Conquest Dec 23-30 Home again

Havinsnest

Second Day at Sea, Christmas Day, and “The Secret Door”:

followed by a visit to the ‘Secret Door That Leads to the Secret Deck”. This ended up being most hilarious because once we found the door, we snuck outside, being as quiet as possible. Well, I am not known for being quiet, and so the combination of my skirt flying up over my head, and the subsequent peals of howling laughter from myself, Jason, Annie, and Greg was enough to wake up those on the bridge and they turned the bridge lights on us. We tore out of there like our butts were on fire, laughing all the way. The Secret Door became our “Thing to Do” after an evening of karaoke and inevitably, the bridge lights would always come on.

Let's just say we don't do Sneaky well and be done with it, shall we? One of my favorite memories is the Secret Door after dark. Lots of laughter and lots of fun.

Jamaica:

We woke up to the Captain docking in Montego Bay. This was one stop that we had decided, after the Conquest excursion attack this summer, to not do anything on. Jason and I had picked up Ethan at Camp Carnival the previous evening and he was running a fever. So, with our lethargic child, we decided to at least go into the pier terminal and buy some Blue Mtn. Coffee. I was not impressed with what I saw of Jamaica. Even in the pier terminal, the people were rude and pushy. We bought a djembe drum for Ethan and some trinkets for Christmas presents and got back on the ship. Ethan had been complaining of dizziness and ear pain all morning and so I took him to the infirmary to get some swimmer’s ear meds. I spent the rest of the afternoon with Ethan, playing mini golf and napping, while Jason and Larry hung out.

Dinner was spent with Kathy and Terry as Annie, Greg, Larry, and Sue were enjoying an evening at the Point. It was this evening, that Kathy so affectionately described in her review, that Elizabeth made a little bed for Ethan in the dining room. He slept all through dinner and woke up to the congo line that was wrapped around the dining room. We missed karaoke that night and turned in early.

Grand Cayman, the Pirates who wear swim trunks, and the “Full Moon Dance Contest”:

Our excursion, the Cayman Pirate Adventure, was scheduled to leave at 8:00 am, which meant that we had to be in the Toulouse-Latrec lounge by 7 am. This made for a very early morning. Luckily, Ethan was feeling much better due to a good night’s sleep, swimmer’s ear meds, and ibuprofen. The Pirate Adventure consisted of: shooting at the Conquest and laughing at those who were on their balconies, having the kids scrub the deck with toothbrushes and rags, taking the pirates oath, and some poor guy who got doused with ice water. We stopped for a quick swim and the lead pirate Pete, proceeded to disrobe to his very trendy swim trunks. He wasn’t bad on the eyes, either, but no Johnny Depp, if you ask me! We docked back at the pier and headed for some power shopping at the many stores in Grand Cayman.

As a side note, if you like rum cakes or even rum, you must visit the Tortuga Rum Stores. Their prices are reasonable and they have samples of that fabulous rum cake! We bought several for Christmas presents and a few for ourselves.

Jason and I went to the Point that evening and it was every bit as good as everyone says. Jason got the 24 ounce Porterhouse, which was about the size of his head, and I got the 9 oz. Filet. The crab cake was wonderful, the Caesar salad was prepared tableside, and the dessert was outstanding. Jason and I both ordered the chocolate dessert and enjoyed every bite! I believe that we had to roll out of there that evening.

That evening, after dinner, karaoke, and “The Secret Door”, we went to the “So You Think You Can Dance” contest. This was a riot! The line up consisted of several mid twenties guys and girls, a guy in his 40’s, and a little man in his 70’s, which we affectionately nicknamed “Grandpa”. Grandpa had the hugest cheering section and could dance like nobody’s business! We loved this guy! On the first round, a girl with a VERY short skirt starts her routine and proceeds to flash everyone in the disco. All we saw were two tanned butt cheeks! The crowd did a collective gasp until we realized that she was wearing a thong. The guys were going wild (naturally). However, it was Grandpa who won the coveted “Ship on a Stick” for his dance moves.

