Did We Almost Flip Over?

TEMPLE

I remember (back in '05 I believe) a Princess ship that had a thruster problem, and went into about a 30 degree list. A lot more in regards to damage and injuries to pax. than described by the OP. And yet all the experts were saying that the ship was in no danger of rolling over.

Not likely. Sounds more like they took one from the side or had not pumped fuel ,tank to tank, to keep the ship loaded equally.These ships built for coastal cruising have a shallow draft @25' and take rough weather very badly. Curiously the ship with the deepest draft is one of the smallest, Regal Empress ,at 28' The hull was built in Scotland and intended for a light aircraft carrier.

Grandeur of the Seas 2003 March, we were in our first balcony cabin and had left the door open and awoke @ 0200 to the most wild storm. Got out of bed and fell right over (no, wasn't the frozen thingys!) as we were listing heavy to the balcony door. Had to crawl uphill to get back into bed. I stayed and clutched my bed and my husband was actually ON the balcony hanging on, loving ever minute. Isn't there any rules against this?? I have seen areas roped off before in bad storms!

Grandeur of the Seas 2003 March, we were in our first balcony cabin and had left the door open and awoke @ 0200 to the most wild storm. Got out of bed and fell right over (no, wasn't the frozen thingys!) as we were listing heavy to the balcony door. Had to crawl uphill to get back into bed. I stayed and clutched my bed and my husband was actually ON the balcony hanging on, loving ever minute. Isn't there any rules against this?? I have seen areas roped off before in bad storms!

Kinda hard to rope off 1000+ cabin balcony doors! I know if that was me, I would be right out there too! I love storms on the ocean, lots of fun.

Strange to find this topic - the other night I had a very vivid dream, that I was on a cruise and it severely listed to the point that everybody who was on Lido fell into the sea. Most of us swam to shore. The shore, where we landed, looked like a nice location and my husband and I decided to build a house there. It was a gorgeous house - other than falling off the ship I'd say too bad dreams weren't real. But, anyway, I'm sure your experience was scarey - I know how scared I was in my dream. I saw a show, on Discovery channel, about rogue waves and it, almost, made me afraid to cruise. It's like sharks, when I snorkle - it's always in the back of my head.

Some comments make me laugh! People on cruise ships need to just chill out and not worry about things they can't control like rogue waves and by all means STAY off the balconies during raging storms if in one out of safety.

To those of you that are watching the youtube video where the ship is tossing all over...the person was right...not only was there no engine power and there were no passengers but also, this ship is MUCH smaller than any of the cruise ships we're talking about.

As for the pictures you saw of the ship that was docked in port and over on it's side, if you'll notice, that ship was also tiny compared to the cruise ships we're talking about.

The movie, poseidon, would have to have a wave MUCH larger than even the one that hit the norweigan ship that was as high as deck 10. You'd be talking about a wave that has never in history been recorded. That wave in the movie was not only taller than the tallest deck on the ship but had enough force to take the ship out.

If any of us ever got hit on a cruise ship with a wave even CLOSE to the size of that one, you wouldn't be here wondering if you were about to flip over! :))

Some comments make me laugh! People on cruise ships need to just chill out and not worry about things they can't control like rogue waves and by all means STAY off the balconies during raging storms if in one out of safety.

To those of you that are watching the youtube video where the ship is tossing all over...the person was right...not only was there no engine power and there were no passengers but also, this ship is MUCH smaller than any of the cruise ships we're talking about.

As for the pictures you saw of the ship that was docked in port and over on it's side, if you'll notice, that ship was also tiny compared to the cruise ships we're talking about.

The movie, poseidon, would have to have a wave MUCH larger than even the one that hit the norweigan ship that was as high as deck 10. You'd be talking about a wave that has never in history been recorded. That wave in the movie was not only taller than the tallest deck on the ship but had enough force to take the ship out.

If any of us ever got hit on a cruise ship with a wave even CLOSE to the size of that one, you wouldn't be here wondering if you were about to flip over! :))

Please stop trying to interject reality into this discussion...

