Zip Line Excursion???

b&hluv2cruise

I'm glad there is so much feedback!! So are there several zip lines or one line several times?

Does anyone know how far apart the zip lines are from the falls? Also, anyone do the Carnival Conquest-run zip line excursion?

Thanks again!

The Carnival booked zipline is the Chukka Canopy tour. There are seven different zip lines and there's a short ride in a van to get from one group of lines to the last group. The last zip line is by far the best as it is 1000 feet long and you will hit speeds at around 35 MPH.

We're doing the Chukka Canopy Tour on the RC March 2nd cruise too. We're not trying to see the Falls after, but am hoping to be able to spend a little time in Montego Bay just walking around. I'm a little nervous about it, but it sounds like a lot of fun, and a once in a lifetime experience!

My biggest question now is what to try to carry in our fanny packs. Will we need food and water with us?

Sounds like we'll see a few of you there!

-Tami and Jeff (Keller, TX)

We just took a bottle of water and we were fine. We had booked in the morning and were back to the ship in time for lunch.

For those who have done the zip line, are you able to control the speed?

They wouldn't let us touch the cable except for to pull ourselves to the landing platform if for some reason we didn't build up enough speed to make it all the way across. I had to pull myself up on two of the lines, but I only had 6 feet to go. There's always a guide at the other end to catch you and get you unhooked from the line.

How long a ride is it from MoBay?

To me, it didn't seem long at all. With boarding the bus and all, I'd say 45 minutes tops. They drive on the wrong side of the road there and the roads are narrow once you start up the hills. I was certainly glad I wasn't the one who had to do the driving.

Can you tell me how much the pictures/ cd was??

Do they only accept cash or should we pay with credit there?

The picture CD I felt was a little high. I paid $60 for 21 photos they took. However, they do have a pricing schedule for the number of photos you select. So if you don't want but a few that they took, you're right there with the tech to pick and choose which ones you want.

Can you tell me how much the pictures/ cd was??

Do they only accept cash or should we pay with credit there?

The picture CD I felt was a little high. I paid $60 for 21 photos they took. However, they do have a pricing schedule for the number of photos you select. So if you don't want but a few that they took, you're right there with the tech to pick and choose which ones you want.

We paid $25 for all 14 photos that they took and they threw the canopy video and pictures of some of the regional flowers on. I'm surprised they charged you $60 because the price list they had for our tour that day was $25 for a CD of all the pictures taken and $30 for pictures and video (which we got for free). We had cash but I'm sure they took credit there. Considering one picture on our tour in Grand Cayman cost us $20 :eek: we thought $25 for all our pics on CD was an awesome deal.

There is one section towards the end of the trail, I believe it's just before the last zipline that's an arduous climb. There are some rough steps and a rope fer hangin' on to, but if your friend gets winded really easy I'd suggest they pass on this excursion. I'd equate the level of excercise for this one section as being equivelent (roughly) to a brisk walk up a few flights of stairs. And remember, once you're on the trail there's only one way to get back to the bus and it's at the end of the last zipline.

We just got back from doing the ziplines through Carnival on the Imagination and it was the highlight of our trip. I researched the private tours and the one through Carnival and the tour through Carnival blew the others away, just by the amount of ziplines you do. Our tour had 7 ziplines with an extra little one and then a repel one. I'm not sure how far you are from the falls but I was pretty exhausted after doing the ziplines, so there was no way that we would have been able to do the falls as well.:o

Question for you I am getting ready to book this through Carnival, we will be in Ocho rios on April 2 I believe, my question is they give you 3 different time options, 9 -11 - 1 I believe, is there a benefit to one over the other? I was thinking the early one, just to get back to the ship earlier to relax.

Question for you I am getting ready to book this through Carnival, we will be in Ocho rios on April 2 I believe, my question is they give you 3 different time options, 9 -11 - 1 I believe, is there a benefit to one over the other? I was thinking the early one, just to get back to the ship earlier to relax.

We chose the early one, so that we would be done at a decent time and sitll get some shopping in before we headed back to the ship for lunch and relaxation time.

Does any one have any suggestions for companies that do this excursion besides with the ships? We will be in Ocho Rios on March 11th and wanted to maybe also do an ATV tour. There were several outside companies that did both but we didn't know if the zip lines were the same and if the ATV was worth it.

Thanks!

Does any one have any suggestions for companies that do this excursion besides with the ships? We will be in Ocho Rios on March 11th and wanted to maybe also do an ATV tour. There were several outside companies that did both but we didn't know if the zip lines were the same and if the ATV was worth it.

Thanks!

Their zip lines aren't the same. When I researched outside companies for zip lines and ATV, the other companies only had 2 zip lines that you could do several times and the ATV was only 30 minutes after driving around a hot field for practice. I chose to do the cruise tour with more zip lines and no ATV and we didn't regret it.

I'll be going to Montego Bay on March 12th with the Carnival Conquest. Carnival is only posting 5 shore excursions for Jamaica and the canapy is not one of them. They said it was a computer glich, yada yada yada, but aren't fixing it.

I really want to book that specific zip line tour - the Chukka Adventures one (I heard it's the best). I spoke with the vendor and they won't book a cruise passenger directly, I have to go through the ship.

I'm really disappointed and nervous I won't be booked for anything!

Any suggestions??? Thanks!!

You don't have to book before you get on the ship. You'll have two sea days prior to your arrival at MoBay to book the zipline. You can book it on the ship.

This is true but make sure you don't wait too long to do it because they do sell out. By the time our shore excursions talk happened there was 5 or so tours that were sold out.:eek:

Does anyone have pitures of the Carnival Canopy Tour in Ocho Rios that they could post? I assume it's a sit-down harness, kind of like Parasailing, but have never seen it, so would like to see pictures. Thanks......

Does anyone have pitures of the Carnival Canopy Tour in Ocho Rios that they could post? I assume it's a sit-down harness, kind of like Parasailing, but have never seen it, so would like to see pictures. Thanks......

I do but they are at home, so I will try and post them tonight unless someone else beats me to it. It's not a sit down harness, it's like a repelling harness.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the Chukka Canopy tour on march 2 cruise with Royal Caribbean. It was fantastic. Harness is like climbing harness. It was much less scary than I thought it would be and required no skill or coordination. Just note - at end we bought t-shirts and pictures and they couldn't take credit cards because their phone lines weren't working. So bring cash. $20 got us 6 pictures I think on a CD. You don't want to miss this excursion!

We are just off the Radiance of the Seas and booked the Chukka Canopy Tour excursion through RCCL in Montego Bay. It was great! The bus ride to get there is about 30 minutes, but quite entertaining! The guys who work at the tour are hilarious and really do their best to make it fun.

A few questions answered:

In Montego Bay there are six zip lines, the last one being the longest and by far the coolest.

If it rains, they still have the excursion - I was told you go up to 50mph when the lines are wet! (35mph if dry)

You can take pictures when you're on the zip lines, but you go so fast I'm not sure how they will turn out. The tour guides encouraged DH and I to switch off with the camera so we could take pictures of each other when we were coming in off the zip line. They also take a few pictures of you to sell at the end of the tour.

As far as controlling your speed, you can brake if you want, but it isn't recommended because you might end up having to pull yourself in if you end up short!

There was a decent hike after the first zip and a few step sets of stairs. I'm not in the greatest shape, but I made it in one piece.

On the bus ride back, the tour operator offered to take some of the passengers to the shopping area. I can't say how that went as we went back to the port before he headed off to shop.

It's a great time, truly. If you're at all interested, give it a shot!

Archived