restaurants in Venice near St Marks

Across the Accademia Bridge from St. Mark's and on a canal in the Dorsoduro section of Venice where the gondeliers builders build the gondalas is a wonderful restaurant favored by locals and visitors alike - Taverna San Trovaso. We were staying at a bed and breakfast right by it and I had read about this restaurant and how good it was on Tripadvisor.com. We had a wonderful meal. I had my first peach bellini (for only 3 Euros) at the restaurany and then DH and I both decided to order ala carte items as we were not hungry enough for all the courses on the Tourist menu selctions. I had the specialty of the house pizza and it was more food then I could possibly eat! Lots of fresh veggies and meats on it. DH had their special pasta (which was a green pesto sauce with spagetti or perhaps linguini) and again there was no way he could eat it all! We had a wonderful dinner for a very reasonable price. They only serve dinner and do not open until 7 pm. Reservations are strongly recommended as it fills up quickly.

We've eaten at San Travaso also and second the recommendation. Our bill came to 56 E for 2 dinners, both veal dishes and grilled scallops appetizer along with the house wine which was cheap at 4 E. The entrance is on the corner of the building not fronting the canal. We had a bit of trouble finding it. Then we took an evening walk along the Guidecca Canal where there were several more interesting restaurants.

We also ate outdoors at Restaurante Stefano in Campo de San Stefano on the way to the Accad. bridge. Very good but don't remember the total bill. We always ordered the house wine with our meals which was very good and reasonably priced.

Although we stayed near San Marco, we never ate in any of the restaurants near there, preferring to get away from the tourist areas.

IMHO half the fun of St. Mark's is walking around and seeing the amazing options you have for food and drink!

We wound up at a fun little pizza place just off the square. I don't even remember it's name.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland3.html

Also, in Venice, I STRONGLY recommend Carnival- the show! You will find a pic and a link on that site also.

Have a GREAT cruise!

IMHO half the fun of St. Mark's is walking around and seeing the amazing options you have for food and drink!

Agreed. Whatever you do, try to avoid the places with "Menu Turistico" in the window; some of the best places are on the little side streets where the Venetians eat, and where the menu is only in Italian.

Archived