Explorer: Great ship, great cruise, bonus day included!

cakeone

onlyyrag@aol.com

Sailed this magnificent beauty from 8/29 thru 9/6.. was supposed to debark on the 5th but had an extra 'sea day' because of Francis visiting Port of Miami ;) .. & with seas in the 9-12 ft range, the term 'sea day' was appropriate :(

I've sailed RCI 11 times prior, but this is my first on a Voyager class ship. We had a D2 balcony, in the forward section of the ship; great choice if you want to be closer to the main showroom and bigger lounge, but for the food areas (dining rooms & Windjammer) it was a l-o-n-g walk!! This ship is HUGE!!

There seemed to be enough elevators to make the 15 decks accesible from most any area of the ship; it was that horizontal walk that turned into our daily form of exercise!! :))

The condition of the 4 yr old Explorer was surprisingly beautiful. I noticed no execessively worn carpets, wood, etc anywhere on the ship. Although I will admit, I was enjoying myself way too much to even bother with such trivial pursuits.

The Promenade is simply stunning! Numerous shops, bars, ample foodstuffs, and an ambiance closer to a downtown citycenter than anything else. Truly the physical and spiritual center of the ship.

To those of you fortunate to cruise with a cruise director like Clodaugh O'Conner ("Clo") - you will feel so blessed. What an incredible mix of professionalism & personality. It's no surprise that she has been granted the ongoing position of being the CD for the Explorer - and the honor of being the first and ONLY female CD for a mega class ship.

I could go on & on with many superlative comments, (and a few really minor grumbles) but I'd risk the possibility of some saying I was a TA or a shill for RCI - of which I am neither. I'm just a thoroughly satisfied cruiser with wonderful memories of a great vacation. Any specifics, just feel free to email me - link is at top of post - & I will answer with as much info as I can

I apologize in being late posting this short review; it was only because I live in a surburb of West Palm Beach, Florida, and had no electric power or clean water for 7 long days. No damage, but to live and sleep in 90 degree heat is not my current idea of fun...

especially after coming home from 8 days of paradise!!!

I read your review with great interest since we're sailing on Explorer on September 26th. Can't wait! Glad to hear Clo is the CD. She was on one of our past cruises (can't remember which one) and I remember she was quite a character (is she still starting her diet "tomorrow"? :D . and seemed very sincere and approachable.

SeaBaby

You got our day!!!!!! (smile) :eek:

Ira

Sorry 'bout that - not much choice tho!!

By the way, I heard that since you 'lost' that day, you were eligible for a $250. p/cabin credit.. AND a 50% discount on the next cruise (before 12/05)

This is true? When I heard that, I almost booked immediately.. and then I wouldn't have gotten off the ship!! :)

Archived