;)

Please check your facts, as this did truly happen with 800 on board.

http://http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20050215/ai_n9534444

Below is footage taken from someone on board the ship while they didn't have power. It's in spanish, but in any language the call of a child screaming for his or her mother is heart breaking not matter the language.

http://http://www.metacafe.com/watch/509911/inside_the_rough_cruise_ship/

I ride a GoldWing motorcycle. I don't worry about cruise ships going over. :D

Not only the wind in your hair -- but the bugs in your teeth??? :rolleyes:

Cruising on two wheels -- you're right, who'd care about a wave on a huge ship! ;) You live with danger...

Please stop trying to interject reality into this discussion...

;)

So.... Perhaps then we come down to this: How would a smaller CCL ship (e.g. Holiday, Jubilee) fare in the teeth of a MAJOR hurricane. The hell with Olga. Lets talk Katrina or Rita. C'mon now, some of these major hurricanes have been brewing fast in the Caribbean/Gulf of late, potentially catching even our best technology watchers napping (Pearl Harbor are you listening?) Would the repeated pounding of bad-boy cat 4 or 5 size waves flip one of these ships??

Yeah, I hate too much reality crap too sometimes but I had to ask...:rolleyes:

Ships built for the North Atlantic crossing have much deeper draft than coastal cruisers and are in fact designed to survive 100' seas.Much more stable but, back in the day the Norway could not even get into St Thomas and had to tender due to the draft.

If it makes you feel ANY better....

My DH and his fishing buddies were 30 miles off the coast of GA yesterday. Rouge waves EVERYWHERE! They were in my DH's 28 ft boat. Waves hit them from every direction. One wave came over the front of the boat, had the boat nearly standing up in the water, another came from the port side making a grand attempt at rolling them.

Even in that small boat, they did not roll or flip. All the safety features worked properly and they brought home their limit of fish.:D (However the retired Marine my dh fishes with looked a little green!)

If it makes you feel ANY better....

My DH and his fishing buddies were 30 miles off the coast of GA yesterday. Rouge waves EVERYWHERE! They were in my DH's 28 ft boat. Waves hit them from every direction. One wave came over the front of the boat, had the boat nearly standing up in the water, another came from the port side making a grand attempt at rolling them.

Even in that small boat, they did not roll or flip. All the safety features worked properly and they brought home their limit of fish.:D (However the retired Marine my dh fishes with looked a little green!)

I guess even the Skipper hit a home run bringing the SS Minnow to Gilligan's Island!!:D

Mach et al..... The youtube video I referred to was the Voyager in the med. in Feb. 2005 and indeed they did have pax and crew (700) on board. They did lose power briefly but did have at least one screw and then restored power. Source: Google

:)

Yep... I'm quite aware of the video. When it was first linked to here people were saying it was a Carnival ship. We all know that not to be the case.

She is a relatively small vessel, around 590 feet if I remember correctly, and had lost power. It all ended well (relatively...) with only four receiving relatively minor injuries.

But, here we have a ship adrift in the midst of some pretty remarkable seas and she did not capsize or founder. I think we're rather safe on our nearly 1,000 foot floating resorts...

Sounds like my story. This was on the Elation gosh i would say 8 years ago. On our last night around 4am....The ships started shaking then leaning further and further on one side. It got so bad i had to put my foot on the wall in my cabin to keep my ballance. All our closet doors started flying open and stuff started falling off of tables in our cabin. Then the ships slowly started leveling back. The whole ordeal lasted bout a min. After that...I went around the ship and all the shops merchandise was all over the floor. The dishes in the dinning room were all broken on the floor. When we had breakfast that morning everything was cleaned up. The only frustrating thing is that the Carnival crew would not give me a direct or any answer as to why this happend. Don't get me wrong...I have sailed with Carnival 3 times since then and have a blast every time.

It was probably a poor choice of words by the cruise director. On the other hand there are probably those moments when the ship does something unexpected and it feels like it is out of control. Like when your car momentarily slips on an icy road.

When your car slips on an icy road, it doesn't just FEEL like it is out of control. Until you REGAIN control it IS out of control. The fortunate part is that it is temporary. Apparently like the OP's experience, thank goodness! It is only when "temporary" lasts too long and something untoward happens before control can be regained that serious problems arise.

I find that temporary loss of control in a car frightening, and I have much more experience with it than the serious listing of a cruise ship.....It would be scary! But since the captain did regain control before anything too serious happened....wow, what a GREAT story to be able to tell!

Archived