bringing your own gear to cococay

SoFetch

hi, forgive me if this has been asked before. i searched and found a lot about bringing your own equipment but nothing about the fins in particular.

we are both first time snorkelers and want to snorkel when our cruise stops at cococay. i understand b/c this is a private island, RC regulates it and requires certain things like vests.

my question is, will we be allowed to snorkel without fins? i would rather just buy the snorkel and the mask, because it's cheaper (and also sanitary issues) and it is harder to find the whole set for a cheap price when it is the off-season here in jersey.

thanks in advance

hi, forgive me if this has been asked before. i searched and found a lot about bringing your own equipment but nothing about the fins in particular.

we are both first time snorkelers and want to snorkel when our cruise stops at cococay. i understand b/c this is a private island, RC regulates it and requires certain things like vests.

my question is, will we be allowed to snorkel without fins? i would rather just buy the snorkel and the mask, because it's cheaper (and also sanitary issues) and it is harder to find the whole set for a cheap price when it is the off-season here in jersey.

thanks in advance

Yes, you can use your own equipment. We took ours ashore last June, and we had masks and snorkels only, because our fins were too big to travel with.

I just got us some new equipment for Christmas. My snorkel had broken and both of our masks had started leaking. I went to a local dive shop, and found great 3 piece sets by US Divers that came in their own backpacks. The fins are wonderful because they're not as long and cumbersome as our old ones. I actually bought a youth set and found that it's a better fit for me than an adult small.

Good luck!:)

Be careful if you bring your own equipment that you don't ruin your fins. My husband scratch his up really bad because you basically walk into the water to snorkel at Coco Cay, and there was a lot of rocks. I took mine off while walking out of the water and didn't ruin mine, but he left his on too long and ruined his.

That was the only down thing about snorkeling at Coco Cay. The snorkeling was pretty good there. They also rent equipment there. You can just rent the fins if that's all you need. You are required to rent the snorkel vest at Coco Cay.

I bring my own gear to Coco and I haven't messsed up my set yet. Yes you can snorkel without fins....I did it this last time. We were out in the water for 5hrs and without fins..It killed me. It was a struggle getting back in par for the fact that I was tired out.:eek:

Archived