Condition of Summit

betsyter

We dined in the Normandie three times, and it was worth every penny. (Be forewarned, though, that the $30 "cover charge" goes to the cruise line, not the waitstaff.) Tipping is at your discretion, of course, but we left a tip based on a $150 presumed value of the meal for two (wine, of course, had the tip included).

The quality of the food in the Cosmopolitan Restaurant: It depends on what you order. Fine cuisine it's not, but neither is it slop; considering that the galley is making 1100 meals at a time for each dinner seating, the food is pretty good. (On your first night, request the appetizer of your choice, even if it's not on the menu; we chose escargot. Perfectly-prepared escargot was waiting for us every night, and yes, we eventually did get sick of it.) :)

The service you receive in the Cosmopolitan seems to depend on which waiter is assigned to your table. Our waiter was named Inyoman, and he and his assistant were very friendly and did an outstanding job. Others reported ... "less-stellar experiences", shall we say. We also had an excellent Assistant Maitre'd, and you'll probably find a direct correlation between his competence and your waiter's. (In other words, if you don't like the service you get on the first evening, ask to change tables, because otherwise that's the service you're going to get for the duration of your cruise.)

The sushi isn't bad, but it's far from sushi-bar quality. The buffet consists mostly of one or two varieties of nigiri each night (including some interesting choices), which seem to rotate, and a couple of varieties of plain maki. You may be able to get nigiri of your choice for the asking, but we didn't explore that. You do have the option of getting handrolls made on the spot. Just remember that this isn't about presentation, it's about "volume, volume, volume", so the quality is fine but there's not much to write home about. Also, you will have to add your own wasabi to each piece of nigiri (the sushi chef said that many passengers don't like any wasabi on their sushi at all; try to figure that out).

Enjoy your cruise!

Gary

I would sail Summit again without a second thought; too bad to be back at work today...

Floris

I have to agree with Floris...I would sail the Summit again in a heartbeat!

We had a wonderful 14 day cruise in December to the Panama Canal....we were on the famous "bedbug cruise".....for us the food, entertainment and service were all top notch...Please don't let a few negative comments change your plans...by the way our cabin was spotless! The Summit is a beautiful ship! :)

Okay, so devastated was a little harsh. Thank you for all the words of encouragement. My husband and I don't worry in the least about a little worn carpet or spots needing paint. I love escargot so may put my request in the first evening! We are definitely not food snobs either, so given there are no bed bugs, I am sure we will have an awesome time. Cannot wait to try the martini bar! Thanks for the positive comments!

I am glad to see some positive comments on the Summit. We, too, will be sailing February 2 and was a little worried reading some of this stuff. We last sailed on Summit in 2003, and it was one of our favorite ships. I don't expect it to be like a new ship, so a little wear and tear won't bother us. We have been on Princess our last couple of cruises, and while we enjoyed them, I am looking forward to sailing Celebrity again.

Thanks to all who have posted the positive. I am feeling much better!

Mary

Everyone

We too are sailing on the Summit out of San Juan 2/2 and are very pleased to hear all the good comments on the ship/food from those who have recently sailed.

Gary, I truly appreciate all the food and dining information you provided. It really is useful to have someone who has recently sailed give valuable input.

Does anyone have a favorite bar they enjoyed prior to dining in the evening? We love to have a pre-dinner cocktail (martinis) and would enjoy any suggestions on a special place to go with a great view of the ocean. Please suggest.

Thanks, Erin

Our CC board for the March 2006 Constellation is still going strong (170 pages). I'm on the Summit March 8th and will make a point to give you a update on conditions a day or two after we sail from the Internet Cafe board ship. There are a few posts about bbugs and norvo but there are a lot of posts of people that have had a typical great Celebrity cruise so I'm not too worried except I picked the ship for some friends that are first time cruisers. BTW the Mar 8th Summit Roll Call is up to 6 posts on one page, no CC party for us!

We loved the Martini Bar with Virgie as our waitress for our pre-dinner (main seating) cocktails last week. The Martini Flight at $9.50 was a fun experience -- 1 oz. samples of 6 different martinis -- we didn't finish them all, but it was fun to compare.

