Specifying Flight Arrival Day

gargoyle999

I've got a cruise I just booked via the Carnival website to include the airfair. My wife and I are thinking we might want to fly out the day before since it will be February and we are in Minneaopolis. Never know what Old Man Winter will throw at us.

Since I just booked the trip myself via the website, what is the best way to contact Carnival about flying out the day before? Should I just call the 888 number on the web home page? And does Carnival give people a hard time doing this or is it something they will do upon request.

And on a possibly related note. These PVP's I've seen others mention, is that what you get when you call the 888# or is there another way you get assigned a person?

Thanks!

I've got a cruise I just booked via the Carnival website to include the airfair. My wife and I are thinking we might want to fly out the day before since it will be February and we are in Minneaopolis. Never know what Old Man Winter will throw at us.

Since I just booked the trip myself via the website, what is the best way to contact Carnival about flying out the day before? Should I just call the 888 number on the web home page? And does Carnival give people a hard time doing this or is it something they will do upon request.

And on a possibly related note. These PVP's I've seen others mention, is that what you get when you call the 888# or is there another way you get assigned a person?

Thanks!

Call your PVP.. you will be charged a deviation fee of $50 I do believe to fly in the day before.. If I am wrong I will sure be corrected:D

AIR DEVIATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS

• Deviation Request Forms will be accepted 364-45 days prior to sailing.
  • Alaska/Europe/South AmericaDeviation Forms will be accepted 364-60 days prior to sailing.
  • A deposit must be in house prior to processing any deviation requests.
  • The Air/Sea Deviation Desk will fax back a response within five to seven business days ( Mon - Fri 8:30AM - 6:00PM EST ) from receipt of the initial request.
  • The $50.00($75.00 FOR EUROPE/SOUTH AMERICASAILINGS) per person service fee is NON REFUNDABLE once the deviation is accepted. Subsequent changes done to accepted deviation are subject to an additional $50.00 ($75.00 FOR EUROPE/SOUTH AMERICASAILINGS)per person/per change and will cancel previous accepted flights.
  • PLEASE NOTE: Complete name changes will result in flight cancellations and penalites for Europe Sailings. A new deviation request needs to be submitted for the new guest.
  • The fee is NON REFUNDABLE once accepted and ADDITIONAL AIR COSTS MAY APPLY.
  • The deviation fee and additional air costs are non commissionable.
  • City, ship or saildate changes will automatically cancel the deviation.
  • Air addon's are subject to change without notice until time of ticketing.
  • Guests are responsible for any increases to the air costs that may occur once the deviation is accepted until the time of ticketing.
  • Guest that deviate through the Air/Sea Deviation Desk cannot be guaranteed the same flight itineraries as the other guests not deviating.
  • Carnival does not waitlist any deviation requests.
  • Carnival is not responsible for airline schedule changes or cancellations.
  • Carnival reserves the right to accept, withdraw or deny deviation requests or changes.
  • All names for individual bookings must be submitted with the initial request.
  • Seat assignments, boarding passes or special requests must be arranged by the travel agent or guest with the confirmed airline. Airline schedule changes may affect your seat assignments.
  • Scheduled transfer service between the airport and the pier is available only on arrival/departure cruise dates. On Alaska sailings, fly-aweigh guests who deviate intoSeattle will not be entitled to transfers.
  • Guests traveling from any Carnival's desingated overnight city will forfeit their overnighthotel accomodations when deviating more than one day prior to their sail date.
  • The issuance of airline tickets and cruise documentation begins approximately 30 days prior to sailing once the booking is paid in full.
  • Any deviations and upgrades for Carnival vacation packages must be done through your travel consultant or directly with the hotel or car rental company.
  • Please note: any occupancy changes may require a cabin change, subject to availability

I love this one:

Guest that deviate through the Air/Sea Deviation Desk cannot be guaranteed the same flight itineraries as the other guests not deviating.

Right up there with "Warning coffee is hot".

Thanks for the replies! So an extra $100 to fly the day before and then the extra money for a hotel. That would just about pay for the trip insurance I am going to get anyway. Think I'll roll the dice on this one and take my chances.

Thanks for the replies! So an extra $100 to fly the day before and then the extra money for a hotel. That would just about pay for the trip insurance I am going to get anyway. Think I'll roll the dice on this one and take my chances.

Plus the cost of the difference in the price of the airfare. Last time I tried it, they wanted double the original fare cost.

Rather than add your airfare onto your cruise, have you looked into booking your airfare yourself on the days/times you want? It might be cheaper in the long run.

