Miami Children's Museum - A MUST for kids!!

Host Jacquelyn

Just back from our cruise on Freedom. We spent a few days in Miami pre-cruise and decided to visit the Miami Children's Museum after looking at various different options. Our children - aged 3 and almost 5 - loved it. We live in a big city and have many child friendly venues, but I have never seen a museum with this many hands on exhibits geared towards kids (outside of Disney). Never mind the cruise, my children are already asking when they can visit the museum again! If you are staying in Miami pre cruise with young kids (under 8, I would say), the Children's Museum is a great way to spend the day.

You'll have to tell us all about your cruise. I was wondering when you were going. :)

We have a Pittsburgh Children's Museum that my children adore, so I bet they would love the one in Miami. Thanks for the advice!

We also live near Pittsburgh. We got a family season pass to the Carnegie Museums as a gift for Christmas. We took the boys (1 and 2 1/2 yrs) to the Science Center on the day after Christmas. They both loved the train exhibit and the top floor was excellent for my 2yr old. The had a water table and he did not want to leave. We were going to try the Children's Museum on the Friday after Christmas, but it was so packed we couldn't find parking there or at the Science Center.

If we end up going down to Miami a day or 2 early for my cruise in April we will definitely have to check it out.

Kellie

We also live near Pittsburgh. We got a family season pass to the Carnegie Museums as a gift for Christmas. We took the boys (1 and 2 1/2 yrs) to the Science Center on the day after Christmas. They both loved the train exhibit and the top floor was excellent for my 2yr old. The had a water table and he did not want to leave. We were going to try the Children's Museum on the Friday after Christmas, but it was so packed we couldn't find parking there or at the Science Center.

If we end up going down to Miami a day or 2 early for my cruise in April we will definitely have to check it out.

Kellie

Haven't been to the Science Center yet. We wanna try that and the Aviary. Since it's a 2.5 hour trip for us, I have to wait till the weather gets a little better. They love the children's museum though. The top floor with the water works is like an accident waiting to happen though. (at least with my kids). My 3 year fell so many times I lost track of the number.

Glad to hear your kids loved it. We're going pre-cruise on the 11th. Here's a question for you... were there places for adults to sit and talk while the kids explore? I chose the Children's Museum as a place for my husband and I to meet up with his Aunt and Uncle (in their 70s) so that the kids would be entertained and engaged. But I'm not sure how loud it's going to be or if there are places for the Aunt and Uncle to sit.

Thanks

--Debbie

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, sorry I never replied to these posts.

Michele, you are right, I still need to post a review. I started one a while back, but have gotten so tied up with work. I plan on writing a review from the point of view of a family with 2 preschoolers.

Debbie, Yes, there are a few benches for adults to sit down in the main corridor, but I don't recall whether there are any places to sit in the different rooms. How old are the kids you will be with? The museum has many rooms over 2 floors, so you may not want the kids roaming by themselves.

Ultimately, if anyone here is looking for a great way to spend a day pre-cruise with their kids, the Children's Museum is the place to be. We have a huge Science Center in my city, but it does not hold a candle to the Miami Children's museum

No worries. I've already been and gone. We met up there and had a great time. There were places to sit everywhere we went.

We went with our 19 month old and 3 year old. They both had a ball. I definitely agree that it's a great place to go with kids before a Miami cruise.

--Debbie

Archived