Golf on the Mex. Riviera

hogwildcruzers

I'm not a golfer and can't offer personal recommendations for Acapulco. However, I do have the following list of golf courses in ACA - the closest and probably least expensive to play is the Club de Golf Acapulco, located about 20 minutes from the cruise ship terminal on the same highway/road: Costera Miguel Aleman:

CLUB DE GOLF ACAPULCO

Costera Miguel Alemán, Fracc. Club Deportivo

The Acapulco Golf Club has 9 holes, Pro Shop, golf classes and equipment rental. The Club House has a reception area, pool, lockers, sauna, relaxing massages, judo classes, karate and swimming.

Telephone: (744) 484-0781/82 and 484-6583

Fax: (744) 481-0461

MAYAN RESORTS GOLF ACAPULCO

Av. de las Palmas No.C1C, Fracc. Playa Diamante

Mayan Resorts Acapulco’s golf course is one of the most spectacular courses on the Mexican Pacific (according to the publicity of the resort). It's located in the exclusive Punta Diamante tourist zone, just 10 minutes from the Airport (and approx. 30-40 minutes from the cruise ship terminal). The golf course’s is surrounded by lush landscapes with exuberant palm tree and beautiful lakes. The 18-hole, par 72 course, has 6,156 yards surface covered with Bermuda type grass, featuring wonderful yet complicated greens and a great number of dunes, making it both attractive and challenging for golfers of all levels. Course Rating/Slope: Blue 69.5/123, White 68.2/118, Ladies: 70.7/121.

Telephone: (744) 469-6000 Ext. 6607/6617

Fax: (744) 466-2260

Email: golfacapulco@mayanresorts.com.mx

THE FAIRMONT ACAPULCO PRINCESS

Playa Revolcadero s/n, Fracc. Granjas del Marqués

Classified among the best 25 golf courses by Golf Digest (at one time, maybe still). With narrow areas, palm trees and water obstacles in 12 of its 18 holes. Each course has a practice area and rental equipment, available for men and women, for left-handed and right-handed players. Hole 18 is distinctive, with a dog leg par 4 surrounded by a spectacular large lake, allowing a second show that appears suspended in the sky over the pyramid structure of the hotel. The course has been established since the Pro-Am Tournaments in 8 different sections of the P.G.A. A 30-40 minute drive from the cruise ship terminal.

Telephone: (744) 469 1000

Fax: (744) 469 1015

THE FAIRMONT PIERRE MARQUES

378 Playa del Sol, Fracc. Granjas del Marqués

Originally designed by Percy Clifford and remodeled by Robert Trent Jones for the world championship in 1982. It has a design with 65 sand traps and an increase of 300 yards. During 2002, a complete and radical redesign of the course was carried out, and includes 2 holes next to the ocean and joins up to the golf course of the Hotel The Fairmont Acapulco Princess, forming the most spectacular 36-hold golf course, unique in Mexico. The distinctive hole is 17 which has only 142 yards from the championship tees, but the game is against the normal wind provoking a shot of 3 additional clubs. A 30-40 minute ride from the cruise ship terminal.

Telephone: (744) 469 1000

Fax: (744) 466 1046

TRES VIDAS COUNTRY CLUB

Barra Vieja Highway

Located on the Pacific Coast, it has 18 holes with 9 lakes and sand tramps, and you can enjoy the beautiful Club House with restaurant, bar, dressing rooms, pools and beach. I don't have more informationa bout this course, but I'm under the impression it's the best in the region. It's located about 45-minutes - the furthest - from the cruise ship terminal.

Email: tresvidasacapulco@prodigy.net.mx

I hope this helps a bit.

Gomexico..thanks so much for all the info....I have checked into each one you posted and can say they all are very nice and high priced....still have not decided to play there or just play in San Diego before the cruise....although the prices are less than ship tour prices.

Manzanillo has some beautiful golf courses but they are very pricey compared to what we pay in the US.

Your best bet is LaMatarraya, an 18 hole course which is located next to the Las Hadas Resort. If you have non-golfing people in your party, they can use the facilities at Las Hadas ($30pp at last check) while you golf. Almost all the holes have a view- very beautiful. I have not checked prices recently, perhaps you can find some on their website, but I've heard people say it is worth it for a special occassion. (like a port visit!)

Otherwise there is Club Santiago which is a nice 9 hole course, not as expensive, (I think about $40) but certainly not as glamorous. Non-golfers could have a nice day at Playa Miramar (beach) that is located in the Club Santiago gated community.

If you had lots of time and money, I would easily recommend the golf course at the Grand Bay hotel in Isla Navidad, one of the top courses in Mexico. However, the drive from the port to the course could be about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I hear rumors that it is $200 per round, but have never actually checked that myself. There is also the El Tamarindo which is located between Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo, but time constraints would also put that one out of contention.

I hope that helps! Have Fun:)

• 4 months later...

I'm thinking of going on the Mexican Riviera Cruise in Oct '08 and would like to play a round or two of golf. I may be travelling alone, so the ship organized golf would be safer; however the prices are quite inflated compared to booking from teetimesmexico or other.

My questions are, how far is the following courses from the port?, is it safe to go alone?; is transportation readily available and timewise is it doable? (don't want to miss the ship :eek: )

Acapulco: Fairmont Acapulco

Mazatlan: Estrella Del Mar

Cabo: Cabo San Lucas

P.V. : Flamingoes

I do plan on signing up with the roll call, so may be able to find somone to partner with, however any suggestions and personal experience is welcome.

Thanks.

TQ

Archived