Spirit Engine solution, your thoughts?

MrsLeo

I'm with you (familyof4) - I am very frustrated at the lack of what is going on with this, other than the fact that we know there is a problem with the ship. My family and I are also cruising on the 4/19 sailing (God willing!) I am NOT comfortable sailing from NY to the Caribbean with an engine issue. I wish they would just inform us already of what's what. Especially now that today is the day that I am paying off my cruise. I can't stand being in limbo, but what choice do we have? I'm hoping someone from NCL or even an employee of the ship reads these boards and would be nice enough to fill us in on what's up! :confused:

(by the way - we sailed the Dawn the very next week after the rogue wave, and we didn't find out till the day before we were to leave, and ncl called us to tell us we would be delayed 1 day).

I've heard from someone who works on the Gem. He doesn't know anything.

I'm with you (familyof4) - I am very frustrated at the lack of what is going on with this, other than the fact that we know there is a problem with the ship. My family and I are also cruising on the 4/19 sailing (God willing!) I am NOT comfortable sailing from NY to the Caribbean with an engine issue. I wish they would just inform us already of what's what. Especially now that today is the day that I am paying off my cruise. I can't stand being in limbo, but what choice do we have? I'm hoping someone from NCL or even an employee of the ship reads these boards and would be nice enough to fill us in on what's up! :confused:

(by the way - we sailed the Dawn the very next week after the rogue wave, and we didn't find out till the day before we were to leave, and ncl called us to tell us we would be delayed 1 day).

I emailed someone BIG in NCL. That actually were nice enough to have someone call me back. All I was told, is if I feel uncomfortable to find other options for that week. I told them that the ONLY thing NCL has is the Dawn to Bermuda ( too cold). They do not even have ANYTHING out of FL. Everything is going REPOS that week.

We will have to wait and see. Once they make an itinerary change to the March 30th, that is when I know that we will be the ones cancelled. At this point RT airfare to Fl is $ 525 per person for that week, so I will wait it out and get my NCL compensation ( hopefully) and maybe just take a short cruise on Carnival- since there are no other options.

It is NOT to NCL's advantage to cancel us. There are so many available cabins for the 6 night before ours, but our sailing is almost completely sold out! They will take a big hit as well as having to compensate everyone.

Like I stated before if the March 23 sailing CAN NOT make it on time ro Roatan on time then neither can the March 30th sailing, so they are going to have to give us something soon.

I have another question. If we wind up with an altered itinerary (like a Florida/Bahamas one:mad: ) does anyone think that NCL will allow us to cancel or reschedule to another date???

I would say YES. Cancel but with no compensation.

If and when we rebook - we will have to pay the fuel surcharge! UGH

We have had this discussion before - I HATE that intinerary. I just can not do it again!

I emailed someone BIG in NCL. That actually were nice enough to have someone call me back. All I was told, is if I feel uncomfortable to find other options for that week. I told them that the ONLY thing NCL has is the Dawn to Bermuda ( too cold). They do not even have ANYTHING out of FL. Everything is going REPOS that week.

We will have to wait and see. Once they make an itinerary change to the March 30th, that is when I know that we will be the ones cancelled. At this point RT airfare to Fl is $ 525 per person for that week, so I will wait it out and get my NCL compensation ( hopefully) and maybe just take a short cruise on Carnival- since there are no other options.

It is NOT to NCL's advantage to cancel us. There are so many available cabins for the 6 night before ours, but our sailing is almost completely sold out! They will take a big hit as well as having to compensate everyone.

Like I stated before if the March 23 sailing CAN NOT make it on time ro Roatan on time then neither can the March 30th sailing, so they are going to have to give us something soon.

I really don't think they're going to cancel us. But I'm really getting concerned that we may wind up on a Florida/Bahamas itinerary:mad:

One more thing, Familyof4, did whoever you spoke to give you any idea whether or not this engine thing was going to get fixed?? (I mean before November)

All they could say is that until an OFFICIAL annoucement is made everything will go on as scheduled.

I knew I was getting no where. You can not expect anyone to tell you something that NCL is not ready to devulge.

Well folks we are now less than two months away from the March 30 repo cruise. Final Payment was made nearly 2 weeks ago and no word has come from NCL regarding changed itinerary, or anything.