Well Congrats on your anniversary. So glad you had a great time and you have such a wonderful attitude about the suitcase swim that I wish everyone had such a great attitude as you do.

I too love the Conquest and will be sailing her again in about 19 days.

Thanks for the wonderful review.

So glad your dad is recovering. I have had pneumonia twice and it is no picnic!!

I now have to take the preventative shot for it as per my dr's orders.

I would love to travel with you as you both sound so much like fun happy go lucky people.

Again Congrats on the anniversary.One place I do recomend is a trip to Alaska.

Out of my 20+ cruises I loved it the most. Even with the cooler weather.

Something to consider.

There I do recomend at least a balcony( the best $$ I spent).

Karen

Cozumel and Nachi Cocom:

We had booked our excursion online for Nachi Cocom. This little jewel was a wonderful highlight in our trip. From the pier, we caught a taxi and held on for dear life. If you have never experienced a Mexican taxi driver, well, you’re lucky. They drive like maniacs and only leave (no exaggeration) 1 and 3/4 inches between them and the car in front. Definitely an experience that I don’t want to repeat anytime soon! Nachi Cocom is located about 15 miles from the pier and I believe that we were there in 8 minutes flat. We spent the day by the beach, under our palapa (grass umbrella), sipping Pina Coladas and eating the most wonderful Mexican food! Their nachos and guacamole are outstanding! I took the most glorious nap after lunch (and a few Pina Coladas)—it was wonderful!

That night Jason and Ethan turned in early and so I went with Larry and Sue, Annie and Greg, and Kathy and Terry to Bingo and the show. The comedian was really funny and hit the nail on the head about gas. I was laughing so hard at Mark Price’s “Top 10 Stupidest Questions asked on a Cruise” that he sought me out in the audience. It was like Moses parting the Red Sea; all you could see was me, cackling so hard and my group leaning away from me.

My favorite question was from the lady who called and said “I can’t get out of my cabin! I’m locked in!”

Mark: “Calm down ma’am, what seems to be the problem?”

Lady: “I only have two doors in my cabin: one leads to the bathroom and the other has a Do Not Disturb sign on it!”

Afterwards, we all went to have burgers and fries on the Lido deck.

Last day at sea:

We met everyone for breakfast in the Monet dining room. The Eggs Benedict was really good and the Belgian waffles were suited to my taste. Afterwards, we waddled around the ship, stopping for bingo and towel animal folding. At 1:00, we met up with our CC buddies in Larry and Sue’s suite and recapped the cruise highlights. The rest of the afternoon was spent having the Chocolate Buffet (and a little fish and chips from Sur Mer) and just hanging out with our friends. That evening at dinner was bittersweet. We were sad to leave our wonderful wait staff and we knew that we would be leaving the next day. We went to bingo and the Carnival Legends show after dinner, along with another midnight trip to the Sky Grille for fries!

Debarkation morning and the “Oh, your bags are at the bottom of Galveston Harbor”:

Jason, Ethan, and I woke early to see the ship pull in and turn around. It is just as magical being on the ship and watching as it was the previous Sunday morning from Harbor House. We were sad to be leaving our friends and ALL THAT FOOD! As Jason and I were packing our last few things, we kept hearing Kathy and Terry’s names being called over the intercom. Since we were all meeting for breakfast on the Lido, we couldn’t wait to find out the scoop. We left our cabin and went upstairs to wake up Larry and Sue and find Kathy and Terry. We eventually all caught up with each other in the Cézanne restaurant and the first thing out of Kathy’s mouth is, “You might want to sit down for this” as she is laughing so hard that she is crying.

Terry: “We knew that Lisa would get a kick out of this story.”

Kathy: “Our luggage has been involved in a bit of an accident.”

