Grand Cayman - Horseback riding on the beach?

CruiseCouple5

My girlfriend and I are sailing on the Legend 5/25/08 and I was reading some reviews. I came upon one review that mentioned horseback riding on the beach through http://www.csstables.com

I was wondering if anyone has done this tour or if they had any information about it.

Thanks

Buddy

We're looking to do something ethis too at the end of March but am looking for one where we ride out into the sea. Not sure whether to do the riding here or in Ocho Rios. Trying to compare stables at both locations.

Pam.

For those interested, here is some information I got from direct email with people at csstables.com:

I had a question about the beach ride in Grand Cayman Island. I have heard that some tours here in the US do beach rides and also ride the horses as they swim in the ocean. Do you guys allow the riders to enter the water with the horses?

Noland of csstables replied:

Our trail and beach combo rides does not include swimming the horses. This ride is for US$80.00 per rider.

Swimming the horses would be a different ride known as a swim ride. With this ride you trail and beach ride and also swim the horses bareback in the water/sea. This ride goes for US$125.00 per rider and last 2 hours and more at times.

Thanks for your interest!

Regards

Noland.

We did an ocean ride with Chukka stables in Jamaica. It was a GREAT time, but somethings to consider. The spine of a horse is SPINY, and if bareback, may be uncomfortable. The horses don't like the crowding... someone on our tour got nipped to the tune of a basketball size bruise on the thigh! The horses may poo in the water... be in the front of the pack or be ready to naviagate the poo!

We are also looking at booking this excursion for our July cruise. Yet, we haven't had any recommendations regarding this company or reports from others regarding their experience, which is why I still have not booked it. My daughter did a "swim with the horses" excursion at Half Moon Cay last year and it was the highlight of her trip! We would greatly appreciate any information as well! Thanks

we were in Grand Cayman two years ago on vacation and did the Pampered Ponies ride. It was great. We wanted to do the swim with horses but the entire time we were there the water was to rough for the swim with horses. we rode along the beach, ( have rodeo so like to run) and got to run one at a time it was good, the horses were well fed and in good shape. they picked us up at our hotel and brought us back. there were 3 from my family and 2 others, one guy from the other group fell off and they took him directly to the hospital, he was fine just scared, ( he was a med student in grand cayman) i would recommend pampered ponies.

have fun

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

We did the Swim with the horses with Norland in October 2007. It was the wife and I and we are intermediate riders and found this trip to be just awsome.

Norland piced us up right next to the Blue Iguana, which is about a 5 minute walk from port. We got into his Durango and headed to his stables. This is about a 15-30 min ride.

When we arrived we got onto our horses which were already ready to ride. Then you take a 15-20 min ride on a gravel road to another macadam road to the beach. It is a farily easy ride.

Once on the beach you ride for roughly 15 minutes where we passed another of Norland's groups just doing the beach ride. We then unsaddled the horses and went bare back into the ocean.

It was so much fun and challanging to hold on and not fall off the horses. We took the horses to deep water and were swimming with thim up to our shoulders at times. It was just a blast. We took some breaks as it is very tiring on your legs. Norland took photos for us and we brought our digital camera that just sits on the beach while we were in the water.

We did not see anyone on the beach (its opposite of the 7 mile beach) we just saw a lot of pollution (bottles/debris/etc....) The water was crystal and the horses could see where the deep water is. We rode in the water for roughly 30-45 min. and Norland did NOT pressure us to stop or go back at all.

We got tired and started to head back to the stable. Once back they rinsed off the horses and we headed back to port where we had time to talk to Norland about his other horses and then shop at the port.

I would highly recommend this excursion and would do it again if I ever go back. We were tired and you will feel a work out in your legs but well worth it.

Enjoy!

daughter and i swam with horses in may and it was incredible. i hadn't been on a horse for over 20 years, so it took a while to get used to it, but they were gentle and well mannered. swimming with them was another matter altogether - it was very demanding for me, but not for my daughter. they let her gallop on beach after the swim and she was in heaven (it happened to be her 24th birthday).

fyi - i could not walk properly for 2 days after, so be in good riding shape for this swim. daughter was fine.

Archived