The last cruise affected in their last announcement was March 23, so one would think we should be hearing something already. The best advice I can give to any of you, is if you have invested a substantial amount in anything on this cruise that you will lose, should the cruise be cancelled or the itinerary be altered, make sure you have good travel insurance, that will cover such an event.

Aside from that, our hands are tied. There is nothing anyone can do, until they decide to let us know what is going down.

:eek: Thanks for all the feedback and great replies. Looks like we're all in the same position. I'm sure as soon as anyone finds out anything, it will be posted on these boards.

I was originally booked on the Gem for this week (I think Familyof4 was too) and I found out here first about the cancellation before anyone on the customer service end of NCL knew.

Good luck to everyone here. I will not be rebooking a cruise for spring break if this gets cancelled. I'm not paying that kind of $ to fly to Fla. for a cruise for 2 adults and 2 children.

I was on the Spirit last week. Asked a senior staff member about this issue and was told the repair will occur during November drydock,for what it is worth. You never know whether the staff is well iformed or not,buI'm crossing my fingers for all of you.

Thanks for all of your postings. We have a cruise planned on the Spirit for May 31 for 8 days out of New York. I know this is a while away but, I just got on here and read all of your postings and now I am also worried.

We have been on alot of cruises in the past and I can truly say CC is the best place to read information about cruises cancelled or changed. We have had our cruise cancelled with NCL and read on cc, before NCL told us anything. We experienced a cancelled cruise with NCL and also had a situation with Princess Golden cruise coming in a day late.

They (Princess) did not inform us until we had already flown to New York to board the ship by email late the evening we departed. Luckly we read the cc postings before we left for New York, so we would know how to pack for an overnight in New York, so many thought they would be getting on the ship upon flying into New York, wrong, they put us up in a hotel for a day until the ship came in. So our cruise was shortened a day and they give us a cruise credit on board, for that day, the best I remember. Its upsetting to not learn the facts from the cuise lines.

We have learned to read and check cc first and then call the cruise lines.

We deal directly with the indivdually cruise lines and not a TA and they don't let you know either, until after the fact.

I will be reading daily these postings and hope and pray that no one has to cancel their vacation. We know how disspointing that can be.

WEH

I was on the Spirit last week. Asked a senior staff member about this issue and was told the repair will occur during November drydock,for what it is worth. You never know whether the staff is well iformed or not,buI'm crossing my fingers for all of you.

It sounds like it is not much of an issue if the repair is not being done until November.

It sounds like it is not much of an issue if the repair is not being done until November.

But it is an issue, like I have said before if the Spirit CAN NOT make it to Roatan on time on March 23 what will make it get there on time on March 30th?????or even get from NYC to St Thomas??

I think they say what they are told to say. Believe me I hope I am wrong and I hope this is all a scare, but it just doesnt make sense.

Well folks we are now less than two months away from the March 30 repo cruise. Final Payment was made nearly 2 weeks ago and no word has come from NCL regarding changed itinerary, or anything.

The last cruise affected in their last announcement was March 23, so one would think we should be hearing something already. The best advice I can give to any of you, is if you have invested a substantial amount in anything on this cruise that you will lose, should the cruise be cancelled or the itinerary be altered, make sure you have good travel insurance, that will cover such an event.

Aside from that, our hands are tied. There is nothing anyone can do, until they decide to let us know what is going down.

I always buy travel insurance, so that is not an issue. But if NCL cancels we will get our money back. So what do you think insurance can do for us then? If we do not travel at all that week, we paid for insurance that we are not using. I am just asking because I am wondering if I am missing something. Thanks

I think the repo must go... altered ( times) due to the engine, but you will go. From there, I do not know what will happen. I really was hoping that they were waiting for a part, that by March 30th, they would just fix the engine, but everyone is getting that it will be fixed in November at drydock. That concerns me.

I am a fan of NCL - I am a platinum Latitudes member. I understand they have to wait to give us news. I just wish they could be more courteous

and understand that all we want is some news. They know what is going on and are just waiting it out. You can tell that I hate when I have no control. Sorry for my rant.

Maybe someone with some technical knowledge(Electricron) can help us figure this out.

Past passengers are reporting that the Spirit is currently sailing at 20-22 knots, isn't this close to top speed??

