. We will probably order the passports in groups to spread out the cost.

We are cruising in April, and even though I know we are not "required" to have our daughter (3.5) have a passport, we go her one. We figure 1.) if we missed the boat for some reason or had an emergency and had to fly out of one of the countries it would make it a LOT easier. 2.) It is much easier to tote around a passport than her birth certificate 3.) won't the baby/kid passport look so darn cute in their baby book???? :)

Most cruises do not call on solely US ports and most will go to an international destination. You are also forgetting that the accepting country determines the need for a Passport and not the US. Barbados REQUIRES a passport and does not accept the old Driver's Licence and Birth Certificate. The cruise lines and airlines will ticket to the most strinngent requirement.

Additionally, if something goes wrong and you miss the cruise, get sick and need to leave early, without a Passport, you are subject to a LOT of hassle since you are now an air traveler. Most carriers will not transport people without proper paperwork because they are fined and the passenger is typically required to be returned to the point of origin at the airline's expense.

BEst advice is to get the darned poassport!

This is what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. We're in the Caribbean in Feb., booked it in Nov. applied for Passports immediately after we booked. Got them in early Dec. It cost us, but will be more than worth the price if things don't go exactly right.

Anyone else have problems re boarding the ship from a port when you didn't bring your child's passport or other photo id?

Happened to us just this past week getting back on from Puerto Vallarta. We had a few minutes of panic as we were scrutinized and questioned why we didn't have photo id for the kids. They did finally let us all through, but it was a little scary.

Every port after that we took the kids' passports, but never were asked again.

We finally decided, "Better safe than sorry!" Now we have them.

Both parents must appear with the child. We all went on December 31. I had pre-filled out all the paperwork, brought our birth certificates (all of us) photo ID for myself and DH, our marriage certificate... well, our US Passports arrived today.

I must admit I feel a great sense of relief - it's DONE, now we can travel without any issues and I have the best form of ID out there... LOL.

Honestly, I never had a passport until I got married as my parents weren't big travelers, so there was never a need for one. However, my 2 DS (ages 9 and 8) do have them, as well as myself. My MIL told me before I got married that it is the best form of ID you can have. She also told me that at one point when my DH and BIL were young, they had the opportunity to go to Europe last minute and that they were pretty much able to do it because they all had passports. It would have been a shame to miss the trip! Who knows what will happen in the future, what last minute opportunities can come up that a passport will be required. What I'm trying to say is that you never know when you might need it, so it's better safe than sorry.

Anyone else have problems re boarding the ship from a port when you didn't bring your child's passport or other photo id?

Happened to us just this past week getting back on from Puerto Vallarta. We had a few minutes of panic as we were scrutinized and questioned why we didn't have photo id for the kids. They did finally let us all through, but it was a little scary.

Every port after that we took the kids' passports, but never were asked again.

We never bring our passports off the boat with us. What if you lose them? :eek: We have photocopies on one sheet of paper and thats it. The chances of you missing your boat is a lot less then you losing your passport on the island. As far as being questioned, I am sure they do sometimes but on RCCL we just had our passes and that is all we needed. If they needed reassurance, I would just have one person go up to you room and get your info but I would NEVER take my sole form of documentation off the boat with me - it stays safe in the safe!

Archived