Actually, thinking about having to pay $50 a person just to fly out a day early started to tick me off! So while my cruise is too far out to find any actual air fares for Feb 2009, I have been looking at Dec and it looks like it would save around $190 a person at current rates.

Our first cruise we just let Carnival just take care of everything but if I can save almost $400 bucks well I think it's time to do it myself! Would feel a lot better flying out the day before. I would think I could get a hotel room in Ft. Lauderdale for $400 a night. :D I would just need to find a hotel with a shuttle to the pier and maybe use Carnival to get us to the airport when we get back.

I'd hate to be stuck in a snow storm thinking about my ship sailing off into sunny 80 degree weather! :)

Just a thought and if the idea is wrong I expect to be corrected and that is no problem. Since you are along way to sail, why not cancel and then rebook a few days later and then tell them when you want to fly the day early. That way you save the deviation fee.

Robb

Actually, thinking about having to pay $50 a person just to fly out a day early started to tick me off! So while my cruise is too far out to find any actual air fares for Feb 2009, I have been looking at Dec and it looks like it would save around $190 a person at current rates.

Our first cruise we just let Carnival just take care of everything but if I can save almost $400 bucks well I think it's time to do it myself! Would feel a lot better flying out the day before. I would think I could get a hotel room in Ft. Lauderdale for $400 a night. :D I would just need to find a hotel with a shuttle to the pier and maybe use Carnival to get us to the airport when we get back.

I'd hate to be stuck in a snow storm thinking about my ship sailing off into sunny 80 degree weather! :)

Well, you've go lots of time. You have up until final payment date to drop the air portion. When comparing rates, remember the Carnival cost includes all transfers (including to/from hotel).

You can still probably do better on your own though (but not always).

We are in the process of booking a cruise. We discovered when booking the flight through Carnival instead of Cheaptickest.com, there was going to be about a $200 per person difference. For a family of four, we stuck to cheaptickets.com to find our cheapest flight. Then, we went to the specific airline to get the exact flight times at the same price. We also went to the website of the airport we will fly into to see if they offer, and if so, what type of deals they have for transportation to and from the port. So we know that cost also. $24 each way for a group up to 5. We use to think doing it all together would be better, but we discovered its much cheaper to do it seperate. A little more work to find the best deals, but worth it!;) Good luck with the flights!

You can fly out a day earlier if you like, they will pick you up, but this is where it gets sticky. They won't provide a hotel room for you. You will have to book a hotel room. Since you are located within a certain distance where you can get there the day of the cruise, you won't get an overnight hotel. That will be your cost, but it will be worth it to be rested and ready.

We are flying to Houston (Galveston) in February and Carnival decided to NOT fly us out the day before, but the day of the cruise. Not only did they want us to fly out the day of the cruise, but they wanted us to start this journey at 12:30am (Mountain time) to arrive in Houston at 11:15 am(hopefully) with the hopes the ship doesn't leave without us. Any delays of 30 minutes or longer would make us miss the 3pm check in deadline. We opted to try to get a better flight (we'd pay for a hotel), but they still wanted to give us a 10 hour flight back as opposed to a 7 hour. We cancelled and still had to pay the $50 each deviation fee (tack on an extra $150 to cancel the tentatively booked flights).

Do your best to get the flight you want, but be open to options.

Thanks!

:cool: :cool: We booked our trip back in August and decided this time to book our air with Carnival. Talk about falling in a barrel of **** and coming out smelling like a rose. It is costing us approx. 160.00 LESS each X 4 to fly from Thunder Bay via Minni to Fort Lauderdale. I was all set to pay $50.00 per person deviation and fly out a day earlier because last time we were the second last plane to get out of Minni before they closed the airport (your ice storm in February 2007). We know what you are talking about when you say OLD MAN WINTER. Carnival is flying us out a day earlier because of our isolated location, connections and possible winter problems. Because THEY are flying us out a day earlier, they provide us with accommodations (Airport Hilton - 256.00 per night) AND supply all transfers to and from the airport - hotel - port and back. Life couldn't be better. Happy cruising. Cindy from the Great White North

PS - I have never bought insurance in all the years of trips, cruises and all inclusives we have taken - I am afraid one of these times it is going to bite me in the ass. I keep looking around.

Well my wife and I talked about it and decided to book the flights ourselves. Even with adding in the hotel for one night we will save money and have more piece of mind flying out the day before. Plus the average temp in Minneapolis in Feb is 17 and Ft. Lauderdale is 68! One extra day in warm weather - priceless! :D

I also like being able to pick my own airline. We like Midwest Express and can use them if I book my own flight. All without paying a deviation fee!

Archived