They are also reporting leaving NO at the same time, arriving back to NO at the correct time and arriving at all other ports except Roatan on time. They are only arriving about 2 hours late.

Isn't it possible for those of us on the 4/19 sailing to just arrive about 2 hours late at our first port and then continue on our merry way??

Any thoughts??

Maybe someone with some technical knowledge(Electricron) can help us figure this out.

Past passengers are reporting that the Spirit is currently sailing at 20-22 knots, isn't this close to top speed??

They are also reporting leaving NO at the same time, arriving back to NO at the correct time and arriving at all other ports except Roatan on time. They are only arriving about 2 hours late.

Isn't it possible for those of us on the 4/19 sailing to just arrive about 2 hours late at our first port and then continue on our merry way??

Any thoughts??

I would LOVE that answer. We are due in to St Thomas at 11:00 so that would bring us in at 1:00 instead. Please if anyone has any technical knowledge chime in.

family of four there is more at risk than the cost of just the cruise, which of course would be refunded if it was cancelled. Who is going to pay for your airline tickets? Especially if they are non refundable? Who is going to pay the change fee on them if there is a charge to change them to use them on another trip? What if you book a non-refundable shore excursion and the ship arrives late into port or the cruise or port is cancelled altogether. What if you booked a hotel pre or post cruise through Hotwire or Priceline and it is not refundable...This sort of stuff adds up and that is why I admonished people to ensure that they have travel insurance that covers their specific needs to protect these sorts of investments. As for your specific situation, I don't know, that is something you will have to sort out for yourself.

I am not sure why some think the repo cruise must go.It is every bit as vulnerable as any of the itineraries. As a matter of fact it may be more vulnerable because they would only have to compensate one set of passengers from a pretty moderately priced cruise, and it does not appear to be sold out at this time and if they cancelled it they would have two weeks to fix the engine and do some freestyle 2.0 upgrades, then go directly to NYC to start the new itinerary from there. Since we are still getting mixed stories on the proposed engine fix, that leads me to believe no one really knows anything and we won't know anything until they want us to.

The other thing that is strange is that they have not issued any updated itinerary for the repo cruise.

Spec for the Spirit's speed are: Average Cruise Speed: 24 knots

Maximum Cruise Speed: 25.5 knots

family of four there is more at risk than the cost of just the cruise, which of course would be refunded if it was cancelled. Who is going to pay for your airline tickets? Especially if they are non refundable? Who is going to pay the change fee on them if there is a charge to change them to use them on another trip? What if you book a non-refundable shore excursion and the ship arrives late into port or the cruise or port is cancelled altogether. What if you booked a hotel pre or post cruise through Hotwire or Priceline and it is not refundable...This sort of stuff adds up and that is why I admonished people to ensure that they have travel insurance that covers their specific needs to protect these sorts of investments. As for your specific situation, I don't know, that is something you will have to sort out for yourself.

I am not sure why some think the repo cruise must go.It is every bit as vulnerable as any of the itineraries. As a matter of fact it may be more vulnerable because they would only have to compensate one set of passengers from a pretty moderately priced cruise, and it does not appear to be sold out at this time and if they cancelled it they would have two weeks to fix the engine and do some freestyle 2.0 upgrades, then go directly to NYC to start the new itinerary from there. Since we are still getting mixed stories on the proposed engine fix, that leads me to believe no one really knows anything and we won't know anything until they want us to.

The other thing that is strange is that they have not issued any updated itinerary for the repo cruise.

Spec for the Spirit's speed are: Average Cruise Speed: 24 knots

Maximum Cruise Speed: 25.5 knots

Thank you for the clarification! I am taking for granted that I live in NY, and all those things such as air and hotel, are not an issue for me on this particular cruise.

I do agree you are as vulnerable and we are. We can all get paranoid. The ship does have to get to NY. It would be a wasted trip without any passengers. NCL cancelled the Dawn trips ( for drydock) last year 60 days out and you guys are at the 59 day mark.

They do have to issue an itinerary change for your sailing. As for my sailing, I would HATE to go to FL/ Bahamas. I do not know if I would prefer to be cancelled and have the headache of planning something else.

NCL has to know how long it will take the Spirit to get to St Thomas from NY on the engine power they have. As for your sailing how are they getting to Roatan on time?

