Snorkeling choices

ClaireDavid

Aboard NCL Pearl in February, we'll be hitting Dominican Republic, Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados. Have read great things about snorkeling at 2 locations -- Antigua (adventureantigua.com) and Barbardos (thrillertours and silvermoon). In our travels, we've had great experiences snorkeling (Belize - many fish and colorful coral and easy surf to swim in) but unfortunately more lousy experiences (St. Maarten twice - rough surf and not much to see), with a lot of mediocre in between. DH isn't a strong swimmer and is getting turned off to snorkeling because of recent disappointing snorkeling experiences. Will we find snorkeling any of our Feb. ports of call that compare favorably to Belize with fairly effortless swimming involved? Which private tour operators if not these? Many thanks...... Claire

Aboard NCL Pearl in February, we'll be hitting Dominican Republic, Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados. Have read great things about snorkeling at 2 locations -- Antigua (adventureantigua.com) and Barbardos (thrillertours and silvermoon). In our travels, we've had great experiences snorkeling (Belize - many fish and colorful coral and easy surf to swim in) but unfortunately more lousy experiences (St. Maarten twice - rough surf and not much to see), with a lot of mediocre in between. DH isn't a strong swimmer and is getting turned off to snorkeling because of recent disappointing snorkeling experiences. Will we find snorkeling any of our Feb. ports of call that compare favorably to Belize with fairly effortless swimming involved? Which private tour operators if not these? Many thanks...... Claire

Hi Claire,

Our group is also cruising to the same ports as you in February (1-10) but will be on NCL's "Jewel". I've been researching snorkeling tour companies and the one that keeps coming up with great reviews is Stephen Tryhane of Thriller Turtle Tour, which you note in your post. We're booking Stephen for a private tour...just waiting to get a confirmation from him.

In Tortola, another great tour that comes up on the boards is w/White Squall II, which includes a lunch on the sail boat/schooner. Past cruisers have raved about this tour as well.

Although I haven't experienced these tours (as yet) myself, maybe this helps you in making your decision. Enjoy your cruise and Happy New Year!

Debra

A good choice for Antigua. Eli's Ecotour is the best snorkel trip in the Caribbean, hands down!

Tortola also has good snorkeling, but not at the ever popular Baths. It's bscome ao overrun that the coral is mostly dead and there are few fish.

However, the other islands, particularly Norman, are excellent. Patouche has a first rate operation at Tortola:

http://www.patouche.com/

St Lucia is reportedly good near the Soufreire end of the island. I once went with a ship's cat tour. It was a scenic and fun sail, but the snorkeling at Marigot Bay was poor, not much there but a sand bottom.

I recently booked Dive Fair Helen based on the many positive comments on CC. They're used to having cruise ship pax, and they know the best spots. They pick up either at the ship or the ferry dock nearby:

http://www.divefairhelen.com/cruise_ship_special.htm

Thanks both of you for your info. Of all of these islands, which is the absolute best snorkeling? Claire

Haven't been to D. R., but all the rest are excellent.

Frankly, the most important thing is to book with

a good, reliable operator who will take you to the best

spots. That's why I always list tour names (please see my

reference to Eli's EcoTour).

Hi Claire,

We have an upcoming visit to Belize in April. Can you tell me where and with who you snorkeled with in Belize? Thanks for any information or advice you can share.

I booked Belize thru the ship, Grand Princess. Usually I try to book with an independent, but this is a tender port and the snorkel boat pickup up at the ship. The snorkeling, at Rendezvous Cay, was good. The isle is surrounded by the Barrier Reef, so there's lots of marine life. The boat anchored near the isle in shallow water which made the beach easy access.

The brochure description was accurate:

Your vessel is equipped with shaded areas and restrooms. En route, the crew provides basic snorkel instruction, a safety briefing, and equipment. Drop anchor at Rendezvous Cay and set off on a guided snorkel. The cay features areas suited for both experienced and novice snorkelers. The colorful hard and soft coral formations are home to sponges, sea fans and schools of tropical fish. Rum punch is served after snorkeling. Enjoy some free time to relax on the small beach in the shade of a coconut palm. Snorkel equipment including safety vest, professional instruction, supervision, bottled water and soft drinks are included.

TCinCT - We stayed several days on Ambergris Caye and snorkeled there 2 days by booking through two of the many dive/snorkel operators along the beach in town. We snorkeled one day with sting rays and nurse sharks plus another site with lots of great fish, and the second day at Mexico Rocks with great fish and fantastic coral. Both were really great sites and not very crowded, along the reef near the main town in AC. Claire

Archived