Grand Suite or Owner's Suite - which would you suggest?

RRMan

We're planning a Panama Canal trip aboard the Jewel for next November. It's a big celebration for us and we'd like to do it up in style. Do you have any thoughts about the Grand Suite or Owner's Suite...or pictures, maybe. We like to spend time on the balcony and the Owner's Suite, though more expensive, seems to have a very small balcony - half the size of the GS balcony. Would really appreciate any feedback before we make a final decision. Thanks!

We're planning a Panama Canal trip aboard the Jewel for next November. It's a big celebration for us and we'd like to do it up in style. Do you have any thoughts about the Grand Suite or Owner's Suite...or pictures, maybe. We like to spend time on the balcony and the Owner's Suite, though more expensive, seems to have a very small balcony - half the size of the GS balcony. Would really appreciate any feedback before we make a final decision. Thanks!

Not true on the Jewel of the Seas. The OS has a balcony that is 1/3 larger than the GS. The Radiance has a pop out at the bedroom area, and the balcony is smaller than that of the GS. In my opinion, that was a bad decision that was corrected on the later Radiance class ships.

The OS has a large screen, plasma style TV.

Other than that, the OS gives you a dining table for 4 (we actually had housekeeping switch the round one out for a rectangular one for a special occasion dinner for 6 people. We have entertained as many as 40 people in the living room and balcony for a stand up cocktail party.

The bathrooom of the OS has a seperate shower, something that I enjoy, as I don't like to get over and into a tub for a shower.

Other than that, both cabins are very comfortable.

Rick

If you like a larger balcony, look at 1060! It is a GS and I am not sure if it is the same on the Jewel but on Brilliance the balcony was HUGE! The cabin was a good size and very convenient to everything. The OS is an awesome cabin but you say you spend much time on the balcony. I would at least ask about 1060 just for the balcony alone!

If you like a larger balcony, look at 1060! It is a GS and I am not sure if it is the same on the Jewel but on Brilliance the balcony was HUGE! The cabin was a good size and very convenient to everything. The OS is an awesome cabin but you say you spend much time on the balcony. I would at least ask about 1060 just for the balcony alone!

1060 on the Jewel is an OS. We have had both 1058 and 1060. 1058 actually has a larger balcony, with a table for 4 on the balcony. It's just behind the hump, and the balcony of 1058 takes in part of the hump, which is why the table outside!!

Rick

We've stayed in an OS on the Navigator (thank you Upgrade Fairy) and a GS on the Liberty. I have photos (and mini-film clips of the Navigator) of both. Even though the Jewel is a bit different, this should give you a comparison of the size difference.

If it's just for 2 of you, I honestly think the GS would be large enough. The OS is about 6 feet wider we figure and maybe a bit deeper. Actually like the bathroom in the GS better (the shower is smaller in the OS and hard to shave your legs in!)

Liberty GS: http://www.burkart.phanfare.com/album/456090

Navigator OS: http://www.burkart.phanfare.com/album/138490

And the balcony in this room did run the whole length of the room, which was long. There were 4 of us. We have had the OS on the Voyager and the Explorer...but this was by far the best OS, and had the biggest balcony.

I wasn't sure about the difference in the 2 ships so I didn't realize 1060 was an OS on the Jewel and a GS on Brilliance but it WAS a huge balcony. We had an OS on Mariner and loved every minute of it but the balcony on our GS on Brilliance was much larger than our OS balcony. It is because it is at the back of the hump so you pick up LOTS of extra room. The only draw-back for some might be that it is mostly shaded most of the time...I liked it that way though.

I really appreciate all of this information and the pix. I think if our kids make the cruise with us it will be nice to have the OS for a gathering spot. If it ends up being just the two of us, the GS is likely good enough and we can use the extra $$ for other things.

We enjoy the Grand Suite, but truly prefer the Owners Suite. No one has mentioned that the tub in the Grand Suite is an European soaking tub and is very very high. Because of a minor leg problem I had difficulty in getting into the tub. (Maybe also because of my age)

By the way, I had no trouble shaving legs in the Owners Suite. Be a little inventive and make use of the bidet.

Either way, ENJOY your cruise!!!!

Macorobabe

We have a GS on AOS in a few weeks. Myself, hubby and two teens and we hope it's enough room for us all. An OS opened up yesterday and I thought about taking it but it was soooooooo much more.

Anyone stay in a GS on Adventure with 4? Did you have enough room?:confused:

We have had an OS and a GS. Only DH and myself in the room, and both rooms had plenty of space. The decision seems to be personal preference. I liked the GS better because of the large soaking tub. I don't like a seperate shower, DH does! DH also liked the OS better because of the dining table,and the large tv that swivels to face the bed or living area. Both rooms are beautiful!! In either one, you will have a wonderful cruise!

We have a GS on AOS in a few weeks. Myself, hubby and two teens and we hope it's enough room for us all. An OS opened up yesterday and I thought about taking it but it was soooooooo much more.

Anyone stay in a GS on Adventure with 4? Did you have enough room?:confused:

I've stayed in a GS on Explorer which is the same as the AOS with 3 kids (granted they were aged 6 - 12), and we were fine. Just make good use of the balcony and you will have plenty of room.

Archived