I don't know how we will make it to all of our stops on time, especially Roatan. I think the only reason they would cancel any of these cruises is if they have to go in to drydock to repair whatever is wrong with the engine.

I question getting to Roatan on time, as well as Aruba and then how long it will take us to get from Samana to NYC. I am no old salt but this route has lot of long stretches between NOLA and Roatan, Belize and Aruba, Samana and NYC, I don't know how they will make it to any of these ports on time. I guarantee this is going to get interesting.

I don't know how we will make it to all of our stops on time, especially Roatan. I think the only reason they would cancel any of these cruises is if they have to go in to drydock to repair whatever is wrong with the engine.

I question getting to Roatan on time, as well as Aruba and then how long it will take us to get from Samana to NYC. I am no old salt but this route has lot of long stretches between NOLA and Roatan, Belize and Aruba, Samana and NYC, I don't know how they will make it to any of these ports on time. I guarantee this is going to get interesting.

EXACTLY!!!!

Our last stop is Samana also and then back to NYC - no way are they going to make it back. NCL is going to make the Spirit arrive late the whole summer????

Very interesting!

Airfare as of today is $525 to FL from NY

I am spending my time searching the internet for an affordable substitute vacation.

The kicker is I will be away on a cruise when we are 60 days out. I may be paying outrageous on board internet prices to find an alternate plan.

Mrsleo-it's already interesting.:cool: Do you ever wonder if someone from NCL is sitting back reading these boards and shaking their heads or laughing at us. To bad they can't just build a new ship and put us on it. I know you can't build a ship in 2 months but hey, hows that for positive thinking. I did not stop to think about getting to the other ports, I was just upset about Roatan, You are right about the long stretches. Does anyone know of any cruises that have been canceled less than 60 days out?

Mrsleo-it's already interesting.:cool: Do you ever wonder if someone from NCL is sitting back reading these boards and shaking their heads or laughing at us. To bad they can't just build a new ship and put us on it. I know you can't build a ship in 2 months but hey, hows that for positive thinking. I did not stop to think about getting to the other ports, I was just upset about Roatan, You are right about the long stretches. Does anyone know of any cruises that have been canceled less than 60 days out?

Remember if they do not fix the engine they will have this problem all summer long.

They definitely read these boards. They should actually feel bad for us. Paranoia has set in - especially with me. We can not even enjoy our countdown to our vacations, for fear of a disappointment.

Remember if they do not fix the engine they will have this problem all summer long.

They definitely read these boards. They should actually feel bad for us. Paranoia has set in - especially with me. We can not even enjoy our countdown to our vacations, for fear of a disappointment.

I understand exactly how you feel, On my rollcall I have been branded a worrier and complainer:confused: I totally agree with the worrier, but not the complainer. Unless you want to count that I am complaining about NCL not letting us know anything, 'specially since one person from our roll call has called and they confirmed the delay getting to Roatan but have not let us know anything about it. Last we heard was all cruises up till the 23rd.

I understand exactly how you feel, On my rollcall I have been branded a worrier and complainer:confused: I totally agree with the worrier, but not the complainer. Unless you want to count that I am complaining about NCL not letting us know anything, 'specially since one person from our roll call has called and they confirmed the delay getting to Roatan but have not let us know anything about it. Last we heard was all cruises up till the 23rd.

I am probably the pessimist on my roll call, but this all doesn't make sense. I just can not brush it under the rug.

On NCL's site your arrival time still says 1:00 and the March 23 has the adjusted time of arrival.

Now you two, we have to be realists here, if the engine isn't fixed by the end of the March 23rd cruise, something is going to have to give. If it is something they cannot fix on the fly, they will have to invent a substitute itinerary, which may be one of the reasons they are keeping mum. Because it will be quite a production to do so. Especially for a 14 day cruise, and it will take some time to get those ducks in a row.

If it is something that requires a drydock, someone's cruise is going to get cancelled or severely altered and that will all depend on availability of drydock facilities and the parts to fix it.

So I think it is prudent to be prepared that something is going to happen. I am not saying the cruise will be cancelled, but I am saying, that if the engine doesn't get fixed by the time we cruise there is no way we can do our scheduled itinerary.

I also believe that if they radically alter the itinerary, they will offer the option of a refund.

Archived