Spirit Engine solution, your thoughts?

MrsLeo

Well, called NCL this am and the rep I talked to said management is working hard to renegotiate excursions. She said something to the effect of "and then you can rebook". So I guess if the original one is cancelled then you have to rebook to a new one that takes its place...problem I see is that if there are too many cancelled and the one you were going on is still going, you and 2800 people are going to be working hard to get on the few available excursions.

Oh well: They have a pool, hot tubs and numerous bars so it can't be too terrible...oh, and there won't be snow...did I mention that little fact?!?:)

You seem to know what you are talking about, so here is another question for you...

If, indeed, the diesel engine is now fixed, but the problem lies with the propeller, is it possible for the engine to continue to run and generate electricity without engaging the propulsion? This would be like having your car in neutral. If the engine is actually operational, then can this engine take on the responsibility for onboard electricity while the other three concentrate on propulsion?

I'm actually surprised that with one propeller down, the ship can actually make it to Roatan only two hours late! This seems amazing to me.

The diesel isn't directly connected to the main propulsion motors. It's only directly connected to it's generators.

The generators are connected to switchboards. The switchboards are connected to supply ship's service electricty, or electricity to the propulsion motors.

With fixed pitched propellers, to change the ship's speed, or rpms, the propulsion motors frequency must change.

This can be accomplished by variable speed drives for the motors. Therefore there's no need to change the generators frequency, which run at 60 or 50 Hz.

Yes, all four generators can be used for both ships service power or propulsion power.

Oh wise Electric One! How is it you know so much about this stuff? So is it your opinion that I will probably be missing my two week repo cruise on March 30? Especially if it needs a dry dock to fix the problemo?

Oh wise Electric One! How is it you know so much about this stuff? So is it your opinion that I will probably be missing my two week repo cruise on March 30? Especially if it needs a dry dock to fix the problemo?

Ncl still has not announced when they will (if they go to) drydock. I think it is fair to say that everyone booked for a future date should be worried. I just hope NCL makes an annoucement soon!

That depends upon what is wrong with the propellers, if there is a problem with the propellers?

Since I don't know, and I've only read things second hand, maybe or maybe not. I've only passed along what I've read here.

Talk about indecision corporations make every day. Here's one unassociated with NCL. It's about where I work. One of our unit's main generators rotor is almost grounded, approximately 15 kohms to ground at 22 kilo volts, bearing 10 on the turbine generator set has higher than normal vibrations, and the powers to be to call the shot, can't make up their minds whether to

shutdown the power plant to fix it within the next two weeks or so or wait for the readings to reach minimum/maximum allowed levels before tripping the generator.

Amongst their considerations is when they can get the turbine generator vendor's crew to the plant site, when replacement parts will be on site, and weather conditions; to make the shutdown for any repair the least costly for the utility. The estimate is it will take 20 days to fix both problems. Taking a 1200 MegaWatt generator off line costs the utility $1 million per day. They would rather do so in Spring, than mid winter, when replacement electricity doesn't cost as much. Corporation managers are often faced with Hobson Choices, where any good decision will cost them their bonuses. p.s. The craft at work think they will be forced to sooner rather than later, but for a major 20 day outage to be unannounced weeks before an outage is rare in our business. Having one in the middle of winter is even rarer.

That depends upon what is wrong with the propellers, if there is a problem with the propellers?

Since I don't know, and I've only read things second hand, maybe or maybe not. I've only passed along what I've read here.

Talk about indecision corporations make every day. Here's one unassociated with NCL. It's about where I work. One of our unit's main generators rotor is almost grounded, approximately 15 kohms to ground at 22 kilo volts, bearing 10 on the turbine generator set has higher than normal vibrations, and the powers to be to call the shot, can't make up their minds whether to

shutdown the power plant to fix it within the next two weeks or so or wait for the readings to reach minimum/maximum allowed levels before tripping the generator.

