Is Hell worth it?

cruisinpatley

We will be on the RCI Mariner of the Seas and this is our second cruise. We have never been to the Grand Caymans, and we want to do some snorkeling at a ship wreck and go out to the sting ray city. It seems fun to go to the town of Hell, but I can not find the right tour that does all (snorkel, sting ray, and Hell). I’m mostly looking at the Ship tours, which I know is very, very bad. It seems most experienced cruisers use non-ship tours, but I have a hard time with it. It is the “time” thing that gets me. I could not go on a cruise for the longest time because of the time thing. I can’t handle being late and every port visit is a chance for me being late for the ship. I’m working on it and since we are taking a 2nd cruise, I am getting better.:D

Back to the tour question:

It seems the best thing to do is to take the snorkel/sting ray tour and then take a taxi to visit Hell. Does anybody have any experience with doing these things and have any better ideas? Is it worth it to “go to Hell”? Thanks.

We will be on the RCI Mariner of the Seas and this is our second cruise. We have never been to the Grand Caymans, and we want to do some snorkeling at a ship wreck and go out to the sting ray city. It seems fun to go to the town of Hell, but I can not find the right tour that does all (snorkel, sting ray, and Hell). I’m mostly looking at the Ship tours, which I know is very, very bad. It seems most experienced cruisers use non-ship tours, but I have a hard time with it. It is the “time” thing that gets me. I could not go on a cruise for the longest time because of the time thing. I can’t handle being late and every port visit is a chance for me being late for the ship. I’m working on it and since we are taking a 2nd cruise, I am getting better.:D

It seems the best thing to do is to take the snorkel/sting ray tour and then take a taxi to visit Hell. Does anybody have any experience with doing these things and have any better ideas? Is it worth it to “go to Hell”? Thanks.

If you want to go to Hell with a taxi, you may want to keep the taxi. The BIG thing to do there is send cards. Bring your own pens. They are hard to get them there. I also make mail labels. That way, I can just put the label on and add a quick note and then I get back to the ship. Have fun. The best thing about going to "hell" is the reaction of my friends and family when the cards come home. Don't forget to add USA to your address (or whever you live.)

Just my 2 cents, but if it's not included on your tour, I would just skip Hell this time around. There is really not much there to see and as the other poster said, the main activity is buying and sending cards to those back home. It's so crowded in the couple of shops there that you can hardly move. There is also a small area with some black lava-like rock formations, hence the name "Hell". It's really more of a tourist trap than anything else. I would just take the extra time and walk around town or spend some time at the beach.

We've been to GC about 4-5 times now and if you take a tour offered by the taxi drivers, Hell is always an included stop. IMHO, I would recommend seeing the stingrays and snorkeling your first trip. When you return, you can always get an inexpensive taxi tour (usually about $20/pp) that lasts about 2 hours and you will get to see Hell on that trip. I still have my bumper sticker from my first trip "I've been to Hell and back...":D

Thanks everyone for your input and pictures. This is such a great web site! It is better to get people’s real experiences and opinions instead of just reading the travel books. It looks like we should lean toward staying good this trip and not go to Hell.:) If I just can convince my DD! Thanks again and keep it coming.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy cruising year!

We have been to Hell and back about three times. Last time I took my dear MIL there.

If you do this in conjunction with another tour, I'd say go at least once. Otherwise going to Hell and Hell alone might not be worth your time. We've only been on tours that stop in Hell on the way to the main attraction - such as the Turtle Farm. They stop in Hell for about 15 minutes on the way there.

If you do go, be sure to send a post card from Hell to yourself or a friend so you/they can claim they received a post card from Hell. It will also have the famous postmark from Hell stamped on it.

Nope, not worth it - gone once, was a bit facinated, second trip on a tour, stared for 2 minutes and walked away (it was also Boxing Day 12/26 - holiday for them so the post office was closed), didn't bother with the gift shop. I woulnd't spend any extra money to go there, that's for sure.

We went to Hell on a combination Carnival excursion: Stingrays/Hell/Turtle Farm. We LOVED the combination tour. We bought t-shirts: "Been to Hell and Back," "I've Been to Hell and Survived"...that sort of thing and sent the post cards from Hell....that's really fun. It's a very small spot and worth it one time....I'd combine it with something else.

Archived