excursion recommendation for little kids

Dogstar37

We are traveling on RC Jewel of the Seas at the end of January and looking for excursion recommendation for our family with 5 and 3 yr. old girls. I am hesitant to do the longer excursions for the obvious reasons. We would certainly do a beach, just thought I'd check to see if there were any other ideas.

Also, any opinon on booking through RC or an independent?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Deanna

I think the beach is the way to go with the two little ones. It's funny that you asked about booking on the ship or off....we didn't as I never book with the ship because my mother always told me you can more than likely get the same excursions when you get off the ship for half the price if not less than that. So we met a couple on our cruise that were going to Playa Mia, they booked through the ship and paid $75pp all inclusive and asked us to come. We got off the ship and spoke with a taxi driver and asked him to take us there because they said it was great there. He told me that he had a place that was better so he took us to Paradise beach...it cost us $9pp to get in and the chairs were free. We just had to pay for whatever we wanted to do if we wanted to do jetskiing or parasailing. DH and a friend did parasailing they were asking $60 pp but for the two they gave it to them for $100. Then we did jetskiing they were asking $55pr hour but told us that it was a slow day so we could use them as long as wel liked. Without the extra watersports the food cost us a total of $45 and then it cost us $9pp to get in so it was way cheaper than it would have been on the ship. My daughter loved the trampoline in the middle of the ocean and getting a henna tattoo. I think it's a great place and happens to be our favorite port thus far.

Also, any opinon on booking through RC or an independent?

In Cozumel, definitely do it yourself.

First, I'd skip any of the all-inclusive places. Unless you drink a fair amount, it wouldn't be a good value to you, and I really can't picture you drinking more than maybe one drink if you have two little kids with you.

I'll recommend 2 places to go. You can take a taxi to either one quite easily and there will be taxis waiting to take you back to the ship when you are ready to leave as well. Just be sure to agree to the price before you get in the taxi and try to have exact change. Take lots of $1's and $5's. Sometimes the drivers "can't" make change.

First place: Paradise Beach club. No entrance fee, but you will be expected to buy around $10 of food/drinks per person if you use their facilities. That isn't hard to do and I don't think they'd be really strict about it with the little girls. The food there is good. The beach is one of the nicer ones on the west side of the island, and for an optional $9 per person you can get a bracelet to use the water toys.

Second place: Chankanaab Park. There is and admission fee. You can get a discount coupon HERE

There is a lot to do there that is free. They have a swimming pool and a shallow lagoon for little kids to play in that isn't too deep. Pretty much all of the park has been rebuilt since wilma flattened it in late 2005. Please don't support the captive dolphin exploitation program there however.

You could easily spent most of the day at either place, then head back to the ship in the afternoon for some nap.

Thanks cruisinjerseygirl and bruce-r for the recommendations and tips!

I figured the beach was the way to go and now feel confident that we can do it ourselves with taxi's etc. I'll print out your info and take it with me.

PS bruce-r I lived in Portland for two years and was down in Salem often, loved every minute of of beautiful Oregon!

Archived