Amongst their considerations is when they can get the turbine generator vendor's crew to the plant site, when replacement parts will be on site, and weather conditions; to make the shutdown for any repair the least costly for the utility. The estimate is it will take 20 days to fix both problems. Taking a 1200 MegaWatt generator off line costs the utility $1 million per day. They would rather do so in Spring, than mid winter, when replacement electricity doesn't cost as much. Corporation managers are often faced with Hobson Choices, where any good decision will cost them their bonuses. p.s. The craft at work think they will be forced to sooner rather than later, but for a major 20 day outage to be unannounced weeks before an outage is rare in our business. Having one in the middle of winter is even rarer.

20 days cuts it close for my cruise to be cancelled. I just wish NCL would just say what they are going to do.

I can't believe we are having this conversation. Our final payment for our 4/19 cruise is Feb 4 ... has anyone called NCL directly to find out what they are saying about our cruise? I dont' think they should keep that info from us if they already have a good idea of what they are planning to do. I do not want to make the final payment, nor do I want to cancel if our cruise won't be affected. There has to be some way we can get better info???:(

tcrny, if you scroll through the associated Spirit threads, you will see that many folks have called NCL for definitive answers, but none are forthcoming, or the answers are contradictory at times.

My theory is really leaning toward the possibility they may cancel our two week long repo cruise March 30 and get it done in dry dock. If it were something they could fix on the fly, I don't think they would have issued the emails all of the way out to the March 23rd sailing. That is my guess, and for the sake of my fellow repo cruisers, I hope I am wrong, but that is what I am reading in the tea leaves.

Only time will tell.

Thanks MrsLeo ... I have not yet done my online registration, so they don't have my email (I don't think). So I don't know how they would notify me. I suppose I should just go thru with the pre-registration and hope for the best. I do hope also that your cruise is not affected and that the fix comes before then. I feel bad if anyone's cruise has to be canceled ... you wait so long because they are booked so far in advance. I know for our cruise on 4/19 this is spring break for all of NY. Our kids schools are closed, and at this point, there wouldn't be anything out there left to change to. That was the one thing why I booked Spirit because they were the only cruise I could find exactly on this week without having to take the kids out of school. Anyway, best of luck to us all.

Thanks MrsLeo ... I have not yet done my online registration, so they don't have my email (I don't think). So I don't know how they would notify me. I suppose I should just go thru with the pre-registration and hope for the best. I do hope also that your cruise is not affected and that the fix comes before then. I feel bad if anyone's cruise has to be canceled ... you wait so long because they are booked so far in advance. I know for our cruise on 4/19 this is spring break for all of NY. Our kids schools are closed, and at this point, there wouldn't be anything out there left to change to. That was the one thing why I booked Spirit because they were the only cruise I could find exactly on this week without having to take the kids out of school. Anyway, best of luck to us all.

You will find out here first. When Holland charted my cruise I found out on CC before my TA knew!

I feel bad for all parties . For those complaining about their $50 on board credit- you need to think of the consequences that others are facing. NCL needs to step up and advise us what is going on.

and now I got this when I went on the website:

temporary_message.gif

Not sure what was meant by it but when I called the NCL lady she said something to the fact all cruises til March 23 will be affected by a slowdown. They will fix it then when it goes into drydock. Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. For the most part she just kept saying um, um yeah.:confused:

Misand

Half of the people who answer the phones do not know anything besides the memo in front of them. I hope they tell whomever it is BEFORE final payment. Not that that would help anyone that had to buy airfare.

Hi ... we are on the same cruise 4/19. Just wondering if you called NCL. I don't know what it would do if we all called them - maybe they'd do more than give the reps a memo to read from. Any thoughts? This is a bummer ... I was so psyched about it being closer to our cruise to actually start planning ... and now this. I guess it happens, but still a bummer.

I am guessing that they will do some of the 2.0 upgrades to bedding and etc during the drydock to fix propeller (if there is really even an issue with the propeller or even if it has to be a drydock). Will be interesting to see if they will shorten the repositioning or shorten or cancel another cruise. It just makes sense to me that you would try to do it with the repo and shorten the repo cruise, but, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night so not sure.... :-)

Electricron, thanks for all the ship info.