Terry: “Our luggage has gone overboard and is believed to be resting at the bottom of Galveston harbor.”

Lisa: “Oh, crap! Are YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

I must hand it to Kathy and Terry because they took it all in stride, even after they found out that it was Larry and Sue’s luggage. Poor Larry and Sue—they are trying to replace everything that was lost, including Sue’s perfect purple stapler!

I went in to this trip with a wonderful attitude and high expectations. However, I must say that Carnival has exceeded my expectations in every way. The food was superb, the ship was very clean (always someone cleaning!), and the staff was very friendly and accommodating (I never met a rude staff member—always “Merry Christmas” and “Hello, How are you?”). Camp Carnival was wonderful and Ethan really enjoyed his time there. There is always something to do on the Conquest—never a shortage of activities! But I believe that our wonderful friends made the trip outstanding. We love you guys and cannot wait to cruise with you all again!

Kathy,

Check out the member reviews! We've been published!

Lisa

:)

I talked to Carnival today. New suitcase and clothing cometh as well as the 1/2 price cruise. She said we could have either our same size suite or the bigger one for 1/2 price. :)

Cozumel and Nachi Cocom:

We had booked our excursion online for Nachi Cocom. This little jewel was a wonderful highlight in our trip. From the pier, we caught a taxi and held on for dear life. If you have never experienced a Mexican taxi driver, well, you’re lucky. They drive like maniacs and only leave (no exaggeration) 1 and 3/4 inches between them and the car in front. Definitely an experience that I don’t want to repeat anytime soon! Nachi Cocom is located about 15 miles from the pier and I believe that we were there in 8 minutes flat. We spent the day by the beach, under our palapa (grass umbrella), sipping Pina Coladas and eating the most wonderful Mexican food! Their nachos and guacamole are outstanding! I took the most glorious nap after lunch (and a few Pina Coladas)—it was wonderful!

That night Jason and Ethan turned in early and so I went with Larry and Sue, Annie and Greg, and Kathy and Terry to Bingo and the show. The comedian was really funny and hit the nail on the head about gas. I was laughing so hard at Mark Price’s “Top 10 Stupidest Questions asked on a Cruise” that he sought me out in the audience. It was like Moses parting the Red Sea; all you could see was me, cackling so hard and my group leaning away from me.

My favorite question was from the lady who called and said “I can’t get out of my cabin! I’m locked in!”

Mark: “Calm down ma’am, what seems to be the problem?”

Lady: “I only have two doors in my cabin: one leads to the bathroom and the other has a Do Not Disturb sign on it!”

Afterwards, we all went to have burgers and fries on the Lido deck.

Last day at sea:

We met everyone for breakfast in the Monet dining room. The Eggs Benedict was really good and the Belgian waffles were suited to my taste. Afterwards, we waddled around the ship, stopping for bingo and towel animal folding. At 1:00, we met up with our CC buddies in Larry and Sue’s suite and recapped the cruise highlights. The rest of the afternoon was spent having the Chocolate Buffet (and a little fish and chips from Sur Mer) and just hanging out with our friends. That evening at dinner was bittersweet. We were sad to leave our wonderful wait staff and we knew that we would be leaving the next day. We went to bingo and the Carnival Legends show after dinner, along with another midnight trip to the Sky Grille for fries!

Debarkation morning and the “Oh, your bags are at the bottom of Galveston Harbor”:

Jason, Ethan, and I woke early to see the ship pull in and turn around. It is just as magical being on the ship and watching as it was the previous Sunday morning from Harbor House. We were sad to be leaving our friends and ALL THAT FOOD! As Jason and I were packing our last few things, we kept hearing Kathy and Terry’s names being called over the intercom. Since we were all meeting for breakfast on the Lido, we couldn’t wait to find out the scoop. We left our cabin and went upstairs to wake up Larry and Sue and find Kathy and Terry. We eventually all caught up with each other in the Cézanne restaurant and the first thing out of Kathy’s mouth is, “You might want to sit down for this” as she is laughing so hard that she is crying.

