Suggestions on dinner reservations on Mariner

loulani

Booked a cruise to Alaska next year on Mariner. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which night would be the best to make dinner reservations at Signitures or Latutides.

Also, is there a "Captain's" cocktail party and what night would this be?

I have learned sooooo much from the wonderful "experts" on this board.

Linda

Book Signatures as early as possible, for the first available date - then, if you're lucky, you can eat there a second time - space permitting. We did. Latitudes is a tasting menu, so a second visit would be almost exactly like the first, and there is a great variety at the Compass Rose, so we preferred that.

The Captain's cocktail party was the second night - the day at sea.

Enjoy.

David

Thank's David. I will do as you suggested and book Signatures as soon as possible. We do not have a suite with butler service. After reading this board for quite some time now, I was wondering, if we order room service will the room steward still "set the table" or do only rooms with a butler do this?

Linda

Hi Linda,

We took the Mariner to Alaska this past June. It was fantastic. Alaska is gorgeous and the Mariner is great. We just loved the cruise and the ship. The service was very good to excellent.

The day of boarding, they start taking reservations for Latitudes and Signatures at 2:30 in front of the Compass Rose restaurant. So go the Mariner lounge as soon as you can and wait there for 2:30. The Mariner lounge is just outside of the Compass Rose.

Signatures is excellent! We went there for my birthday night and my lamb dinner was wonderful. We loved it there. We also went to Latitude's one night. I didn't like it too much. Not a very pretty room and rushed service. The food was okay. Not as good as the Compass Rose. However, many others love it.

We ordered room service for breakfast everyday. They always set up the table with the table cloth etc. Very nice and very good!

We also liked the Verandah restaurant for lunch. The buffet choices are great! And the dessert choices are awesome. Especially the 2 choices of homemade ice cream with every sauce available to mankind. Take all you want. It is so much fun. Go early to get a table on the back balcony.

Hope you love your cruise. If you have any other specifics, please ask. See my review also.

Ginny

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note about the Ice Cream on the Mariner.

I always thought it was home made, but just asked on our last cruise last month, and it is actually Dreyer's brand. Very excellent and yummy!

They just did a Route 66 Big Al's Diner in Latitudes for a week and they will probably change back to their tasting menu now. Latitudes is OK for one time, but Signatures and Compass Rose are even better.

The room service waiter will set the table for breakfast and dinner. I had room service every morning, 4 Lamb chops and blueberries until they ran out of blueberries. Maybe they can't get them in Asia.

Enjoy your cruise, it's a wonderful experience and I can't wait to go again.

Happy cruising,

Joanne

Hi, Joanne and John. We are still suffering from jet lag but hopefully it will subside soon. We just wanted to tell you how much we enjoyed our time with both of you on our trip. The dinners as well as Trivia were just great. Hope to see you both on a future cruise. Marilyn and Joe

We just got home from Asia on the Mariner. You do have to make ressies for Signatures right away. Latitudes changed their menu from Asian Fusion to Big Al's Truckstop Diner for the last three nights due to client complaints about the other menu. Personally, I think the AsianFusion sample menu was wonderful and light.

I tried Big Al's once and the portions were too big. Hey, if I want ribs I'll go to The Outback Steakhouse back home.

We are going to be on a ten day cruise starting November 2nd. How exactly due they handle the reservations? I read somewhere else that they try to give everyone at least one dinner at Signatures. Will it be completely full if we do not sign up the first day. How do some people manage to sign up for more than one day?

We were on the Mariner her first season in 2001 on a 10 day itinerary. We ate at Signatures twice. The day we boarded we made reservations for 1 night. We made our reservation for the earliest time slot. When they learned that we would like to dine there again, if possible, they let us know of another night that had space. They do manage two seatings from the tables that are booked early in the evening and we choose to eat early so this may be why it was easy for us to book the second night. We also ate at Latitudes one night.

Archived