I certainly wish someone could convince the management to open the Revelations/ Edge bar earlier than 8:00 pm because the great views are up there on Deck 11 foreward.

2serendip

Thanks for the info on the Martini Bar. I heard the Edge bar did not open until later and was disappointed, because we really enjoy pre-dinner drinks in a bar that looks over the ocean while it is still daylight.

Appreciate your comments.

Gary

Glad to read your review of the Summit. We are scheduled to depart San Juan on the Summit 2/2 and have been looking forward to cruising on this ship. I understand there has been no refurbishment in 6 years, but am hoping for cleanliness, excellent food and warm weather.

Did you dine in the Normandy restaurant? We were planning to do that and would appreciate any input on whether is it worthwhile. How is the food in the main dining room in the evening? We enjoy good food and wine, but also understand there can be times when the food/service is not up to par. Also, we love good sushi - how does the Summit rate on this?

Thanks for any info on dining.

We love the specialty restaurants on Celebrity and Normandie on Summit was no exception (12/21-1/5). Our party of 6 requested the wine room which is designed for 6 diners; we ate there twice! We had an 18 and a 19 yr old in our party and I'm sure that especially for them its an experience they won't forget.

Based on some of these comments, something dreadful must have happened after our October 12th cruise to Hawaii because we did not find anything drastically wrong with Summit that would have prevented us from sailing again. The service throughout the ship was great. I will agree that the food was not as good as we've had in the past on Celebrity ships but it was in no way bad food. Some of the steaks were tough but that could happen anywhere-and you can always ask for a better one. The restaurant manager explained that they are in a transition period right now and that once the new menus are introduced, things should be much better. Yes,the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" or whatever its called, is still decorated in a strange decor but some of it had been changed from what it used to be. Sure some wear was evident around the ship but with so many people traveling every two weeks on Summit, that's bound to happen. We never sweat the small stuff like a little wear and tear as long as its clean which it definitely was. Why even our homes show a little wear and tear every now and then. We were CC on Sky deck. Our cabin had the new bedding and was very, very comfortable. We did not experience any bedbugs nor did any of our group who were on different decks. We had no problem with room service and our cabin steward was always there to cheerfully attend to any need that we might have. Our balcony rail could have been in need of a fresh coat of paint but we didn't notice because we were too busy enjoying the sights and sounds of our cruise to Hawaii. We had no embarkation/debarkation problems and everything operated smoothly for us. Go enjoy your trip and don't lose sleep worrying about what might happen. Unless they have neglected to maintain Summit since we sailed in October, you're going to have a great cruise.

As the transatlantic ends in Southampton on April 10 & the next cruise starts from there on 29th, I assume the refit is being done there. Anyone know if this is correct? It is a 19 night break, but surely they would not sail it across to a European port & back again. Interested as we have just booked the April 29th cruise. Hope the refurb is as good as you say, let you know how we found it when we get back

As the transatlantic ends in Southampton on April 10 & the next cruise starts from there on 29th, I assume the refit is being done there. Anyone know if this is correct? It is a 19 night break, but surely they would not sail it across to a European port & back again. Interested as we have just booked the April 29th cruise. Hope the refurb is as good as you say, let you know how we found it when we get back

I assume they are refit the Summit in Europe. We are 2 couples from New Jersey and will be on the April 29th cruise. I don't know if you have been told that the cruise itinerary has been changed . They have eliminated Casablanca.. I was also wondering ,We are taking a private guided tour to Normandy and might have room for 2 more people ..

If you like drop me a note... WHYME71842@aol.com

Hi Betsyter,

I'm on the same cruise as you. Our two daughters booked the two outside aft cabins (8166 & 8181). My DW and I booked 8146 (extra varandah space). We're not in our cabin much so our's is fine. We plan on spending some time on the girl's decks:D . My experience with Celebrity has always been good and following her dry dock in April will generate a few months of reviews. This will offer me more than enough time should I want to reconsider the Jan. '09 cruise. I know it's going to be a great cruise;) .