Terry: “We knew that Lisa would get a kick out of this story.”

Kathy: “Our luggage has been involved in a bit of an accident.”

Terry: “Our luggage has gone overboard and is believed to be resting at the bottom of Galveston harbor.”

Lisa: “Oh, crap! Are YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

I must hand it to Kathy and Terry because they took it all in stride, even after they found out that it was Larry and Sue’s luggage. Poor Larry and Sue—they are trying to replace everything that was lost, including Sue’s perfect purple stapler!

I went in to this trip with a wonderful attitude and high expectations. However, I must say that Carnival has exceeded my expectations in every way. The food was superb, the ship was very clean (always someone cleaning!), and the staff was very friendly and accommodating (I never met a rude staff member—always “Merry Christmas” and “Hello, How are you?”). Camp Carnival was wonderful and Ethan really enjoyed his time there. There is always something to do on the Conquest—never a shortage of activities! But I believe that our wonderful friends made the trip outstanding. We love you guys and cannot wait to cruise with you all again!

What website did you book Nachi Cocum thru?

Thats how we felt after we got off the Conquest, sorry to hear about your bag but good attitude about it. I like your avatar, its cute!

I agree. Better than reading this, "We are NEVER sailing Carnival again because they almost lost our luggage". LOL I can't wait to read the reviews, my family is looking into the Conquest for our 2009 cruise. Since I've never cruised on a conquest class ship before I'm all ears. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. :)

Excellent reviews. Ethan sounds like a sweetheart. Thank you for sharing your reviews and your great attitudes.

You're quite welcome! It was my pleasure to relive my cruise memories by writing them down! :) And, even though I am biased because I'm his mom, Ethan stole the hearts of all who we traveled with and met on the ship. We are thinking about cruising on the Pride next Christmas and he is so excited!

I agree. Better than reading this, "We are NEVER sailing Carnival again because they almost lost our luggage". LOL I can't wait to read the reviews, my family is looking into the Conquest for our 2009 cruise. Since I've never cruised on a conquest class ship before I'm all ears. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. :)

I wanted to write a refreshing review about the ship because so many times you either read a bad review or a "It was really good. The end." type of review. I know that there are lots of people who want to know the little details that made the cruise special. Before we traveled, I constantly read this site, looking for little tidbits of info that helped me plan better. Any questions, just ask! :)

Lisa

Lisa,

LOL Well, someone had to take over since Annie has been sick. I believe you are correct with the list of lost items, but you left out the mushrooms! Or should I say Jason must have taken those out when you were not looking. : D

I am getting used to being off work and liking it very much...might have to just take another cruise if I had one one week off, but we have to pay the bills and save for another cruise. : D

Greg

Greg,

That's what I kept telling myself this morning as I rolled over and stared 5 am in the face: "Must work to cruise, must work to cruise..." :D Gotta feed this addiction somehow!

I think Jas did swipe those mushrooms off my plate and must have given them to Larry. Too bad that we didn't have more cocktail sauce for Sue!

Lisa

Ohhhhhh, the cocktail sauce. Thanks Greg for sitting next to me and sharing. We did a cruise fix today. Have Christmas of '08 and '09 booked. Half the suites were already gone for the new ship Splendor in '09!!! We do love the space and having 2 recliners on the balcony. Must sell more in my side jobs. Must do more. We work to cruise twice a year. We told ourselves cat 11 and 12 was for our special year . . . . . . it is so very very hard for us to give up those two categories!! Oh, Dec '09 will be my 10th Carnival and I get invitied to yet ANOTHER party!! I'm sure I can take someone with me, but I am sure it is probably smaller than the one Jason went to with us. We sat with Sherryl and her gang. Doesn't one of you have 10 under your belt by now??

Sue

Archived