I am guessing that they will do some of the 2.0 upgrades to bedding and etc during the drydock to fix propeller (if there is really even an issue with the propeller or even if it has to be a drydock). Will be interesting to see if they will shorten the repositioning or shorten or cancel another cruise. It just makes sense to me that you would try to do it with the repo and shorten the repo cruise, but, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night so not sure.... :-)

Electricron, thanks for all the ship info.

While they are at it they can change the bedding, rugs , and lounge chairs - ignore me- I am just disappointed right now.

JMO- It will be the repo( 14 days) OR the 1st 6 day and my 8 day out of NYC ( also 14 days)that will be effected. I would guess they are waiting to see when they will get drydock time.

Where are most drydocks done - on the Southern East Coast?

While they are at it they can change the bedding, rugs , and lounge chairs - ignore me- I am just disappointed right now.

JMO- It will be the repo( 14 days) OR the 1st 6 day and my 8 day out of NYC ( also 14 days)that will be effected. I would guess they are waiting to see when they will get drydock time.

Since the Spirit is in New Orleans, there's several options. New Orleans, Pascagoula, Mobile, and Tampa are the closest choices.

But Freeport is a very likely choice. Back in 2005, or was it 2006, the Spirit had its last drydock in San Francisco. Amongst the remodeling and refurbishing performed, there was one that wasn't, the addition of many BA cabins up on Deck 13. Assuming these cabins modules are in storage somewhere, they could be added on the Spirit's next drydock. The reason they weren't added on that drydock was the vendor couldn't get their workers green cards approved fast enough. Which might make Freeport a better choice this time around.

You would think NCL will want to add these cabins if they have to take the Spirit out of service. So, that additional refurbishing work has to be scheduled and planned at any future drydock. Which might explain why NCL hasn't announced one yet.

The Dawn was in drydock in Boston last year. I got to visit it everyday:D

Since the Spirit is in New Orleans, there's several options. New Orleans, Pascagoula, Mobile, and Tampa are the closest choices.

But Freeport is a very likely choice. Back in 2005, or was it 2006, the Spirit had its last drydock in San Francisco. Amongst the remodeling and refurbishing performed, there was one that wasn't, the addition of many BA cabins up on Deck 13. Assuming these cabins modules are in storage somewhere, they could be added on the Spirit's next drydock. The reason they weren't added on that drydock was the vendor couldn't get their workers green cards approved fast enough. Which might make Freeport a better choice this time around.

You would think NCL will want to add these cabins if they have to take the Spirit out of service. So, that additional refurbishing work has to be scheduled and planned at any future drydock. Which might explain why NCL hasn't announced one yet.

Hopefully BA's that are quads! I have a family of 4 and dislike that the Spirit has no quad balconies.

Honestly, if they cancel my cruise - I will have no other choice but to pay sky rocket airfare and cruise another cruise company.

NCL- make a decison and announce it! I am always an NCL cheerleader, and thing happen I understand, BUT be fair and give people enough time to make alternative plans!

We sailed on her right before or after (sorry can't remember) her last dry dock, it was also right after the big rogue wave came and knocked a window out, I recall that because we were right by the room that got flooded and while we were on board they were fixing the window. They had welded a big steel plate over the window as an interim fix.

Anyhow I had forgotten all about those BA cabins for deck 13. I have to agree it would be nice if they were quads, and for some reason I thought they were, but who can remember?

It sounds as though they could sure use the two weeks productively if they decide to use it. I think they could find plenty to do to fill the time, especially with the Freestyle 2.0 changes.

I dug around in my hard drive, and found this old gif about those Deck 13 cabins.

Deck13.gif

Apparently, they were just BAs that could sleep just two. Hopefully, that will change, as the Spirit could use some nicer cabin classes that sleep four. If they made them slightly larger, NCL could call them and sell them as mini-suites. Personally, I would also like to see NCL add some Family sized suites running in a line starboard to port just behind these cabins, overlooking the Kid's Pool area.

But if they did that, I don't know where they would place the basketball/volleyball/tennis court, and gold driving cage. But I bet they would find a place forward by the Celebrity Disco if they had too.

Check out these cabins numbers, there's no 4s, just like on the rest of the ship.

Archived