Barry

We sail 2/9/08 and have a great thread going "san juan and south". There is great info for excursions if you are sailing that ship in the carrib. I am anxious to meet my fellow posters. As far as "bugs", from all the postings I have read I believe it was a one time occurance and it will not hinder our cruise.
2serendip: Our gourp of 13 would love this, what bar offered the different martini samples? The Martini Flight at $9.50 was a fun experience -- 1 oz. samples of 6 different martinis -- we didn't finish them all, but it was fun to compare.
I believe if you are hyped up for a good time on a vacation you will overlook the little things like worn carpet or railings ready for a new coat of varnish. When the food is bad or staff is not at its best then you have an issue. However I have not heard one negative on either issue and I am ready to enjoy Celebrity 2/9.

For those posters who have recently been on Celebrity, what did you like best and what should we not miss doing? Happy cruising, Laurie

We sail on 2/2 - Southern Carib. - 2nd time on Celebrity and if it is anything like the 1st, we are bound to have an awesome time. As for normal wear and tear, that doesn't bother us as long as things are CLEAN! We sailed Princess to Alaska 2 years ago and while we had the option of the Crown vs. Summit for this vacation, we hands down picked Celebrity. In our opinion, the food on Princess was not as good as X and the service was slightly better on X as well. This time we booked a Sky Suite - looking forward to it - 21 days from today :)

...thanks so much for your upbeat comments on this thread!!! My husband, daughter and I leave for our 2nd cruise in 30 years...on the 29th of April. We'll be cruising the Med on the Summit....!!!! WHOO-HOO!!! I agree with you...the worst descriptions of these cruises...beat some of our best ]vacation conditions...!!! I've never had a bad time on a vacation...(well, pneumonia did take some of the fun out of Naples...but...)...I guess I figure you get what you get...and the real challenge is seeing the best of it...no matter what....And...on yeah...where is that martini bar at...?????

Wow ! What a surprise to hear all the negative comments. We sailed the Summit in February. 14 day, Panama canal cruise. We had an aft, concierge cabin with the huge deck. It was wonderful .the bedding was not new but very comfortable to me. Our service was excellent, throughout the ship.
Our cabin was very clean. The deck was slightly dirty. I told this to our cabin stewart and it was clean by the next day.
Love the thallo pool, love the food in the spa area.
My opinion- the buffet food was buffet food- no better no worse. The dining room food was good, some excellent.
We dont cruise that often but our last five cruises were on Celebrity Millenium ships. The menu is ALWAYS the same.
Their were no surprises. ( especially if you have a good memory )
The next time I cruise I will try a different cruise line to taste and see something new. But I still loved our cruise. Could not ask for better service. and the ship was very clean.
All the sister ships are alike- Again , as stated I would like to experience something new ( and get lost a little on the ship )
All in all I would give the aft cabin an "A PLUS", cleanliness an "A PLUS", food an "A ", entertainment variety a"C"
Enjoy your cruise
Nadine

[quote name='pna']I am so devastated to hear about the Summit. We have always sailed Princess, but haven't cruised for a couple years. Had heard such great things previous to scheduling this trip about Celebrity food and service. Then of course, our luck, they change chefs...........and bed bugs?! That is unacceptable. Anyone heard what they are doing about it? Any suggestions to find out if the problem is fixed before we leave in February? Now I am very worried about the whole cruise. Guess I can't do anything as we are paid![/quote]

There is not anything to be devestated about! We were on the Summit to Hawaii Oct/Nov and found everything to be very clean, just a little worn carpeting here and there. The condition of the carpeting is no reason to have a trip ruined anymore than a trip to the mall/school/airport/museum/etc ruined due to some typical wear and tear.

Our only complaint was that our neighbor smoked stinking up the fresh sea air that we paid for on our balcony. Too bad that all of the smokers can't smoke in a smoking section in the public areas. Even our drapes began to smell smoky! The ship crew found the room to be smoky also so they brought us an air purifyer to use in our room.

Archived